Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 RT+ M6 that I love only has 11k miles but I am over the M6 in my daily traffic. Still owe 26k so trading isn't going to happen. I want to start gathering parts to.make the swap when I have the loan paid off. Does anyone know if this is possible?

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Sorry to say but it's cheaper to trade/sell your M6 R/T to get an A5/A8 challenger than swapping the trans.

Swapping trans in a modern car is very expensive, can void your warranty, and many things can go wrong. Not worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I've been thinking that was going to be the common response. I wonder of anyone has attempted and completed it yet

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
687 Posts
Since the wiring harness is different and you’d have to add a TCM and program the PCM to talk to it, you’re in for a real battle doing this. The A8 shifter is electronic, so you’ll need to change wiring there too.

You’re going to have problems getting the new or used electrical parts to talk to each other since they don’t belong in there. They all want to see the same VIN.

Not impossible, but also not cheap.

I’d price all of the parts that are different and add them up. Then figure at least $1500 getting the programming sorted out.

I’ll bet you it’s cheaper to sell your car and buy an A8. And certainly easier.

It can be done, but you’d better do your homework before you start turning wrenches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All very good points.. I was thinking abouut getting a same year totalled challengers parts TCM, PCM etc. Since I do recognize the electronics would be a bear otherwise. Thanks for the feedback, I definitely know it would be easier to trade... I think I'll wait and see what the new model brings before I decide.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,701 Posts
Also, don't forget the cost of the transmission.

I have to agree with the others that it's cheaper to sell yours and buy an A8 Challenger.

Not what you want to hear, but it's the best/easiest/cheapest way to reach your goal.

Good Luck! :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts