Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the fourth time since moving to South Florida five years ago, I've lost a tire to a screw or nail and this one is beyond repair and the other three are worn enough it is probably time just replace the set. I have the same stock Goodyears on my 2015 Scat Pack, technically the second full set, in 245/45/20 on the 20x9 WRT matte black wheels.

I want to go up to 275/40/20 on all four corners, which I believe will be fine in terms of clearance in the front, but I am trying to decide between summer and all season tires. My car lived its first year of life in Nebraska and was my DD so I was fine with all seasons, but now that I live in South Florida, I am trying to talk myself into summer tires full time. It is still my DD, though due to COVID I'm working entirely from home indefinitely so it doesn't get as much use as it should (it has less than 20K on the odo).

My primary concern is wet weather performance. It obviously is rarely below 50 degrees down here and any road trips back north would be done in my SUV so it is unlikely it would see weather below 50 until I inevitably move back up north and by then it'll be new tire time anyway. That said, I'm a bit worried about tread life in summer tires and that is my big hangup. Even with less than 20K on the odo, my second full set of garbage stock Goodyears are completely worn down and I am not doing burnouts up and down the street, I don't even remember the last time I went above 80 thanks to the snowbird traffic and I've had to cut down on my 2am jaunts up and down the empty roads now that there is a better half in the picture.

I assume I am overthinking this and should stop being a moron and just get the summer tires right? If so, which? My initial thought was the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but they're on backorder and I just can't wait, I need to get something in stock now. The next choice was the Continental ExtremeContact Sport, which are in stock (and considerably cheaper). The Conti DWS06 are the only all season tire I was considering as well. Should I be looking at something else? I see a bunch of Firestone Indy 500s around here but its wet rating seems way worse than the others and this is South Florida, wet is the weather's default position. Am I missing any other options? Is the Conti ExtremeContact Sport the winner?

Separately, Tire Rack really does not want to let me do 275/40/20 in all four corners. The only optional variation for the 2015 Scat Pack is stock 245/45 front and 275/40 rear but I'd like to avoid staggered if I can make 275 fit up front. Most threads seem to say it can but I am somewhat hesitant since a non-recommended size probably isn't covered with their normal guarantee.

Tl;dr:

1) Does 275/40/20 on the 2015 Scat Pack with matte black WRT wheels work on all four corners?
2) Is there any reason to get an all-season tire over summer?
3) Is the Pilot Sport 4S so much better than the Conti or Indy 500 summer options that I should shop around or try to wait it out?

Also if any of you are currently working on some sort of magnetic screw and nail repulsor for tires, let me know so I can invest. I had one flat tire for the first 15 years of my driving life living in Texas and Nebraska but since I moved here in 2016 I have had FOUR in my Challenger alone and two more in my Range Rover. I am starting to think the discount tire shop around the corner from my house is throwing screws into the street.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,901 Posts
I put on the 275/40 DWS06's on my '16 SP about 1k miles ago.

Totally happy with them. Their specs met my driving needs, and so far I can say that they are a far better tire than the 245 RSA's.

Smooth, quiet ride, no clearance issues or rubbing, and great handling. I have the WRT's too.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Totally pleased with these Continentals.

Best of luck choosing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Totally happy with them. Their specs met my driving needs, and so far I can say that they are a far better tire than the 245 RSA's.

Smooth, quiet ride, no clearance issues or rubbing, and great handling. I have the WRT's too.

View attachment 1023146 View attachment 1023147

Totally pleased with these Continentals.

Best of luck choosing.
That is a gorgeous looking combo. It is your posts on the subject that convinced me to go up to 275/40/20 all around. Can't imagine there is any difference between 15 and 16 in terms of rubbing. This many miles in, any regrets going up to 275? Any ill-effects or unanticipated downsides?

I HATE the RSAs and could be happier to rid myself of them, the only reason I still have them is because I had to replace a pair and then ended up replacing the other pair after another flat. I'm starting to think those tires might just have pillow soft rubber that soaks up anything on the road.

The DWS06 was my initial pick, especially because they are on closeout/sale at Tire Rack so quite a bit cheaper than the other options but I keep talking myself into summer tires for South Florida's hot and wet weather for 350 days a year.

Separately, where did you get those center caps? I have custom black Moper M air valve covers in sublime green but I've had the stock chromed center cap on since I bought the thing with 14 miles on the odo, even though there is barely any other chrome on the vehicle. Would love to swap them out.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,901 Posts
That is a gorgeous looking combo. It is your posts on the subject that convinced me to go up to 275/40/20 all around. Can't imagine there is any difference between 15 and 16 in terms of rubbing. This many miles in, any regrets going up to 275? Any ill-effects or unanticipated downsides?

I HATE the RSAs and could be happier to rid myself of them, the only reason I still have them is because I had to replace a pair and then ended up replacing the other pair after another flat. I'm starting to think those tires might just have pillow soft rubber that soaks up anything on the road.

The DWS06 was my initial pick, especially because they are on closeout/sale at Tire Rack so quite a bit cheaper than the other options but I keep talking myself into summer tires for South Florida's hot and wet weather for 350 days a year.

Separately, where did you get those center caps? I have custom black Moper M air valve covers in sublime green but I've had the stock chromed center cap on since I bought the thing with 14 miles on the odo, even though there is barely any other chrome on the vehicle. Would love to swap them out.

Thanks.

No downsides at all IMO going with the 275's. I wish that I would have made this move right after delivery, but I'm a skin flint and put up with the RSA's for almost 30k miles.

The center caps are factory units from the Mopar '10 Edition. Not cheap, but that blue "M" just sets up the wheel with the B5 color IMO.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

No downsides at all IMO going with the 275's. I wish that I would have made this move right after delivery, but I'm a skin flint and put up with the RSA's for almost 30k miles.

The center caps are factory units from the Mopar '10 Edition. Not cheap, but that blue "M" just sets up the wheel with the B5 color IMO.

Thanks again.
If I could find those caps with the Moper M in sublime green I'd throw my money at the screen so hard it would shatter. I wish I had gone with better tires way earlier than this as well but I wanted to get every penny I could out of the Goodyears and ended up needing to go with two full sets of them because of the awful timing of each of these flats.

Did you go with the DWS06 because of your location? I feel like that's probably the safe choice but then I look at the lowest average temperature at any point of the year is 60 degrees numbers of South Florida and think I should just be going summer.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,310 Posts
If I could find those caps with the Moper M in sublime green I'd throw my money at the screen so hard it would shatter. I wish I had gone with better tires way earlier than this as well but I wanted to get every penny I could out of the Goodyears and ended up needing to go with two full sets of them because of the awful timing of each of these flats.

Did you go with the DWS06 because of your location? I feel like that's probably the safe choice but then I look at the lowest average temperature at any point of the year is 60 degrees numbers of South Florida and think I should just be going summer.

These can be Painted BTW Scuff with Scotch Brite, then wash them with warm water and dawn dish washing soap, let dry wipe with rubbing alcohol paint Krylon Fusion Flat Black then Touch Up Paint in Body Color

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
I have 275/40's on 10" rims with 25mm offset on the rear of my 2016 Scat Pack. with 245/45's on 9" rims in the front. I plan to go wider for the next set so I test fit the 10" wide rims and 275/40's on the front of mine they were closer to the top ball joint stud but far enough away that I would run them up front. I will get 2 more 10" rims by the time I need new tires and put 275's up front and 295's on rear next time.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,901 Posts

I hear what you're saying about a Sublime "M" on the cap for yours. It would look killer!

Interesting point on these caps. There's the full diameter black cap, and the "M" is a separate and raised blue plastic piece. The chrome Mopar lettering are individual raised chrome pieces.

I chose the DSW's partly on my location, and based on road trips to that I like to take.

My area in MO is very hilly and tons of twisties, so I wanted a good handling tire.

Winter temps are usually 20-30°F but it can hit spells around 0°F. If the roads are clear, I'm out cruising on/in the cold.

Summers are hot and humid, 90°-100°F typically.

I love taking road trips to the Rockies in the Summer. Hot weather getting there, and typical Colorado weather, cool to cold at night.

I don't generally drive in the rain at home, but on road trips, that's life! Lol

So Summer tires were out for me regardless of the brand. The DWS's checked all the boxes, so I went with them.

Couldn't be happier. FWIW, way better traction with these 275/40's when running the 392 hard.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts
If only...

A Guy

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 275/40's on 10" rims with 25mm offset on the rear of my 2016 Scat Pack. with 245/45's on 9" rims in the front. I plan to go wider for the next set so I test fit the 10" wide rims and 275/40's on the front of mine they were closer to the top ball joint stud but far enough away that I would run them up front. I will get 2 more 10" rims by the time I need new tires and put 275's up front and 295's on rear next time. View attachment 1023153 View attachment 1023155
That looks fantastic. This thing just needs wider tires, especially in the back. I'm glad the 275s will fit up front. I was going to settle for a staggered setup but I hated the idea of not being able to do the full rotation.

I hear what you're saying about a Sublime "M" on the cap for yours. It would look killer!

Interesting point on these caps. There's the full diameter black cap, and the "M" is a separate and raised blue plastic piece. The chrome Mopar lettering are individual raised chrome pieces.

I chose the DSW's partly on my location, and based on road trips to that I like to take.

My area in MO is very hilly and tons of twisties, so I wanted a good handling tire.

Winter temps are usually 20-30°F but it can hit spells around 0°F. If the roads are clear, I'm out cruising on/in the cold.

Summers are hot and humid, 90°-100°F typically.

I love taking road trips to the Rockies in the Summer. Hot weather getting there, and typical Colorado weather, cool to cold at night.

I don't generally drive in the rain at home, but on road trips, that's life! Lol

So Summer tires were out for me regardless of the brand. The DWS's checked all the boxes, so I went with them.

Couldn't be happier. FWIW, way better traction with these 275/40's when running the 392 hard.
My Challenger's first year of life was lived in Nebraska so definitely familiar with that swing from cold winters to brutal summers. I try to avoid rain driving in this car because it'll spin itself into orbit out of the light no matter what tires you put on it but now that I'm in South Florida if I didn't drive it in rain, I would probably never be driving the thing.

At this point my only hangup between summer and all-season is just treadwear at this point. My car only has 19K or so on it since it rolled off the train from the factory so it isn't like it gets a ton of mileage on it, but I definitely don't want to be doing this too often.

If only...

A Guy
Oh man that would have been perfect. I bet I could take that project on with the all chrome Mopar M caps and maybe the sublime touchup paint pen.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

View attachment 1023150

These can be Painted BTW Scuff with Scotch Brite, then wash them with warm water and dawn dish washing soap, let dry wipe with rubbing alcohol paint Krylon Fusion Flat Black then Touch Up Paint in Body Color
I think I am going to do just that, seems like a relatively easy project to take on and I've got an entire shop closet full of flat black spray paint.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
Hated the Pirelli all season tires on my Hellcat. They had lousy grip on dry pavement and still hydroplaned all too readily in the rain. The wide all season tires wanted to hydroplane even on a cloudy day. The solution? Had to slow way down.

Previous cars were all fitted with high performance tires: Pirelli, Michelin, Continental, and Bridgestone.

These all proved to be equal to each other and very good tires.

But like with the Hellcat in the rain I slowed down. These cars also had wide tires and well, slowing down is really what is required when driving in the rain.

My 2020 Scat Pack came with Pirelli high performance tires. These tires compared to all season tires on the Hellcat are very good much better. Plenty of dry grip. But the times I drive the car in the rain I slow down.

But with my other vehicle, a M-B cargo van on some narrower and all season tires, I have to slow down, too.

Going forward with my Scat Pack I'm staying with high performance tires. I may try Michelin tires if the price is right but screw that all season crap. I've heard it said "all season tires are no season tires" and I believe it and my experience pretty much confirms this. All season tires are a compromise when used on dry pavement and yet rain performance is subpar as well.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
304 Posts
Replaced my Scat's stock Pirelli tires w/ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. They look and perform much better, and are decently priced. Biggest downside is Discount tire don't sell this particular model.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts

This is exactly what I did- no regrets and you will only cry once.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hated the Pirelli all season tires on my Hellcat. They had lousy grip on dry pavement and still hydroplaned all too readily in the rain. The wide all season tires wanted to hydroplane even on a cloudy day. The solution? Had to slow way down.

Previous cars were all fitted with high performance tires: Pirelli, Michelin, Continental, and Bridgestone.

These all proved to be equal to each other and very good tires.

But like with the Hellcat in the rain I slowed down. These cars also had wide tires and well, slowing down is really what is required when driving in the rain.

My 2020 Scat Pack came with Pirelli high performance tires. These tires compared to all season tires on the Hellcat are very good much better. Plenty of dry grip. But the times I drive the car in the rain I slow down.

But with my other vehicle, a M-B cargo van on some narrower and all season tires, I have to slow down, too.

Going forward with my Scat Pack I'm staying with high performance tires. I may try Michelin tires if the price is right but screw that all season crap. I've heard it said "all season tires are no season tires" and I believe it and my experience pretty much confirms this. All season tires are a compromise when used on dry pavement and yet rain performance is subpar as well.
This has more or less been my experience with all-seasons as well. Up until moving to South Florida, it was a sacrifice I had to make because back in Nebraska we would easily have multiple weeks where it was 40 one day and 80 the next. I decided to go with the Continental ExtremeContact Sport summer tires.

My 2015 Scat Pack has less than 20K on the odo since it rolled off the train and I drove it home so worrying about treadwear between all-season and summer was probably stupid. Unless I'm an idiot with them, they'll surely hold up long enough until the next great tire comes along (or I move back north).

Replaced my Scat's stock Pirelli tires w/ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. They look and perform much better, and are decently priced. Biggest downside is Discount tire don't sell this particular model.
I ended up going with the Continental ExtremeContact Sports but the Indy 500s were a VERY close second. The Michelins were backordered and hilariously more expensive so that was out right away. Deciding point was ultimately that the Contis would get here tomorrow and the Indys not until next Tuesday and I'm going out of town Thursday. Really wanted to avoid having the Challenger sit on a flat for almost two weeks.

This is exactly what I did- no regrets and you will only cry once.
Pulled the trigger on four 275/40/20s this morning, a bit more money but the right decision for sure.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
539 Posts
I live in South Florida and DD my scat pack. I’ve been using the stock Pirelli 275 All Season tires and they’ve worked out great for me so far.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
Since you're in South Florida - I'd recommend the Conti ExtremeContact Sport

I have the DWS 06 on my 'Benz (I live in Charlotte NC area) and my weather ranges from 20*s in winter to 100*s so an all seaason is the way to go for me.

you'll trade off some treadwear life vs the DWS06, but you'll rarely need the benefit of the snow traction.

I like the Conti's in this model; they're quiet have good ride quality and they grip. It will be a huge improvement over the RSA's and in the rain, the Contis will do far better.

Plus with the 275/40 (this was my day #2 mod) you'll have more contact patch on the road and won't have this "stretched" look as the 245/45s have on those 20 x 9" wheels

Reactions: Wizard of Iz

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
871 Posts
I had Continental DWS tires on my '05 GTO and they were so, so good in the rain that I was - at times - at risk of over-driving my abilities.

I had Cooper Zeon tires on my '11 Challenger R/T Classic and found that they were an excellent blend of performance, ride, and wet-weather traction.

And ... I have Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires on my '15 Challenger SRT 392 and like them a lot. Better dry traction than the other two and they're not scaring the hell out of me in the rain like the Pirelli P ZeroTraction tires that came on the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts