Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!
Just registered here to ask this: are there any problems to be expected when I swap my 2015 RT A8 x-pipes with separate pipes?

For the backstory, I'm living in Germany and imported the RT from Canada, and I was a bit disappointed with the lack of sound. Since I currently can't afford a full exhaust system (pretty expensive if road legal) and removing the mufflers or resonators can also cause problems with the law, I thought about just changing the piping. That should not stand out since that could just be a repair job :)

From what I found online, a true dual exhaust may decrease power but should get me some "old school" V8 sound. I found a Challenger owner in Switzerland with a 2012 RT M6 and 2 stainless steel pipes instead of the h pipes and he reports no downsides and much better sound while leaving the mufflers and resonators untouched.

So, any thoughts on this?

Edit: Forgot to ask, the pipes in question are 2.25"?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the OEM pipes myself. FCA put some thought into that configuration. I swapped my OEM mufflers for Dynomax Mini Bullets and oooh baby! Sweet sound for a couple hundred bucks, or so, installed. Not obnoxious cruising around but really barks on WOT and has better growl at idle. Have also heard good reports of people going with the good old Cherry Bomb glass packs (even though they're not packed with glass any more).

·
Registered
759 Posts
I run a true dual but a lot of other stuff so I cant tell you about how it will change stock sound. It will make the car "lope" more because the disconnect pipes will separate the two sides of the engine. Nothing major, and probably not any louder though.

You cant replace mufflers over there?

You could always open your mufflers up and gut them lol

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Don't remove the x pipe, that actually balances back pressure and is there for power. Way better options for sound than removing that. There is a reason high performance dual systems all run x pipes now. It's a good thing. Remove your mufflers under the car and keep the resonators behind the rear bumper for better sound. Easy and common mod for better sound.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Don't remove the "X-Pipe." You will lose power. I have a 2016 5.7 manual, I removed the mid-muffler and the car did not make that much more noise. Try that 1st - you could always put the mid-muffler back on if you don't like it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we can change stuff, but to keep it legal it has to have some kind of certificate for safety and such things. Basically a manufacturer has to put his parts through some tests and have a third party verify that it doesn't break and endanger people on the road. Same goes for every other aspect. So exhaust can be louder than stock, but there are basically just full catback system in the legal range and we are talking about over $2000 just for the system, installation and the legal check (yes, even if the part is legal you have to have your car check after installation, and they compare part numbers to the ones in the legal papers) is another $500.

So since I just bought the car that's a bit over budget.

How much of a power loss are we talking about? The guy from Switzerland told me he checked his EVIC 0-60 times before and after and there was no difference. But his is a 2012 M6 RT and had an h-pipe, so I'm not sure if that's the same.
But for the power output the 2012 5.7l engine should be the same as the 2015 5.7l engine, and the minor difference between auto and manual is negligible imo.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Check out this compare on pipes

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Dupe, oops

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice, thanks for that!
So essentially it doesn't matter, but straight pipes are louder (2 dB is very audible, since 3 dB difference is double value).
Since I'm not racing or anything and generally drive like my grandpa, I'm sold on the straight pipes!

Removing or replacing the mufflers is always an option for later on though :)

·
Registered
3,310 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
You can take it for what its worth in regards to my build. I built my entire car before going to a true dual exhaust. It lost a few foot pounds down low but gained hp up top. On a stock car, expect that you will lose a little bit more tq down low and not gain as much up high.

Its a give and take and to some 5hp is no problem to lose and others will spend a couple hundred dollars to get that extra 5hp. Sound or performance or a good mix of both, its a personal preference.

I can't stand 95% of mufflers out there so it was an easy decision for me. If you want really loud mufflers that will not completely lose you that 5hp/tq you can try cherry bombs or another glasspack style. Only style of muffler I like on my performance cars.

·
Registered
153 Posts
get rid of the mid pipes and replace them with SLP loud mouth bullet mufflers or dynamax race mufflers and thank me later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts