Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus STP
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else have cracks in the Rear Tail Light Assembly? Meaning the piece that the Dodge word emblem is attached to. It can only be from opening the trunk because you push the button, the trunk pops up a bit and you have to pull up from there to open up the trunk. There's no other way to open the trunk than to pull up on the lip of that part and it feels like that whole assembly is pulling apart when I do. It looks like affects the 2015 and up models to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Not on mine. My trunk pops open enough for me to put my fingers under the lid, and gently pull up, without pulling out at all. It opens very easily. Sometimes I will use the spoiler, out at the end, and like I said, it almost wants to open on its own. It takes very little effort. I wonder if your spring tension isn't correct on yours, and is requiring a lot more effort to open.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The spring tension sounds like a good idea to check because it is harder to open that my 2010 was.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,987 Posts
I always open/close by the spoiler end. I rarely get close to the piano black plastic unless detailing. A Guy

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Be careful when closing with the end of the spoiler to make sure you don't smash your fingers. This is a theoretical thing only. I have no real world experience with this situation. Uh, yeah... That's my story.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
496 Posts
I sometime grab on the inside of the tail lights to close but I have to say I dont open the trunk all that often.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have too many years ingrained into me to never push on a spoiler. I don't personally know anyone who cracked a spoiler pushing a 10 sec car onto the track. Uh, yeah... That's my story.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Has anyone else have cracks in the Rear Tail Light Assembly? Meaning the piece that the Dodge word emblem is attached to. It can only be from opening the trunk because you push the button, the trunk pops up a bit and you have to pull up from there to open up the trunk. There's no other way to open the trunk than to pull up on the lip of that part and it feels like that whole assembly is pulling apart when I do. It looks like affects the 2015 and up models to me.
I messed up my center section by using Goo Gone after removing the DODGE letters. Never use that stuff, it turned the area white! Lucky for me, rubbing compound took dare if it, however there is still some residual swirling. Anyways, last time I was at the dealer, I asked the parts guy how much that center piece is........he came back with $1200. Ouch!

I would look into having it replaced under warranty. Don't tell them anything about pulling on the center section, just show them what it looks like. Is it filling up with water?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That guy was smoking crack.
Part Number: 68195784AF ; 68195784AD; 68195784AE; 68195784AC
At Mopar Parts Overstock it lists $967 but discounts to $672.80
http://bit.ly/2kDt046

No, It's not a separation where water could get in but a crack. Kinda like you'd see if you peeled off a piece of fiberglass.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
That guy was smoking crack.
Part Number: 68195784AF ; 68195784AD; 68195784AE; 68195784AC
At Mopar Parts Overstock it lists $967 but discounts to $672.80
http://bit.ly/2kDt046
I wouldn't put it past some dealerships, including my local one, to try to charge $1200. They are always more expensive than anywhere I try. Like, they want $225 for a key FOB when most other dealerships online want $120. That's a nice 90% EXTRA profit for them. Yeah, Crack. I agree. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon.

The main reason I sometimes use the end of the spoiler is that the lid wants to slam pretty hard, and it allows me to slow its descent. I would never think of pushing a car by the spoiler, or do anything else that seemed to actually put any stress on it. I do like, and use, the strap I got with my DIPS screens. Like others have said, it would be easy to create something from stuff from a hobby shop.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
You could always grow a foot or two and then you'd have no problems closing the trunk.

Or reaching the top cupboard.

Or slamming your head on every door frame.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I already have two. Carrying around extra feet just to close the trunk lid seems like a hassle, and quite wasteful!

Speaking of slamming your head. I went to test drive a 2015 Dart back in 2015, and hit my head so hard while getting in, I just got back out and said that car wasn't going to work for us. Man, I'm not tall. How do people get in and out of those things?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts