Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little over 3 Months ago, I could not come to an agreement with the local dealer for an A8 Hellcat so my wife gave me the green light to build what I already had. So I sourced parts from multiple places and came up with the combination of parts below after many conversations with vendors and issues during teardown.

Forged 392:
MMX Drop In Pistons and Rods.
Coated Rod Bearings and Hellcat Main Bearings
Hellcat Camshaft and MDS Delete
ARP Head Studs
Cometic 5 layer head Gaskets
ATI 18%0D Damper

Whipple Supercharger with 3.125" upper pulley (~12lbs of Boost)
Gates Fleetrunner KO81153HD Belt
Diablo PCM and Trinity
Arrington Drop In Fuel Pump
Custom Email Tuning From Arrington

DSS Aluminum Driveshaft
Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings
REM Pillar pod with AEM Wideband and Boost Gauge.

Parts started rolling in early March and that was when I pulled the car apart to start rebuilding the engine. Originally I was only going to forge the engine and leave the cam and crank alone. Then I pulled the heads...

The #1 cylinder was scored due to a bad top ring, 70% of the moly was gone. Likely a manufacturing error, I've owned the car since new and was broken in per Chrysler's spec and ran with a stock pcm until 500 miles ago and then ran a canned tune from Diablo.

Out came the cam and crank, and I honed all 8 cylinders with a 400 grit hone. Then of course the "might as wells" kick in, and the hellcat cam was ordered as well as main bearings. It was at this time that Dave Weber and MMX were a big help in answering a lot my questions. All of the engine internals we either from MMX or bought with their advice.

As the engine was going back together, the supercharger arrived from Whipple, which unfortunately had sent me a kit for a 2014 instead of 2015 which is very minor but important for the radiator hose extension.

Fast forward to today, where the car is ready to go... Except the radiator hose... Grr.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,701 Posts
Congratulations on both your build and for having a Cool Wife! :cheers:

I'm looking forward to hearing how much power you end up making! I'd think that your car is going to be a BEAST!

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I found the trick to the cool wife is to get her hooked on drag racing. Had her run last year at our local track and she ran a [email protected] on a hot and muggy day. She was hooked after that and is excited about the prospect of going faster.

I might not find out what power the car will make as I am doing an email tune, but I'm hoping to get a few runs at the end of the season. I'm saving up for a transmission so I can turn it up even more. Basically I started with the goal of running with the stock hellcats around here, I think as it stands I should be just a touch faster with this parts combo.

Of course, as long as it doesn't blow up when I hit the key the first time, I'm hoping we'll start the tuning process next week after we get some miles on the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,848 Posts
A belt, a belt...my kingdom for a belt! ;) Also looking forward to how she runs :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Registered
236 Posts
MMX is awesome. I've got their cam, and I'll be using them for the future upgrades of the engine. David Weber is super knowledgeable and has always answered my questions to the full so I completely understood.

I'll be following this, keep us updated!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Wish I had the skill to do something like this! Looks like a great beginning! Will be following your progress along the way for sure.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wish I had the skill to do something like this! Looks like a great beginning! Will be following your progress along the way for sure.
It only takes time and money to learn. I came from the automotive school of hard knocks. I spent alot of money working on junk before working on more expensive junk... (it's all junk when you're working on them) This is my first hemi build with a lot of new firsts for me. This is also the first time I've done much more beyond a stock style rebuild. I learned quite a bit reassembling this engine since this the hemi has quite a few quirks the old 70's engines never had. Of course one thing that is constant is that nothing ever goes exactly according to plan. Here is what the piston and cylinder from #1 looked like. Fortunately I already had drop ins in hand but it was quite a shock to find a low mileage engine with a terminal illness. The hone repaired 95% of the damage but cost me at least $500 and 2 weeks of messing around that I wasn't planning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I am sure. Unfortunately at this stage in my life I have alot less time on my hands. Back in the late 80s I built (had a friend with a shop do most of the precision work but I helped everywhere I could) a 71 Charger with a 440 and learned quite a bit in the process. I joke around that I was an early investor in Summit racing. I helped them move from the other side of the street (where Comdoc is now) to their new digs. Hah. Those of you that can remember their old shop will appreciate that.

With the new cars I don't have the time or the room to tackle big projects. I have put my exhaust system on, a throttle body, catch can, CAI and done a little tuning, but nothing big. I do however really enjoy these types of threads so I appreciate you posting up for those of us who live vicariously through you guys that are doing projects like these.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear that on time, I've worked on this car in my spare time over the course of 3 months. I probably have 80 man-hours in the whole build thus far, though much time has been spent waiting on tools and parts to arrive that I thought I could get away without or didn't know I needed until the last minute. On the plus side, bolting on the whipple was about the easiest part of the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,701 Posts
A belt, a belt...my kingdom for a belt! ;) Also looking forward to how she runs :thumbsup:

A Guy
That's what the overweight Guy whose pants fell down said too! :D

When I had my old blown C5, I kept a spare belt in the car, just in case Mr. Murphy decided to jump in the passenger seat.

Thanks for sharing your build with us. It's Very interesting and I agree that I'm also living my modding addiction vicariously through you and a couple of other builds.

I Appreciate that! :cheers:

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: The car lives again! Tomorrow will check fluids and put the plastic underneath and take it for a ride.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately I still haven't gotten a chance to drive the car. On a brighter note, I'm at Mopars in the Park in Farmington, MN. Saw a B5 Demon in person. Oh if there was a deal with the devil to be made....

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,701 Posts
Unfortunately I still haven't gotten a chance to drive the car. On a brighter note, I'm at Mopars in the Park in Farmington, MN. Saw a B5 Demon in person. Oh if there was a deal with the devil to be made....

My advice is to keep your soul intact! :D

I think that you'll be Really Happy after you drive your BEAST! As cool as I think the Demon is and has quite a bit of pretty neat engineering and equipment, it's really a one trick pony. You go faster than heck in a straight line, but most streets have corners and turns and skinnies and drag radials don't turn that well.

If what Vin Diesel said is true and life is lived one quarter mile at a time, then the Demon is your car, but if you actually drive your car on the streets, then I'd take yours over a Demon. That's just me though and for every person that feels like I do, there are probably five that would take a Demon.

That's why they make more than one Challenger because there is something for everyone!

Like I said, I'd like to hear your review after you get to drive yours.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I've driven the car 30 miles or so. The base tune was pretty good off the bat, it was a bit lean at WOT so we won't be doing any more of that until l get the first revision loaded. Car definitely pulls hard, very comparable to a Hellcat. So far so good!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Do you happen to have a profile pic. from one of your new pistons? I'm curious to see the difference in distance from the piston top to first ring. I've heard the stock distance is real minimal and a major culprit for boosted stock engine failure.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SRT Andy has a build thread Forging a 392 with a whipple that showcases the difference between the 2. The whole thread is about 18 pages but great reference material. I know I referenced it several times rebuilding mine.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,848 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ran the first revision, MDS codes are now off, but the car is still 13.6:1 AFR at WOT. Hope Rev2 ends up richer.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts