Dodge Challenger Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,521 Posts
I don't have a whipple but I run a magnuson with headers and I have yet to complete emissions as I have a 2015 (testing is required in 2019).

One thing I have learned is you cannot disable any of the DTCs in the tune and you can't disable the rear O2 sensors as this will cause the O2/cat monitors to show up as incomplete...and hence fail.

Everything is showing as complete but the cats and O2. For them to show as complete I have yet to perform the drive cycle to get the monitors to run. This requires some highway run time which the car rarely sees. I plan to get the required monitors to all show up as complete by spring of 2019.

You don't disable them, you mark them as no error reported and it won't throw a code or mess with a readiness test for emissions (that's what I did but I was using EfiLive on my old Vette, but I'm pretty sure that it'd work the same way with HP Tuners).

Just make sure that you're doing the rears because doing the front ones would pretty much guarantee some problems popping up.

Good Luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,180 Posts
You don't disable them, you mark them as no error reported and it won't throw a code or mess with a readiness test for emissions (that's what I did but I was using EfiLive on my old Vette, but I'm pretty sure that it'd work the same way with HP Tuners).

Just make sure that you're doing the rears because doing the front ones would pretty much guarantee some problems popping up.

Good Luck! :cheers:
It's not the same on the +2015s. If you bump up the ECT on the rear O2s to disable them they will not monitor emissions and show up as not ready if you do. As for DTC, HP only gives SES or MIL enable. On my original tune from Arrington they turned off a bunch of stuff by unchecking SES (O2, evap, fuel sensor....etc) which I un-did and have zero issues (I am also running long tube headers)...I have been driving like this for about a year now. Some of the settings were preventing the Evap monitor from running. The newer dodge PCMs are not like the GM or older dodge PCMs.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?67879-No-error-reported-DTCS-for-Dodge

BTW the tuning school uses a 2015 5.7 charger as the example in their booklet and in the tuning for supercharger section there is no mention of disabling the rear O2 sensors at all. They also only disable SES and leave MIL on but in some cases this will cause you not to pass emissions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 RT
107 Posts
For those of you in a state with emissions testing how did you fare?
Good question. Have not had smog yet. Going to look into my tune and see if I can adjust as per recomendations in following posts. Hope I can understand.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,180 Posts
Good question. Have not had smog yet. Going to look into my tune and see if I can adjust as per recomendations in following posts. Hope I can understand.
If you have HP tuner, just use VCM scanner to look at the current state of the monitors. If you have any that are incomplete (more than 1) you will not pass emissions.

BTW if you are using a Diablosport tuner...you are stuck with what your tuner gave you.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f176/best-supercharger-662611/index4.html?662611=#post8395823

·
Registered
2016 RT
107 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,180 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,521 Posts
It's not the same on the +2015s. If you bump up the ECT on the rear O2s to disable them they will not monitor emissions and show up as not ready if you do. As for DTC, HP only gives SES or MIL enable. On my original tune from Arrington they turned off a bunch of stuff by unchecking SES (O2, evap, fuel sensor....etc) which I un-did and have zero issues (I am also running long tube headers)...I have been driving like this for about a year now. Some of the settings were preventing the Evap monitor from running. The newer dodge PCMs are not like the GM or older dodge PCMs.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?67879-No-error-reported-DTCS-for-Dodge

BTW the tuning school uses a 2015 5.7 charger as the example in their booklet and in the tuning for supercharger section there is no mention of disabling the rear O2 sensors at all. They also only disable SES and leave MIL on but in some cases this will cause you not to pass emissions.

Thank You! I didn't know that and like to learn new stuff, especially when it comes to tuning. Thanks also for the link.

Your last sentence makes sense too about not passing emissions because it's still doing what it's not suppose to do but it's not setting off the CEL (check engine light) and not allowing it to complete the readiness/monitor test. At least that's my guess. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

They are right in that link though, GM Guys do get the breaks and it seems like Dodge is pretty tight lipped when it comes to coding stuff, especially compared to GM. The thing is that self tuning a Dodge is still in its infancy compared to GM tuning which has been done for over a decade now. More stuff will be available as the popularity increases too. The more people that tune, the more info that will be learned/shared.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know it's an old thread...

I couldn't see a total time for the installation (working time) do you know roughly how long it took?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,180 Posts
It can be done over the weekend at a leisure pace (tuning via email is what is time consuming). I installed my magnuson (similar to whipple install) by myself and only needed help mounting the SC unit to the engine. Although total install took a couple of weeks because my SC unit had the wrong snout. BTW whipple installs may need the hood notched so the SC pulley can clear it. Just because the install takes a day or so does not mean the car will be up and running when you are done. If something is off with the baseline tune the car can be sitting until the tuner (usually via email) can correct it. In my case, on the very first tune the engine would cut out a 4000rpm because the cutoff rpms were set for an auto and not a manual.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts