Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2015 RT Plus about a month ago. It only had 3,200 miles on it and an in service date of 6/16/2017. Before starting ,the voltage is around 12.4 volts and running it is 14.2 volts. Tonight I noticed the running voltage was about 13.8 volts ( It was night time with lights and a/c on). Kind of worried about the battery getting to the end of its life expectancy. I know the battery will be under warranty till 6/16/2020 but don't want to get stuck at a bad time. I did check with my Fluke to make sure the cars gauges were correct.The jump pack will have to travel around with me for piece of mind and I guess I need to make a trip to Advance to see how the battery tests. Just wondering what other Challengers voltages are running.

·
Super Moderator
13,863 Posts
Your battery is three years old. When it hits four years, its time to think replacement. I replaced mine with a Bosch Platinum battery with glass-mat technology. The list price was $219.99 but I got 25% off at Pep Boys (ordered from its web site), plus there was a $10 rebate from Bosch- net cost= $155. A great deal for a premium battery.

The battery uses absorbed glass mat technology and is supposed to last 2X longer than a conventional battery. It has 800 CCA and 960 CA Reserve- better than the MOPAR battery. It also comes with a free replacement warranty for the first 48 months.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My 2012 Challenger and 2011 Grand Cherokee with same batteries are still on their original ones. These last quite a while.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
13.8 Volts is fine. No need to worry here.

If you were seeing 12 Volts, that would be another matter.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus and 2018 Charger GT Plus (GO MANGO ORANGE)
28 Posts
My 09 OEM battery on my Ram lasted 9 years, re-placed it this winter. Lasted 8 1/2 MINNESOTA winters, I was impressed to say the least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts