Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Scat Pack, 61K miles, has been making some rear end noise during low speed, tight turn maneuvers in forward and reverse.

Finally got it checked out this morning and the verdict is in: bad differential.

Part here in 5-7 days. Full warranty repair, thankfully, as 2015 was the last year for 5 year/100K powertrain coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My 2015 Scat Pack, 61K miles, has been making some rear end noise during low speed, tight turn maneuvers in forward and reverse.

Finally got it checked out this morning and the verdict is in: bad differential.

Part here in 5-7 days. Full warranty repair, thankfully, as 2015 was the last year for 5 year/100K powertrain coverage.

I also had my differential replaced a few months ago on my 2016 Scat Pack. It was making the same noise you described and had the oil changed with no resolve so they replaced it. It's been fine ever since. Good news is you'll have a new rear at 61k :wink3:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI - There is a TSB (TSB 03-004-16) that may be involved in your issue.

Good call. I’m going to look into this as well.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Based on what I've read, this is to address a whine while driving. The whine I had was just when making tight turns at low speed (parking, etc.). Never had it while driving past 10 mph.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based on what I've read, this is to address a whine while driving. The whine I had was just when making tight turns at low speed (parking, etc.). Never had it while driving past 10 mph.

I’ve had whine at a very specific gear/speed/rpm, higher speeds.

The rear end noise at low speed is more “clunky.”

So, I’ve had both.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the reminder on this. While doing the differential they determined my car does indeed need it, however the part is on extreme backorder. It’ll get taken care of when the part comes in.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The diff is mounted to the chassis in these cars, so any sound is magnified.

Also consider that it is a limited slip and those will make a little noise when turning by design.

I've never driven one of these that didn't make at least a little noise at a certain speed or when turning and I drove many Scats and SRTs before I bought mine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The diff is mounted to the chassis in these cars, so any sound is magnified.

Also consider that it is a limited slip and those will make a little noise when turning by design.

I've never driven one of these that didn't make at least a little noise at a certain speed or when turning and I drove many Scats and SRTs before I bought mine.

The noise was excessive. The dealer agreed. The noise no longer exists with the new differential.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
The noise was excessive. The dealer agreed. The noise no longer exists with the new differential.

Awesome! Glad you got it taken care of.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any suggestions on diff fluid change? Brand of gear oil etc mine has 21,000 miles and would like to treat her right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
rwgems
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing