Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
This 2015 R/T has been giving me trouble with the trunk latch. It started a few months back. The button sometimes was non responsive at first, the FOB started to give spotty service (For trunk latch) and now even the dash button will not open the trunk.
The car has not been in any rear end collisions, is not rusty or humid, Miles are under 30,000 but the purchase date was 3-15 so I am just out of the warranty.
Today as i "clicked" the FOB or dash switch, I could hear the latch try to work. I opened the trunk from inside and while standing at the rear, I manually closed the latch using a screwdriver and pressed the FOB. It worked fine...TWICE then would not do anything after that. I bought another switch and installed it but I still get nothing from either the dash or the FOB.
I really hate the way new cars are so damn "connected" as compared to cars just a few short years ago with real keys and CD players.
I can't even find a fuse. The panel is in the trunk near the battery and the diagram shows no fuse for the trunk light or wiring.
Anyone else had the same problem and been able to correct it?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional info:
I have been able to get the trunk open the following way:
Start the car from inside, let run for a moment. Hit dash switch OR press trunk button and it opens...MOST of the time but not always. Sometimes it will open several times , other times I get ONE chance to open and after that, it will not open but I hear either a faint click or nothing.
I'm trying to make sense of it.
The three wire connector: Using a test light, all three terminals are dead with the plug disconnected. I suspect it has one terminal for a ground and without it grounded, the other 2 terminals will not light up. I am NOT going to take a chance and ground the wrong terminal and fry something.
Intermittent electrical stuff really sucks.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To date, 71 views and not a single suggestion from the forum.
I'm not sure if this is good news that nobody else has had any trouble or bad news since nobody has a fix yet!
Maybe both.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,934 Posts
I have to admit sir, I have never had or seen an issue like that and I am a certified mechanic (most days). Now years ago on a 2007 Miata (my ex-wife's car) the trunk would start opening on it's own for no apparent reason and sometimes it wouldn't open at all. After much troubleshooting it was discovered a leak from the trunk seal allowed water to get to the harness for the trunk. The wiring pig-tail plug was shot from corrosion and caused a short. I don't think this is your problem but the MAIN wiring connection for the rear harness is behind the rear right fascia, you can reach it by removing the right rear tail lamp. If you already replaced the trunk switch you know how that harness goes in and out. It's worth a look anyway.

Reactions: Kern Dog

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This damn car.... there is no consistent way to get the trunk open using the FOB. It sometimes works in a few different conditions but is not repeatable.
The inside cable pull works fine. The electronics of the system are AFU. What the heck, man??? What is really screwed is that the car is fully electronic. There is NO actual key to open the trunk. What idiot came up with this stupid idea? What advantage does this give to the car owner> Anti theft? I don't live in a dirtbag ghetto neighborhood so the electronic system has no interest to me. Had I known how reliant new cars are on "keyless" this or electronic that, I'd have given Dodge the finger and spent the $37,000 on an old car that I can fix myself. Electronic bullshit like this is beyond the skills of the average amateur wrench like me.
Of COURSE this develops after the warranty expires.....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts
@DodgeCares not sure what, if any, help you can offer this member slightly out of warranty

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,188 Posts
I would guess that you have a problem with the solenoid or wiring harness.

If you go to the dealer, they can read a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Your Body Control Module (BCM) stores this code for any fault detected with the deck lid sense circuit.

If you don't want to go to the dealer, check out the attached photo for a no-cost solution developed by one of our resourceful members.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
****update****

***UPDATE****

I hate it when a question is asked on a forum and the OP never comes back to comment on whether or not the problem was solved.
A few days after I started this thread, I bought a new trunk latch and installed it. The car seemed fine but within a few minutes, the latch was doing the same thing as before.
This week we had the car at the dealer for the RECALL on the cruise control. I had them look at the truck latch problem. They claimed the latch was bad. There is some backorder on the latch assemblies so it was a good thing that I bought the one I did, when I did. I forgot to bring the latch with the car so I swapped it out after getting the car back.
All is fine again. Thank you for the replies.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,635 Posts
Thanks for following through with your solution. It is appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts