Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
tony, you can run 6 psi safe with a solid tune for a while, any more boost and you loose reliability. there are companies out there that sell pistons/rod upgrades that do no require balancing or re-boring, unless it is a high mileage block, then I would getting the block freshened up.

I have not upgraded yet but am shortly, I have just spec'ed out a set of pistons/rods from modern muscle and am getting the upgraded bearings and thicker head gaskets and the moly top ring:

6.4L 392 HEMI Forged 2618 Drop In Pistons and Rods Power Package - Modern Muscle Xtreme

·
Registered
887 Posts
Andy,
I was away on vacation when you posted this and am just seeing this now for the first time. Great write-up! It's nice to see all the steps involved. I'm sure it will give someone else the confidence to do their own installation. Nice job!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Andy
Thank you for the reply, with regards upgrading the pistons and rods , I am now considering what you said It will be in that part of my head
knowing that it will be safe in the long run, most likely I`ll get the parts from Modern Muscle, can you be good to let me know how you progress
kind regards
Tony in UK

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
So, I didn't like the stock jackshaft cover, so I modified it. I rough cut out the center of the letters with a xacto knife, and with a set of jewelers files, trimmed it out the rest. shoulda came from the factory this way, I'm sure it doesn't because it isn't as strong with the letters centers punched out, but whatevs.

I just got my car/build back from the shop. Your great idea got me thinking I wanted more from this cover also. I decided to go a little different route.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
How'd you do that Dryden?
Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover spray paint and a very small paint brush. I didn't mask and spray. I sprayed the paint into a small cup and brushed it into the recessed lettering. It took 3 coats to get the proper coverage. Let the solvent carrier in the paint flash off in the cup before you apply any additional coats after the first.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Forgot to mention this spray paint bonds to plastic

·
Registered
62 Posts
Would these headers still fit/work on the challenger if I order them? I don't know much about SC but my turbo on my other car I had to get new headers. Don't want to spend money twice!

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So I've upgraded the upper pulley and went with the whipple CAI and added a smaller oil catch can since I was still getting oil in the intake.

this little guy? I wouldn't worry about this little guy:D .

also installed the whipple intake, didn't like how the stock box sat with the blower, the coupler would eventually go crooked because the intake doesn't line up right with the stock airbox. and I was also able to install a secondary oil separator, the whipple was still getting oil into the intake. hopefully this stops it.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,564 Posts
So I've upgraded the upper pulley and went with the whipple CAI and added a smaller oil catch can since I was still getting oil in the intake.

this little guy? I wouldn't worry about this little guy:D .
Now that's some Serious belt wrap there! I'd be shocked if that slips!

Nice job! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Now that's some Serious belt wrap there! I'd be shocked if that slips!

Nice job! :thumbsup:

yeah, I did the math, and if I did it correctly once I upgrade the ATI damper from the 5% to 17%(7.48") combined with the 2.75 upper and my redline at 6,600 RPM, I will be at the upper end of whipple's recommended efficiency range. just under 18k RPM .

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
ok, so for those that have a whipple with the oil seperator and think it's getting all the oil. it's not. I added the second smaller JLT oil seperator to pick up the added oil that was getting by the seperator. this was with less than 100 miles of driving with a few WOT runs in there. it got a solid tablespoon of oil. I didn't expect that much. and i looked into the whipple where it was pooling up. dry as a bone!

bottom line. get a catch can that is isolated from the engine. only thing that makes sense to me is that it is sucking up oil from the valve cover oil since it is open. and yes I have it on correctly SC inlet side and PCV side respectively.

here is how I have it setup. the adapter that's in each line is temporary. I have a set of 3/8" to 1/2" barb adapters on their way.

there's oil in that thar catch can!

drained into a paint mixing cup

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
did a datalog set today for AJ, 1st and 2nd gears are useless at WOT, go figure, just blows off the tires. I have to datalog in 3rd gear and start around 2500 rpm so the tires don't spin. With this datalog set it's still set to pig rich(10.1 A/F, and boost showed at 13.04 pounds at 5,500 RPM but it's not knocking or less than a 1/2 degree commanded. with another 1k rpm that should be 13.5 pounds of boost. can't wait to get it fine tuned.

gonna max out the recommended blower speed with a 7.48" ATI pulley and call it a day. should be right at 18k RPM on the blower at redline and that should put me at 15.5 to 16 psi. so close to being done!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
BD R/T,

I am seeing oil in the inlet to the whipple seperator as well when I removed the quick disconnect from the PCV side hose, so it leads me to believe it is working to some point. don't know if it would be any more if I just removed the whipple oil separator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
did a datalog set today for AJ, 1st and 2nd gears are useless at WOT, go figure, just blows off the tires. I have to datalog in 3rd gear and start around 2500 rpm so the tires don't spin. With this datalog set it's still set to pig rich(10.1 A/F, and boost showed at 13.04 pounds at 5,500 RPM but it's not knocking or less than a 1/2 degree commanded. with another 1k rpm that should be 13.5 pounds of boost. can't wait to get it fine tuned.

gonna max out the recommended blower speed with a 7.53" ATI pulley and call it a day. should be right at 18k RPM on the blower at redline and that should put me at 15.5 to 16 psi. so close to being done!
Im glad your getting your tune dialed in...Are you and AJ still using the Diablo or have you switched to a different tuner? Are you still getting the flutter is is that all worked out? Im taking my car back to Whipple on Tuesday and hopefully they will square it away. Unfortunately ill be out of town for two weeks so i won't be able to drive it.

Im looking forward to an update on the final details.

41 - 60 of 110 Posts