Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
sorry for the late reply, yes still with AJ and the diablo trinity, partial throttle boost oscillation has been fixed. smooth throttle now throughout the range. I have found a local gas station that sells 100 octane gas at a reasonable price so I will be making my own 93 octane blend if not just running the 100 octane.

Im glad your getting your tune dialed in...Are you and AJ still using the Diablo or have you switched to a different tuner? Are you still getting the flutter is is that all worked out? Im taking my car back to Whipple on Tuesday and hopefully they will square it away. Unfortunately ill be out of town for two weeks so i won't be able to drive it.

Im looking forward to an update on the final details.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I'm able to give a response on this one. Yes. I have the 3.250" upper pulley on my Whipple, it was necessary to cut a small notch out of the insulation liner and inner layer of hood metal. The hole is in a place that is for the most part hidden. The only way you can see it is to lean over the engine and look back and up. Natural observation of the engine compartment leaves it unnoticeable to the casual observer.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
2.750" pulley??? Wow! I bought my kit used and the guy I got it from was running the 3.25" pulley on a 5.7 with long tubes. I pulled that pulley off and I'm running a 3.50" for now and I still see over 9.5 psi. I got the 3.25" running safely in terms of proper AFRs and zero knock but man.. I saw boost in the 11's and I even have heads, cam, long tubes, catless mids and a 3" exhaust. I will keep the 3.50" on (9 - 9.5 psi) until I can do drop-ins next Spring.

I absolutely love the Whipple. I've run Eaton (roots), 2 different Novi's (centrifugal like a pro charger) and I just tuned my buddy's ProCharger and the Whipple is by far, my favorite.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Thank you, SRT Andy, can't tell you enough how much this has helped,though I'm nowhere near finishing, your pictorial guide has eased a lot of my tensions installing this kit. I have a big question that is bothering me and has me suspended at the moment: on step #49, pinning the crank - exactly how do you stop the balancer from rotating when you torque down to 129 ft/lbs? I started to torque and noticed my painted green dot moved from the 2 O'clock position to about 2:20, then realized my transmission was in neutral. I engaged and began torquing again and it moved just a touch more. I'm baffled - should I attempt to move it back? Or maybe just pop a strap wrench around the balancer and finish it out? Probably should have used the strap wrench in the first place and I'm kicking myself. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Again,thank you!

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
I used the original serpentine belt and wrapped it around the damper and water pump pulley using it like a strap wrench.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Keeper Tip!

Thank you for that excellent idea, since my strap wrench was 1/2" too short. Worked like a charm! Great tip!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Photo Bucket

Why can't I see any of your pictures? All I see is the Photo Bucket icon.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,820 Posts
Photobucket changed their terms of service and no longer allow hotlinking pictures unless you buy an expensive package. Millions of images on the internet are broken because of it. If @SRT Andy still has them, he can link you to the gallery on Photobucket with the pictures if he would. A Guy

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Adding a second catch can

So I've upgraded the upper pulley and went with the whipple CAI and added a smaller oil catch can since I was still getting oil in the intake.

this little guy? I wouldn't worry about this little guy:D .

also installed the whipple intake, didn't like how the stock box sat with the blower, the coupler would eventually go crooked because the intake doesn't line up right with the stock airbox. and I was also able to install a secondary oil separator, the whipple was still getting oil into the intake. hopefully this stops it.

Can someone post a picture that I can see of the added 2nd catch can. (All I see is a photobucket Icon)

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Another great info thread ruined by Photobuckets greed.....

·
Registered
2016 RT
107 Posts
How did you stop engine from turning when you took the crank bolt out ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
bkva Hi,
you can lock off the fly wheel with a allen key, correct me but I think there`s a hole for the allen key to go inm a flat bar that will lock the teeth on the flywheel, be careful it does not slip off once its locked you can undo the

bolt, its on tight !! guys out there is this right in what I`m saying ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nice work....

·
Registered
2016 RT
107 Posts
Great stuff
Just finished installing a Whipple 2.9 on my 5.7
it sounds like their stuff rattling around in there when I reported it to their techs they said it's just breaking in that it'll dissipate Did you have the same sounds?

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
I am guessing you run that to the 2nd breather and then to the intake? If you put your 2nd intake before that and instead of running that line to the intake, just put a breather on it, you will get rid of the oil issue. That's what I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 RT
107 Posts
Thank you, SRT Andy, can't tell you enough how much this has helped,though I'm nowhere near finishing, your pictorial guide has eased a lot of my tensions installing this kit. I have a big question that is bothering me and has me suspended at the moment: on step #49, pinning the crank - exactly how do you stop the balancer from rotating when you torque down to 129 ft/lbs? I started to torque and noticed my painted green dot moved from the 2 O'clock position to about 2:20, then realized my transmission was in neutral. I engaged and began torquing again and it moved just a touch more. I'm baffled - should I attempt to move it back? Or maybe just pop a strap wrench around the balancer and finish it out? Probably should have used the strap wrench in the first place and I'm kicking myself. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Again,thank you!
Just finished installing one of these on my 5.7. Before I figured out how to keep the pulley from turning when I torqued I turned the crank quite a bit. Does turning the crank cause any concerns?

·
Registered
2016 RT
107 Posts
Just finished installing a Whipple 2.9 on my 5.7
it sounds like their stuff rattling around in there. when I reported it to their techs they said it's just breaking in that it'll dissipate. Did you have the same sounds?

61 - 80 of 110 Posts