Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 SRT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The differential started growling with sharp turns, the first year I had it. The dealer added some limited slip additive, this was just before the tech bulletin came out telling them to change the fluid.
Anyway 54,000 miles later (and barely under warranty), I started hearing clanking noises while coasting at slow speeds or when the transmission down shifted before a stop.
Thought it was the two piece driveshaft, or carrier bearing cause there was lots of slack . Dealership tech replaced the differential.
Thought I was good to go then I started hearing a loud wine at around 65MPH. This is a known problem with these cars.
I took it easy on it for a day. The next morning the wine was gone, I guess the pinion gears had to get a little wear.
Man I was happy cause Dodge will replace it only once with a new one under warranty. After that you get a rebuilt or parts kit.

·
Super Moderator
16,666 Posts
there's a range of miles and max speeds recommended on any 392 equipped model (they all have limited slip diffs) - this is for break in / heat cycling of all the various driveline / power train components

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Registered
392 SRT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there's a range of miles and max speeds recommended on any 392 equipped model (they all have limited slip diffs) - this is for break in / heat cycling of all the various driveline / power train components
Yes, I know now, But this whine was noticed leaving the dealership and I never got over 45 'till I was two miles down the road and they never said a word about breaking it in.
It didn't whine when new, and I drove it for 80 miles and never got over 55, thinking I was only breaking -in the engine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The differential started growling with sharp turns, the first year I had it. The dealer added some limited slip additive, this was just before the tech bulletin came out telling them to change the fluid.
Anyway 54,000 miles later (and barely under warranty), I started hearing clanking noises while coasting at slow speeds or when the transmission down shifted before a stop.
Thought it was the two piece driveshaft, or carrier bearing cause there was lots of slack . Dealership tech replaced the differential.
Thought I was good to go then I started hearing a loud wine at around 65MPH. This is a known problem with these cars.
I took it easy on it for a day. The next morning the wine was gone, I guess the pinion gears had to get a little wear.
Man I was happy cause Dodge will replace it only once with a new one under warranty. After that you get a rebuilt or parts kit.

I'm on my fourth diff. Try Royal Purple 75w-140 some say it works better.

If someone has a wrecked spare for altopsy I'd love to look at it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I believe the factory maintenance schedule I got from my dealership (although it is an R/T) recommends to change the fluid around 50 or 60K maybe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey man, U hit the nail on the head! I just got my 3rd. one. The original one was swapped out at 110k, then the 2nd. one got swapped out at 7,I this one in it now has only 128 miles on it and I want it to last. Same thing happened with me sounds like a good bit of play in the driveline like someone smacking the underbelly with a freaking hammer. Dadgum dealership told me, "it's the nature of the beast." The 1st one did it & howled when you let off the gas just a tad at speeds above 55mph. The 2nd leaked fluid, however, "ALL" of them had that "clunking" sound even this new one. It didn't at first; like say, the 1st 50 miles. It's almost out of the extended 3rd party warranty service 34 miles, but SRT told me that the new rearend come with a one year warranty from Dodge either way. Soooooooo, I'm trying to find someone to check it out and see if it needs tightened up or adjusted or something. A buddy of mine has a 9" Ford he's gonna sell me really really cheap, it's still in the truck and is a late 60's model I want to put in it, if again, I can find someone that knows how to do it. I'm in Asheville NC. Not far from SC, Or Atlanta GA. area. Maybe someone here knows of a place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts