Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been seeking the procedure to remove the side panel so that the power port can be replaced with a dual USB. I use the one inside the console for direct connect to stereo and phone while charging but want to do this so the passenger can charge without adapters in the port.

Can anyone advise? And thanks

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
The online chilton manual has a procedure to remove the power outlets themselves using a T-shaped tool. Just search for power outlet in the repair section.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I assume you have reasons for not just plugging is a dual usb charging port that can be had for $5 and calling it good.

I'm wondering what the process is after you install the dual USB. As far as I know USB is 5V. Will there be any power inversion involved in coming from 12v? I never though about it much but I'm interested.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
I think the OP might want to completely do away with the antiquated 12V receptacle with one of these

I think the outlet can be removed with one of these tools

but you might need to access the on the backside of the outlet to disconnect the plug. On the +2015 you just pop off the center console bezel with a trim tool. Although I think the plug slides out with the outlet so you can disconnect it. No installing of a USB only plug depends on the type purchased...most are threaded and use a nut like the one above. Have yet to see one that directly pops in the hole like the power outlet though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts