Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the 3 short weeks of ownership I've been working bits at a time to get my scatpack track worthy for the 2017 season, will probably do mostly hpde/tt and autox events with it, but keep it as street able as i can. Ive had the car only a few weeks but with this warmer winter weather was about to put around 2500 miles on it so far. Great car as it comes, i was really surprised how good a car it is. Comfy, plenty of power, pretty good handling, all with the horrible a/s tires.

2015 Scat Pack Manual with no sunroof, it has a few options like wrt, heated alcantra seats and blind spot sensors.
My goal is to reduce some weight and make the car handle as good as i can, maybe some power adders, headers, tune etc down the road.
Anyone who tracks there car and has some tips please chime in!! Ill try my best to tell my

Mods in Order of Installation.
Barton Shifter: The factory shifter was not to bad, a bit more play and throw than i like, the barton is really well made and really positive.
Lowering Springs Eibach: Temp mod until i do coilovers. Car is a bit firmer ride but not to harsh, ride height looks good, and cg should be down a bit.
Front & Rear Strut Braces Speedlogix/Razorsedge : I installed them both at the same time, the steering feels like it tightened up a notch, car feels a bit firmer and more stable.
Hellcat CAI Box: Not sure if it makes any more power but looks cool. I bit more intake noise if your outside the car.
Welded Subframe braces Speedlogix/Razorsedge: Very nice improvement to the car, along with the strut braces the car is just firmed up a bit more. Reminds me more of a BMW M3 chassis.
Hellcat wheels: So i can run 285/35/20 RE71r's (The hellcat wheel/tire weights 61lbs vs the wrt 55lbs.)

Mods to come
Suspenion: Speedlogix Control arms and Tension Arms
Coilovers: Not sure which ones, dont seem to be alot of options.
Brakes: Racing Pads and may do a Stoptech Trophy Kit
Weight Reduction: Front Crash Support, Rear seat Delete, Front Racing Seats, kmember.
Safety: Harness Bar or Half Cage and Harnesses.
Body: Wickerbill and Splitter Extention
Engine: Headers and tune

My scatpack weighted in at 4170 lbs and made 424/405 sae on a dynojet that dont generally read very high.
Ive removed around 40 lbs out of the trunk, and have added around 30lbs in wheels/tires, subframes and strutbraces.
Will weight again when i get some more things complete.

·
Registered
578 Posts
sub'd to follow along. Sounds like fun.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I'd get a set of 18" lightweight dedicated track wheels wrapped with NT01s. You will see the most improvement there plus you'll lose a bunch of rotational weight.
Stainless Steel brake hoses.
Then I'd get the best track brake pads (carbotech) on the market. You won't believe how much it'll cut on your lap times.
If you're really really serious I'd go with a set of true coilovers.
APR spliter and wing.
Adjustable front and rear sway bar links.
Roll cage. Lightweight racing seats.
Custom email tune with 180* stat with lower fan settings helps with cooling.
Sky is the limit but at some point you have to realize that these cars are not meant to be serious track cars. Simple physics. You lose some weight and then you put on a few here and there. Very frustrating. So you have to accept reality and stop at some point or you can spend $50k and still not be as competitive. I've got $17k into my car and I'm not even halfway done. Sure, it's a lot of fun tracking these yachts but you must have an end goal. Look at my signature.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1483151820.448480.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd get a set of 18" lightweight dedicated track wheels wrapped with NT01s. You will see the most improvement there plus you'll lose a bunch of rotational weight.
Stainless Steel brake hoses.
Then I'd get the best track brake pads (carbotech) on the market. You won't believe how much it'll cut on your lap times.
If you're really really serious I'd go with a set of true coilovers.
APR spliter and wing.
Adjustable front and rear sway bar links.
Roll cage. Lightweight racing seats.
Custom email tune with 180* stat with lower fan settings helps with cooling.
Sky is the limit but at some point you have to realize that these cars are not meant to be serious track cars. Simple physics. You lose some weight and then you put on a few here and there. Very frustrating. So you have to accept reality and stop at some point or you can spend $50k and still not be as competitive. I've got $17k into my car and I'm not even halfway done. Sure, it's a lot of fun tracking these yachts but you must have an end goal. Look at my signature.
View attachment 754962

Yeah looks like you have done quite a lot! Im just looking to have fun with the car, as i have 2 other track cars, just something about making this one do what it shouldn't is appealing.
I'm planning on running carbotechs as hawk don't make a front racing pad for our car. How do your brakes do with cooling?
I may get a set of 18's eventually, ill do sway links before spring and some control arms for adjusting the alignment. At this point im just trying to do things i think will improve the car until i get to take it on track. Then ill figure what i think it needs as far as sway bars, springs, etc. Dont want to dig to deep into that stuff as i dont know the characteristics of it yet, from what i can tell so far with spirited drives is it actually turns in pretty well with some trail braking but still leaning on the understeer side, and has the tendency to oversteer on exit but can be managed with opening the wheel and smooth throttle application.
Do you have any track videos on youtube?

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Sounds like you have a plan. Yes these cars do turn good and with a modification list like yours with be competitive even at HDPE 4 imo. I've not had any braking issues ever since I did the SS brake lines and carbotech pads. The stock rotors are great too for the money. I have a set of extra track rotors with the carbotech pads that I switch before going to the track. With a little more aggressive alignment and stickier tires you'll experience less understeer. I'd leave the sway bars alone since the 15+ models have a much bigger sway bars. What counts is how you adjust them. Yes I do have some videos in YouTube. Search for wasp392.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its been oddly warm here in WV so i went ahead and put the 285/35/20 re71rs on and had the car aligned. These tires really transformed the car, obviously tires have a large part to do with suspension and the shorter sidewall just feels more stable, these tires for those who know has alot of mechanical grip. Still considering doing hellcat bars all the way around until i figure what im gonna do with the suspension.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Many interesting information!
Thanks!

I plan to lap with my new R/T 392 (if the next to arrive is not damaged in shipping :wink3: ) anf I would like to know supplier for Carbotec pads.

I have been also really disappointed to know that Hawk does not make race pads for our R/T392, ScatPack and SRT-8 2008-2014.

285-35R20 looks very good and the choice seems to be better than 275/40R20

Unfortunatly, Brigestone recommands 9,5'' rim and my M/T SC5 are only 9''. :frown:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Many interesting information!
Thanks!

I plan to lap with my new R/T 392 (if the next to arrive is not damaged in shipping :wink3: ) anf I would like to know supplier for Carbotec pads.

I have been also really disappointed to know that Hawk does not make race pads for our R/T392, ScatPack and SRT-8 2008-2014.

285-35R20 looks very good and the choice seems to be better than 275/40R20

Unfortunatly, Brigestone recommands 9,5'' rim and my M/T SC5 are only 9''. :frown:
I just ordered a set of Carbotech AX-6 pads for my SP from Solo Performance Specialties last week. Should be here today. Shoot them and email and let them know what your looking for. They were very quick to respond.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Nice work. Looking forward to following along. Did not know the RE-71r came in that size (and I work for Bridgestone !)

Curious to hear more about how you like those tires. Specifically with a hard launch - does it hook up better ? I may get these for my Challenger next. I'm about due for a new set.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Nice work. Looking forward to following along. Did not know the RE-71r came in that size (and I work for Bridgestone !)

Curious to hear more about how you like those tires. Specifically with a hard launch - does it hook up better ? I may get these for my Challenger next. I'm about due for a new set.

I run RE71s on mine for autox and yes the launch is much better. I'm running the 275/35/19s. Looking to go to 305/30/19 next.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

When warm out they seem to launch really good, not much if any wheels spin, when cold they are obviously not good and we are in the midst of winter, we have a had a few 60's days here in wv today being one, and they are very grippy. Ill have the car at VIR in a few weeks to test it out in general.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Thanks for the info. How are their road manners?

Streetable without being annoying or are they more purposed for track only ?

I'm running our Firestone Indy 500 tire that came out last year and am actually quite impressed but I burned up the rears... I wouldnt mind trying these. I wish they came in 275/40 though. 285/35 is ~ 3/4 smaller in diameter

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Thanks for the info. How are their road manners?

Streetable without being annoying or are they more purposes for track only ?

I'm running our Firestone Indy 500 tire that came out last year and am actually quite impressed but I burned up the rears... I wouldnt mind trying these. I wish they came in 275/40 though. 285/35 is ~ 3/4 smaller in diameter

I've only driven mine on the street lightly to a couple close events but I wouldn't use them every day in my opinion. They seemed very noisy, I'm sure with the compound you'd be lucky to get 8,000 miles out.

I'm looking at going with the Firestones for my daily tire later this year when I finish burning off my RSA2s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Installed Progress Sway Bars. Car feels really good, was gonna go with hellcat bars but changed my mind being these are really close in stiffness and i wanted a bit of adjustability, 35 hollow front and 22 solid rear and 3 adjustments on both. Dropping the rear cradle was much easier than i thought it would have been, although i have a lift, took about 45 mins to get the front and rear bars off, a bit longer to put everything back together as i had to look up all the torque specs for everything, and i was doing it all myself.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts