Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so before my eye blow out of my head. Can anyone tell me what they have done to replace the POS 2 piece driveshafts in their cars? I have researched these threads and not come up with a thread yet. Also have been researching online to come up with a viable solution I can pass on that isn't 8-12 weeks out, and is a bolt in solution. I know about the DSS 1 piece. Heard of some other companies as well, but they are too far out in time to get me one for my daily driver. A lot of the threads I have read, have been about automatic trans driveshafts as well which doesn't help my situation at all. So far I'm in contact with a company about some flanged yokes that can be bolted to the factory yokes on the cars and then they will build a driveline to match. when I get some more info and maybe a driveshaft I'll let you all know what I came up with. Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you need something "now" then a custom build will likely be your only option. The whole automotive industry is being hit by shortages in raw materials (OEM and aftermarket) causing production delays. Even when there was no shortage, lead times were still common because it's not a great idea to have a stack of driveshafts sitting around a warehouse collecting dust and risking damage to an item that needs to be delicately balanced to operate correctly. Remember, parts that are sitting still cost whoever holds those parts money. In the past when I've needed to replace driveshafts in a hurry I have had good luck at local driveline shops (many of them mostly serve big trucks and fleet customers). They were able to take a few measurements and replace my terrible stock 2-piece driveshaft in my 2005 Mustang with a stout unit that was still lighter than the factory shaft in only an hour or two. That was nearly 15 years ago but the price was a fraction of specialty shops offerings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually went to a local driveshaft shop and they are building me a factory replacement (2 weeks out). I still want to have someone build me a 1 piece. I've found some bolt on yokes for the trans and differential and the same company can build me a 1 piece driveshaft as well.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T 5.7L A8 Pitch Black aka "Black Beauty"
60 Posts
I put the 4" Aluminum one piece from the Driveshaft Shop on mine, after I tore my OEM rubber carrier bearing support free from the housing and replaced that with a new OEM, I never got trust back for the OEM, because the replacement OEM showed no improvements at all over the original, so another failure was just a matter of time. No regrets going with the Aluminum driveshaft, response is so much better, 1/4 mile time improved, and peace of mind improved, a one piece driveshaft should have been on these cars from the beginning. No vibration either!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I put the 4" Aluminum one piece from the Driveshaft Shop on mine, after I tore my OEM rubber carrier bearing support free from the housing and replaced that with a new OEM, I never got trust back for the OEM, because the replacement OEM showed no improvements at all over the original, so another failure was just a matter of time. No regrets going with the Aluminum driveshaft, response is so much better, 1/4 mile time improved, and peace of mind improved, a one piece driveshaft should have been on these cars from the beginning. No vibration either!
$1k price tag?

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still waiting for the 2 piece to be done and sent out to me. I had a 1 piece built with Sonnax bolt on yokes. Unfortunately the driveshaft had a major vibration at 60 and continued to get worse to 80. I took it back off and I'm having the company recheck the balance. I have heard from a friend that he doesn't use that company anymore because the driveshafts he's had done always vibrate. So if this doesn't fix it, I'll take it to a different company and have them check it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So... I'm still waiting for the 2 piece replacement to show up. Maybe friday of next week. The one piece steel tube is basically a no go because it is causing a harmonic vibration. The local driveshaft company is also trying to build a one piece aluminum shaft for me, but not sure how long out it will be. I've been without the car for 2 months now and it's really getting frustrating not being able to drive it. 😡

·
Registered
2015 Sublime Challenger R/T - 6M - STP
25 Posts
I put a DSS 4in one piece aluminum in when the factory 2 piece failed. I just searched until I found the best price and confirmed it was in stock before hitting the buy button. I also added the standard diff brace from Performance Development.

Total was a hair over 1k for driveshaft shipped and 245.00 for diff brace. No vibration, quicker launches and has that "old school" feel when shifting.

Don't get me started about driveshafts on here :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a new 2 piece driveshaft installed now and a DSS 1 piece on the way. The 2 piece that I had built looks like it can be rebuilt. Still need to order the cradle lockout kit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I put a DSS 4in one piece aluminum in when the factory 2 piece failed. I just searched until I found the best price and confirmed it was in stock before hitting the buy button. I also added the standard diff brace from Performance Development.

Total was a hair over 1k for driveshaft shipped and 245.00 for diff brace. No vibration, quicker launches and has that "old school" feel when shifting.

Don't get me started about driveshafts on here :)
Sometimes it is so difficult to explain to someone else the difference the one piece driveshaft makes but it is quicker on the launch, there is literally zero delay from acceleration to tire movement, and that is something you have to experience to understand. Mine also has no vibration and honestly it feels like the car should have felt from the beginning IMO. (y):)

Reactions: DailyChallenger
1 - 11 of 11 Posts