Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping a 2015+ rear cradle with the ZF 230mm differential into a 2014 R/T. Does anyone know part numbers for the bolts that mount the cradle to unibody (could most likely use the old, but want to go with new ones.) Also need part numbers for bolts that mount the differential to the cradle. If anyone has this info, or can refer me to someone who does, I appreciate your response. Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT
89 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT
89 Posts
I wish you good fortune and little to no gear oil spilled, good sir.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
Well old diff is out.

20200418_142742.jpg

Looks like the rear bolts have to be used as you can't remove them with the cradle in.

20200418_142754.jpg

Car saw one season of snow by the previous owner and look at the rust.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
Cracked open the old one for fun and was expecting to see abnormal gear tooth wear pattern due to the whine but everything looks fine even the bearings (did not look at the pinion bearing yet).

20200418_153320.jpg
20200418_153332.jpg
20200418_153325.jpg

Have the new diff ready to go in but now I am debating if I should get upgraded half shafts. Since one had a broken boot clamp for what looks like ever since the car was new I was thinking of just pulling both of them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cracked open the old one for fun and was expecting to see abnormal gear tooth wear pattern due to the whine but everything looks fine even the bearings (did not look at the pinion bearing yet).
View attachment 991779
View attachment 991780
View attachment 991781

Have the new diff ready to go in but now I am debating if I should get upgraded half shafts. Since one had a broken boot clamp for what looks like ever since the car was new I was thinking of just pulling both of them.
Are you swapping it out just to change ratios, or because the old one is potentially worn?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
Old one was whinny. It is already the LSD 3.90 so just swapped in a new one. It is in now just need to add the one piece drive shaft adapter and exhaust but will do that tomorrow. The trans jack from HF made it a breeze. No joke, has got to be one of the easiest diff swaps I have ever done. 12" wheel cribs to hold the back up give more than enough room.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT
89 Posts
Super stoked you got it out, man! You are in the same place I was regarding the axles. Those things ain't cheap, but they are really nice.

A note on the axles: I've been meaning to make a final post on my install thread, but I'll just mention it here. When I got my axles from DSS, the lengths were not the same as stock. The DSS ones are equal in length. The left stock axle is about a half inch longer than the right. This utterly devastated me. I had waited two weeks for these things on top of all that time between getting the diff swapped and the prop shaft ordered. I contacted DSS and worked with one of their techs. Sent pics of the stock axles vs. the DSS one. Since I'm apparently one of the first late model installs they asked me to install them anyway. We did a test where we measured for play on a loaded axle installed on an unloaded side. Turns out, it fit! I've been testing them since and everything is working fine. Well, everything but that damn ABS tone ring. That's another story I'll post elsewhere.

Once I get the new diff broken in, I'm swapping the oil and installing my brace. I'm at 250 of 500 miles.

Again, congrats on your successful extraction. I'm anxious to hear what call you make on half shafts!

Reactions: SLP-RT

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered some DSS axles myself, how long was the wait for them?

ChallyTatum, did you ever find a Chicago area shop to tune your 6.2 cam?

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT
89 Posts
Just ordered some DSS axles myself, how long was the wait for them?
It was a full two weeks. Granted, this was right as the virus stuff was starting to ramp up. Don't know where they are now.

Reactions: SLP-RT

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
Well I decided to get the axles at a later time. Still have to get a dyno tune and 3" exhaust and Wilwood aero 6 brakes. :) Time to take this biotch out for a spin to see if the whine is finally gone!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
Just a quick update. Drove around for couple of hours yesterday and to work today and ZERO whine. Almost half tempted to try and rebuild old unit but sourcing bearings and shims may prove difficult. Only thing I see available are the seals. It's a shame to scrap this old unit as gears/spool are in good shape.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT
89 Posts
Very glad to hear it worked out for you man!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
So I have been noticing a faint whine on decel with the new diff. What gives?! I have been gentle with it since the install. I thought this might be normal but just after the swap it did not make a peep. I swear these F'ing diffs are garbage. I don't hear whine when accelerating or holding steady speed...just decel which has me thinking it could mean not enough pinion bearing pre-load? To hell with this new diff...I am going to beat it like a read-headed donkey.

·
Super Moderator
15,564 Posts
So I have been noticing a faint whine on decel with the new diff. What gives?! I have been gentle with it since the install. I thought this might be normal but just after the swap it did not make a peep. I swear these F'ing diffs are garbage. I don't hear whine when accelerating or holding steady speed...just decel which has me thinking it could mean not enough pinion bearing pre-load? To hell with this new diff...I am going to beat it like a read-headed donkey.
to through the various levels of break-in to let the gears and bearings wear in and see how it does.

IMO, these are still much better than the Getrags - all of those go bad even with light use

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
Normally when something like this happens I go into Polish Hulk mode where I get so mad that I won't stop until I fix the problem.

This diff has made me go into regular Hulk mode where I am so mad I want to smash it to pieces.

Although if it annoys me enough I might try tightening the pinion nut to give a little more pre-load. My experience with whine is it does not go away...just gets louder over time.

Or maybe I wait until I install the AWE exhaust...hopefully it will be loud enough I won't hear the whine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts