Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vendor
2010 SRT
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several posts have requested estimates of what a supercharger will do for a 392 Scat Pack from stock.

I don't like guessing, so here is an actual car with actual dyno results. Car is confirmed bone-stock. Supercharger added.

These cars tend to baseline at 425 RWHP, so that is about a 115HP gain from 6 psi of boost. Our supercharger is an enhanced Magnuson-based kit, with our tune. It is roots-style with the Eaton TVS 2300 rotor pack, the same technology as in the OEM Corvette Z06 and the Camaro ZL1.

More info here on shopHEMI.com

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Nice Tim. I'm dropping my 2015 SRT 392 off on Monday for Arrington to install a Whipple supercharger and Kooks long tube headers with high flow cats. I have the Borla ATAK catback already installed. Other than that, the car is stock. Are these gains similar to what I should expect to see with my setup?

·
Vendor
2010 SRT
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice Tim. I'm dropping my 2015 SRT 392 off on Monday for Arrington to install a Whipple supercharger and Kooks long tube headers with high flow cats. I have the Borla ATAK catback already installed. Other than that, the car is stock. Are these gains similar to what I should expect to see with my setup?
Glad your car is coming in. :thumbsup:

The long tube headers will actually lower your boost number, but increase power. More air flow = less back pressure which contributes to the boost reading.

The default Whipple pulley is a little stronger than the 6 psi Arrington S/C. We are expecting right around 7 psi on your setup.

So I can safely say you will see more than these gains. Can't go too far without risking the stock pistons, but it will give you terrific power.

Here is another Arrington/Magnuson example in that range.
We usually keep the 8 psi kit UNDER 8 for stock 392s.

Another Whipple - this one on a Jeep 392. Remember, the Jeep has more driveline loss due to the 4WD setup and larger tires. This owner went for the forged pistons and 8 - 9 psi of boost.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Thanks Tim. Yes, let's keep it safe. I'll also be purchasing the Whipple 3yr, 36k engine warranty as added insurance. In about a year or so, l'll be looking to have a fully forged Arrington 426 installed and then we can turn up the boost.

·
Vendor
2010 SRT
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tim. Yes, let's keep it safe. I'll also be purchasing the Whipple 3yr, 36k engine warranty as added insurance. In about a year or so, l'll be looking to have a fully forged Arrington 426 installed and then we can turn up the boost.
Looking forward to both first stage and the later stage!

·
Registered
850 Posts
My latest chart looks very similar. My Torque was 518 @ 4550 rpm and the HP was 536 @ 6000 rpm. The torque curve on these Hemi engines is pretty flat. It was stopped at 6K rpm at my request. The Maggie is doing it's job!

·
Vendor
2010 SRT
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand you left here with over 600RWHP @ 7.7 psi of boost!

That is such a sweet spot for supercharged power -- smooth driving, but with a punch. >:)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I understand you left here with over 600RWHP @ 7.7 psi of boost!

That is such a sweet spot for supercharged power -- smooth driving, but with a punch. >:)
Yep, I was one happy camper :grin2: Thanks to all at Arrington for making my ride even more awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
so is it safe to say if darrels challenger done at arringtons was turned up to 7.7 psi from his 6.1 that the numbers would be close? all i am doing is seeing if the whipple is close to the same as the magnuson. sorry for my spelling.

·
Registered
Hemi 392 Scat Pack Shaker
16 Posts
Several posts have requested estimates of what a supercharger will do for a 392 Scat Pack from stock.

I don't like guessing, so here is an actual car with actual dyno results. Car is confirmed bone-stock. Supercharger added.

These cars tend to baseline at 425 RWHP, so that is about a 115HP gain from 6 psi of boost. Our supercharger is an enhanced Magnuson-based kit, with our tune. It is roots-style with the Eaton TVS 2300 rotor pack, the same technology as in the OEM Corvette Z06 and the Camaro ZL1.

More info here on shopHEMI.com
Nice! I am looking to do the same to my car!

·
Vendor
2010 SRT
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so is it safe to say if darrels challenger done at arringtons was turned up to 7.7 psi from his 6.1 that the numbers would be close? all i am doing is seeing if the whipple is close to the same as the magnuson. sorry for my spelling.
Between the Magnuson and the Whipple, at lower (less than 10 psi) similar boost numbers tend to give similar power (a big simplification, but close enough).

At around 12 psi, the inlet size on the Magnuson starts to limit the power, while the Whipple can do more. Magnuson has announced a TVS 2650 version (not shipped yet) that will have larger inlets, too.

·
Vendor
2010 SRT
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes - we don't like going higher than this on stock pistons. It is great power for the money because you don't have to change anything else on the engine -- just add supercharger and go, go, go.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Yes - we don't like going higher than this on stock pistons. It is great power for the money because you don't have to change anything else on the engine -- just add supercharger and go, go, go.
So would I be able to start off this route and the down the road drop in forged pistons and then turn up the boost?

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,458 Posts
What injectors do you run on a setup like this and what fuel system upgrades are done (boost a pump, etc.)?

By the way, Impressive numbers! :thumbsup:

·
Vendor
2010 SRT
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So would I be able to start off this route and the down the road drop in forged pistons and then turn up the boost?
Absolutely.

The boost is increased with a smaller pulley on the supercharger itself and sometimes a larger crank pulley/damper. The stock boost pressure is a little over 6 psi. With a forged engine and all of the pulley upgrades, it is simple to go to nearly 12 psi.

Note: the supercharger comes with PCM modifications (tune) for 6-8 psi on a stock engine. You will need custom tuning to go > 10 psi with a turned-up blower. So you kind of pay for the tune twice, once for each stage. At $650, it isn't a show-stopper, but be aware.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts