Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just spent a couple hours reading about the dreaded bad radiator issue in the 2015ish years but I still have questions...

They seem to only mention the 6.2 and 6.4 engines but my 5.7 sh!t the bed at 36k miles...is that not normal?

They mention two different part numbers and to be careful to not get the wrong one?
I am finding 05170742AA....

The two clamp thing...is that for the bigger engines or also the 5.7?

Thank you!

Was this a bad batch and the new ones are ok or will I be changing this again in the near future?

Where's the best place to get one?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,268 Posts
I swapped mine out for an all aluminum radiator even though there were no issues with the original radiator. I really dislike crimped on plastic tanks. On my liberty I am on my 3rd radiator with 133Kmiles on the motor. You can remove the radiator without taking off the front clip but removing the clip is not that difficult and makes things much easier.

What do you mean by "two clamp things"? BTW double check that part number, I did a search on Steve White Parts and came up with 68050126AB for a 2015 challenger 5.7.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I swapped mine out for an all aluminum radiator even though there were no issues with the original radiator. I really dislike crimped on plastic tanks. On my liberty I am on my 3rd radiator with 133Kmiles on the motor. You can remove the radiator without taking off the front clip but removing the clip is not that difficult and makes things much easier.

What do you mean by "two clamp things"? BTW double check that part number, I did a search on Steve White Parts and came up with 68050126AB for a 2015 challenger 5.7.
Thanx man.....I really like the idea of an all alum replacement...
Where did you get yours...?

The remedy in the service bulletin for the 6.2 and 6.4s say to put an additional clamp on the top radiator hose...
That is where that part number I gave (05170742AA ) came from...I guess that is for the bigger engine...
Although is does say "Applications: PRIMARY. 5.7L, 6.1L, 6.2L, 6.4L."

Looking at Steve White's for that part number (68050126AB) it says that is for "5.7l. With single fan"...don't we have two fans...?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am also seeing where people say there is something "special" about the coolant that Mopar sells for these cars...
Is that so...?
I have never heard of such a thing...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,268 Posts
The 5.7 should be single fan...at least it is on mine. Still not sure about the 2nd clamp on the top radiator hose, although the 5.7 is a single tube and does not split like the 6.4 which goes to the oil cooler. As for the aluminum radiator I forgot the vendor but it is manufactured by mishimoto.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,268 Posts
I am also seeing where people say there is something "special" about the coolant that Mopar sells for these cars...
Is that so...?
I have never heard of such a thing...
Only coolant I know of is OAT which is a 150,000 10 year coolant. HOAT is what FCA used to use. Do not mix them as it will sludge. OAT is more expensive if you buy from a dealership so I usually go and get mine from Amazon in concentrated form and mix with distilled water.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only coolant I know of is OAT which is a 150,000 10 year coolant. HOAT is what FCA used to use. Do not mix them as it will sludge. OAT is more expensive if you buy from a dealership so I usually go and get mine from Amazon in concentrated form and mix with distilled water.
LOL ok...now this ...I have never heard of OAT...is that what we have in our cars...?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,602 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,602 Posts
I am thinking mine might have a slow leak as well. It smells hot but I never see any dripping. I know I had a cap that was leaking after I installed a "JLT" tank cover but I fixed that and topped it off with The coolant in the link I provided.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
ok...so I assume this is a typical 50/50 antifreeze that I add water to...not a premix...?
Thanx!
No

A 50/50 mix means you do NOT add water to it, it's already premixed. The 68163849AB is premixed so you just pour it in and go.

Mopar also has a concentrate version that you do add water to (distilled preferably) and it is 68163848AB.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No

A 50/50 mix means you do NOT add water to it, it's already premixed. The 68163849AB is premixed so you just pour it in and go.

Mopar also has a concentrate version that you do add water to (distilled preferably) and it is 68163848AB.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That is what I meant...perhaps my wording could have been better...thank you for the clarification :)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,268 Posts
FYI - this is the 2015 RT radiator set-up

This tool makes it a breeze to take off the spring clamps.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI - this is the 2015 RT radiator set-up

This tool makes it a breeze to take off the spring clamps.
Thanx for the link!
But it brings up another thing I need to learn...LOL
This is the first Dodge I have ever owned so I am learning a lot of new things as I have always been a Chevy guy...

I never know what the difference is between the two different motor options when buying parts etc...
What's the difference between EZH and EZC...?

See attachment...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,268 Posts
Thanx for the link!
But it brings up another thing I need to learn...LOL
This is the first Dodge I have ever owned so I am learning a lot of new things as I have always been a Chevy guy...

I never know what the difference is between the two different motor options when buying parts etc...
What's the difference between EZH and EZC...?

See attachment... View attachment 978752
One is MDS (auto) and the other is not (manual trans). Basically different lifters and cam but otherwise motor is identical.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One is MDS (auto) and the other is not (manual trans). Basically different lifters and cam but otherwise motor is identical.
What's weird too is that when I select the yr and engine the only model options given are for the SXT...
KInda strange...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,268 Posts
I literally just went to dodge at lunch time and bought concentrated OAT for $20...could not believe it! But they got me on the valve cover bolt...$7 WTF!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well...surprise, surprise, surprise...
I had a feeling today that I should check this out further before spending money and time on a radiator change out and low and behold......it is NOT the radiator!
I got thinking and remembered that some mornings I would here what sounds like a tension pully going bad and thought maybe it's the water pump...
The antifreeze had been rinsed off the engine bay and the car was sitting in my bay cold so I thought why not start it up and watch it and see where the liquid is coming from...

Before long I was being sprayed and the gremlin revealed itself...
Funny thing is, it isn't just leaking...I can see ball bearings floating around in the front of it...

Remember, I am a Chevy guy and have never owned a Dodge so I am not at all knowledgeable about these Hemis...

Check out the video...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts