Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone vinyl-wrapped their dash (around the gauge bezel area) or console? I'd like to know how it worked out.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Vinyl Wrap

I'm thinking of using something like this. I'll remove the dash bezel and I know I'll need to use a heat gun, but I still don't know if there would be too many curves in the 2015+ dashboards.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I used their more expensive real wood kit on my old 2012 RT and I loved it, however those pieces were almost flat where these are not.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I ordered a kit in Red Oak, similar to what I had in my '12. Not sure when I will get the time to start once it arrives but I will post up my results when I do.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used their more expensive real wood kit on my old 2012 RT and I loved it, however those pieces were almost flat where these are not.
Yeah, the 2008-14 dash is flatter - would be easy to wrap. The 2015+ has so many curves. Do you have a link to the kit you ordered?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,928 Posts
Makes you confident it will fit :)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
The kit got here in about 4 days, and that was the only real positive. The pieces do not fully cover, leaving a distinct border exposed, and the cut on the two pieces I actually tried to use was off, mainly the arc of the corner curves. The woodgrain had a nice natural look to it, I really hoped that it would work out, but it didnt. With the complex curves on the console and dash pieces, paying for a quality hydrodip is probably a better solution.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The kit got here in about 4 days, and that was the only real positive. The pieces do not fully cover, leaving a distinct border exposed, and the cut on the two pieces I actually tried to use was off, mainly the arc of the corner curves. The woodgrain had a nice natural look to it, I really hoped that it would work out, but it didnt. With the complex curves on the console and dash pieces, paying for a quality hydrodip is probably a better solution.
Sorry about the disappointment with the pre-cut rvinyl kit, and thanks for the heads up about it. Maybe if you get on their case you can get a refund.

I'm still thinking about getting the StyleTech wrap in wood grain. My only concern is as we know the the dash bezel is very curved. It only cost $24.99 and I have a coupon for Pep Boys, so if it doesn't work it's not a big loss. If I get it next week I'll let you guys know how it works out. If I do it I'll also cover the console.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up ordering a hard (plastic) kit from ebay as opposed to the vinyl decal: DASH TRIM PREMIUM KIT 25 PCS FITS DODGE CHALLENGER 2015-UP (DODCHA-15B) | eBay

I'll let you know how it goes...
Kit arrived in 4 days. Packaged very well. The product is not a vinyl decal, nor is it a hard plastic; it is a soft plastic. The wood pattern and finish looked good, but when I went to test-fit the product, I noticed considerable gaps that would reveal the matrix pattern of the OEM dash and console. I know once attached, the overlays would lightly stretch, but I think the gap would still be easily visible. At one corner of the console overlay, I noticed it was pointy whereas the console pattern was curved. The price was good and I liked the looks of the kit, but the test-fit shows me the completed product will be a disapointment, at least to me - I'll always notice the imperfections. I'm returning the kit.

I guess the best dash kits are the hard plastic ones that start at $200. I'll either spring for that, or go a different direction and spray my dash and console an aluminum color. Or possibly go with my original post and vinyl wrap the pieces. Any suggestions - especially experience - with the 2015+ dashboards, is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
The fit on the vilyl kit was bad, but not that bad. Sorry it didnt work out. I am still leaning towards hydrodipping, even if I have to buy a $100 kit and do it myself. I still have a console trim piece here from my old '12 that I can use for practice.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The fit on the vilyl kit was bad, but not that bad. Sorry it didnt work out. I am still leaning towards hydrodipping, even if I have to buy a $100 kit and do it myself. I still have a console trim piece here from my old '12 that I can use for practice.
It wouldn't be that bad if I wasn't going for an Old School look, but I didn't think the matrix-dotted gaps would look good next to the wood tones.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts