Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure what's happening. Battery needed to be jumped off for the first time last weekend. Horn blared and would not turn off with key fob. Car cranked and drove home. Once in driveway, car will not turn off. I can push the button as may times as I want and car will not move from RUN position. The car is registering that the transmission is in Park.
I pull the ignition relay to turn the engine off, and then disconnect the battery because the interior stays on. Then when I am ready to do more troubleshooting, connect the battery to the horn blaring and same situation again.

Car cranks and drives fine, no issues. Battery has held a charge since jumping off.

Any magic wand or experiences I can lean on from someone?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Look into the abs module. Crazy i know, but when i made the swap on mine i had the module unhooked and the button would start the car, but not turn it off. Hook up a scanner and pull all the codes from the whole car, not just the ecu

·
Super Moderator
17,240 Posts
another way to force shut down would be to press and HOLD the Start/ Stop button for 3+ seconds.

if someone had a stuck throttle / runaway throtte, this will shut the engine off as well (even in motion) by pressing and holding the button down (safety feature).

Another stop to try is push start button with rounded end of fob on any 2015+. This will allow induction to power the fob and see if it re-initializes the rolling code to make it correctly recognize the fob.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hal H, I appreciate you joining in on this, as I tried those suggestions from a Tech friend of mine.

1. I held the button down for 5+ seconds, and nothing.
2. The keyfob trick I tried after realizing the 2015+ didn't have the key insert,as in previous years.

I am going to try these one more time today, based on your suggestions. It wont hurt. Again, I appreciate your knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
17,240 Posts
hope it works - the dead battery scrambled up all sorts of things.

It might warrant a trip to have the BCM scanned to see if there's error codes that need to be cleared and may resolve the issues.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,785 Posts
Best scanner software (there is an android and PC version) is alfaOBD, it sees codes that most generic scanners won't read. Requires an OBD interface like OBDlink MX bluetooth (has a superior chipset to ELM327 in most generic interfaces).

FWIW my JGC went crazy when the battery died. Once I disconnected the battery and charged it up there were a ton of codes stored by my BCM/ABS/Climate control module that I cleared.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,785 Posts
According to the FSM apparently if you repeatedly hit the button it will cause the engine to shut off.

"After putting the vehicle into park, pushing the KIN’s Go-Button allows the vehicle’s engine to be shut off. In an emergency, pressing the Go-Button continuously for 2 seconds or repeatedly (one hit every 30- 500ms) will cause the engine to shut off when vehicle speed is greater than 5 mph."

On a side note, I did see a guy on the HC forum with a similar problem where the car would not shut off after having his front window tinted. Apparently water from the tinting process shorted out something on the dash...apparently has happened to other HC owners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the input. Today was the first day I was able to get back to it.

My blue tooth scanner is giving me codes I think are from the original battery dying. That being said, I tried a new battery and that didn't fix it. I will look into the suggested scanner software mentioned above and see where that goes.

I have tried holding down the button for an emergency shutoff and that doesn't work either. I tried repeatedly hitting it, as well. I will look into the scanner software.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,785 Posts
Sounds like you have:

U1433-24-Implausible Ignition Switch Status Message Received - Signal Stuck High

Set Conditions:
  • The Body Control Module (BCM) detects the CAN Bus message from the Radio Frequency (RF) Hub Module transitions between ignition off and ignition on, but the hardwired ignition input from the RF Hub Module did not change states for greater than 10 seconds.
Default Actions:
  • The vehicle will not transfer to the Off position.

Possible Causes
IGNITION RUN-START OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
RADIO FREQUENCY (RF) HUB MODULE
BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM)

If you go through the chiltons manual you can view the diagnostic steps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i wanted to provide an update, or final fix, for anyone tracking the thread.

After getting nowhere with diagnosing at my place, I dropped it at the dealership. They started, and was confident in, replacing the Wireless Ignition Module. This did not fix the problem. In the end, the WIN, Receiver/Hub, and the Body Control Module (BCM) had to be replaced. I think, in my opinion, when the car had to be jumped off, a surge hit that system in some way.

Either way, I appreciate all of the input and suggestions. You guys jumped in wit some knowledgeable ideas and that's what its all about. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,785 Posts
Glad you finally got it fixed and appreciate you posting the fix. Can't believe these cars are so sensitive to dead batteries, although the pre-2015s seem to ship the bed more often than the newer models. My 2013 JGC recently had a dead battery and trying to jump it made the BCM freak out...it does not like low voltage. There were a bunch of codes I had to clear once I charged the battery and reinstalled it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts