Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am getting ready to replace my worn out Goodyears and I'm moving up to 275's all around but should I go with 275/40/20 or 275/45/20?

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
275/40/20 is the recommend size I was told, it's what I'm running and works just fine.
Thanks man! Do you know how big of a difference there is between 40's and 45's?

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Difference in how it looks, ride quality, performance?
Yep yep yep.... but I decided to go with the 40's. Don't want any risk of rubbing with the 45's. :grin2:

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Yep yep yep.... but I decided to go with the 40's. Don't want any risk of rubbing with the 45's. :grin2:
Looks: You'll hardly notice, they're slightly meatier than the stock 245s.

Ride: I bought a set of Continental EC DW in 275/40/20s and the ride is a lot quieter (less road crunch).

Performance: Excellent, my wheels haven't made a single squeak from a stop since I switched and wet traction improved significantly.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,981 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
So I am getting ready to replace my worn out Goodyears and I'm moving up to 275's all around but should I go with 275/40/20 or 275/45/20?
I installed a set of Nitto 275/45/20s last year and yes their an inch taller but they don't rub. I made the mistake and not ordered 40's but now it worked out great. That inch helps me clear the front chin spoiler when I pull into a parking space.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,981 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I installed a set of Nitto 275/45/20s last year and yes their an inch taller but they don't rub. I made the mistake and not ordered 40's but now it worked out great. That inch helps me clear the front chin spoiler when I pull into a parking space.
How did it work out great when that extra inch knocked down your gearing significantly affecting your performance?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
How did it work out great when that extra inch knocked down your gearing significantly affecting your performance?
As I mentioned I ordered the wrong size tires but what worked out was that the inch increase now clears the curb. It keeps me from scraping the shin spoiler prolonging the life of it and not loosing it when the wife drives it and accidentally scrapes it on a curb.

Then again tons's of upgrades are done to cars that don't necessarily equates to performance gain. Take my bike hitch. It adds 50lb but add convenience for transporting my bikes. Also as a last note to address performance which was your original quote. Yes the larger tire did add performance in the way of gas mileage on the highway.

The only vehicles which stand to benefit from a larger diameter tire are those produce more torque than they need to in order to maintain speed. This can include cars which have a final drive gear ratio optimized for acceleration (like sport package Civics and the Dodge Charger R/T), or Diesel trucks and cars that always produce torque in excess to drive speed (such as the Ford F-350 and Volkswagen TDi). Diesel-powered vehicles can almost always stand to benefit from a slightly larger tire, since their peak torque occurs practically at idle.

Again I admitted to ordering the wrong size tire and simply stated something positive of the outcome. Next time I'll order the 275/40/20 which by the way SPS likes going thru tires it won't be long. :wink3:

·
Registered
486 Posts
It should be noted that generally, the first concern of changing tire diameters is the effects of the resulting speed error. Most guide lines recommend not exceeding 3% or so. The reason for this is the possible effects on the speedometer reading, the ABS brakes and possible effects on the shifting of an automatic transmission.
As shown on the Tire Calculation Sheet posted by "Guy", it shows that the size difference is +3.5%. So 3.5% in most cases still seems to to be acceptable for the concerns just mentioned.

As far as effects on gear ratio, I believe an increase in final ratio of 3.5% is insignificant.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Made the same mistake. 245 45 on front 275 45 on rear. Kind of like the look.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,981 Posts
I'd never notice unless someone pointed it out ;)

A Guy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts