Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone run their 2016/15/17scat shaker in any type of standing mile or half events. what top speeds? and at what altitudes? I got a spot at race wars in AZ and am trying to get an idea of what these cars do stock. I may not be ready to unlock pcm to move speed limiter up but I don't think in a mile it will get 186. but I would hate to get to that only to have it shut off. anyone done these or have an actual idea of trap speed.

·
Registered
798 Posts
has anyone run their 2016/15/17scat shaker in any type of standing mile or half events. what top speeds? and at what altitudes? I got a spot at race wars in AZ and am trying to get an idea of what these cars do stock. I may not be ready to unlock pcm to move speed limiter up but I don't think in a mile it will get 186. but I would hate to get to that only to have it shut off. anyone done these or have an actual idea of trap speed.
Had my SRT 392 at the Texas Mile (almost sea level) twice and the Hellcat last April and will bring her back in October. All the 392's stock with the A8 were doing 161 - 166 MPH tops. Not even a stock Hellcat will do 186 MPH in the mile. They were around 173 - 179 for the A8 and a little less for the M6. The 392's were doing around 150 - 153 MPH in the half mile. This is not a timed event; just speed in the quarter, half and mile.

Have fun!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had my SRT 392 at the Texas Mile (almost sea level) twice and the Hellcat last April and will bring her back in October. All the 392's stock with the A8 were doing 161 - 166 MPH tops. Not even a stock Hellcat will do 186 MPH in the mile. They were around 173 - 179 for the A8 and a little less for the M6. The 392's were doing around 150 - 153 MPH in the half mile. This is not a timed event; just speed in the quarter, half and mile.

Have fun!
I was thinking in the 150-160 range. I didn't want to put money it pcm so that's good news. I want stability stuff and shifter. I'm hoping to have good vids will post some. It's sept 30

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The SRTs are not speed restricted. Just drag. The SP is "powered by SRT". Good luck
186 is the limiter. It's set to the ratings for the tires. Well above anything could hope for. They said the may have a round or two with the mile at a roll. Just those speeds won't count in other national events. I am stoked tho. Chomping at the bit.

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
There is no speed limiter. The car won't run over 186 mph so no need to limit it. Again there is no speed limiter on any 392 powered Challenger nor any SRT vehicle except Demon. The later SRT cars have 275s in (106Y), these tires have greater load capacity and are tested above 186 mph, Hellcat has run 199 mph and Hellcat Charger 204 mph with these tires.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
There is no speed limiter. The car won't run over 186 mph so no need to limit it. Again there is no speed limiter on any 392 powered Challenger nor any SRT vehicle except Demon. The later SRT cars have 275s in (106Y), these tires have greater load capacity and are tested above 186 mph, Hellcat has run 199 mph and Hellcat Charger 204 mph with these tires.

Slidd is correct. a 106Y rated tire has a speed rating of 186. If in parenthesis, (106Y) is rated at over 186. Both the Challenger and Charger OEM tires are (106Y) rated so I am assuming that since the Charger is rated for 204 then the tires can handle it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know everyone is certain about what's what but here are that facts. ALL of these dodge cars have a speed limiter. The factory sets them at the limit of the tire. The scat Pack will not exceed 186 due to this limit. Tires are eagle F1 super car 245/46zr20. 99Y. These are good for 186 for 1 hr of duration per good year. I have not pulled a tune from a hell cat but will bet that this number is there because it cannot be left blank(I can set it at any number) The different tires will have higher or lower ratings as well as limiter in car. This tab in pcm looks the sam in every dodge I have downloaded tune from. They all have it. Lost of ppl debate this point so I have posted the stock tune file section on limiter in the pic below. If someone with a SRT or hellcat can show this section with no limiter. Please post it. Really I'd like to see how high it's actually set even if it's there.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Slidd is correct. a 106Y rated tire has a speed rating of 186. If in parenthesis, (106Y) is rated at over 186. Both the Challenger and Charger OEM tires are (106Y) rated so I am assuming that since the Charger is rated for 204 then the tires can handle it.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
Ok interesting info but the SRT engineers themselves have said there is no limiter so who to believe? The Hellcat tires are (106Y) which is a higher speed rating than 106Y and we know they will go faster than 186 mph stock so they can't be limited.

We've debated this before, be cool if you could look at Hellcat and others.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,024 Posts
What if someone cheaps out on tires? I guess that's on them then.

A Guy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok interesting info but the SRT engineers themselves have said there is no limiter so who to believe? The Hellcat tires are (106Y) which is a higher speed rating than 106Y and we know they will go faster than 186 mph stock so they can't be limited.

We've debated this before, be cool if you could look at Hellcat and others.

Here no need to debate I found if. This is why ppl believe there is no limit. 254 that like the Veyronn. Oddly I can't seem to find an SRT tune to see the difference between the 2. I stand corrected on the portion of my statement that the limit is set at max rating of the tire. (106Y) is still 186 mph. The parenthesis only denoted that the tires HAVE been tested in EXCESS of 186. The 106 is just load index slightly heavier load capacity than 99 y.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Maybe the max speed is set to 186 for Scat Packs & SRTs because the car isn't capable of that speed anyway in stock tune. Thus, no speed limit per the SRT engineers. I believe the fastest anyone has had their stock 392 was around 179-180.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe the max speed is set to 186 for Scat Packs & SRTs because the car isn't capable of that speed anyway in stock tune. Thus, no speed limit per the SRT engineers. I believe the fastest anyone has had their stock 392 was around 179-180.
Quite possibly that would explain the limit being so high on the Hellcat. My original reasoning for ask how fast ppl have gotten in these cars, was hitting a speed limiter is not always smooth. I didn't want any surprises at that speed. So this may be an interesting event then. The elevation is 7000 ft. At altitude there is a power loss, but that loss is consistent regardless if I'm cruising or going all out. The main factor that would prevent these cars not achieve that speed drag. And there is significantly less drag. The host of this event say that's why they chose this venue. It far out in the middle of nowhere. But there aren't very many places in the country that you have and airport at that elevation. Then out of those--are they willing to allow the event and are there enough ppl in the area to make it viable.
I am trying to acquire some video equipment. I will post as much as I can. I want one angle of the speedo but with the track ahead in view.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
There is a speed limiter in HP Tuners for my car. 186 mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Here is a Hellcat. Basically.... no limiter... 254 mph

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'm going to run my car at Talladega at some point. The back straight is 4,000 ft and I can hit it at speed.

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
Ok so Scat Pack limit is 186 mph, I wonder about the SRT 392?

Be nice to get them all.

Guess you have to have an unlocked PCM to see?

I'm going to run my car at Talladega at some point. The back straight is 4,000 ft and I can hit it at speed.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Ok so Scat Pack limit is 186 mph, I wonder about the SRT 392?

Be nice to get them all.

Guess you have to have an unlocked PCM to see?

I found a 2014 SRT 392 tune file on HP and it was also 186 mph. I used to have a 2015 SRT 392 tune file that I used for reference; however I can't find it now. I'm 99% sure it was also 186 mph.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With all that said. I am expecting a significant loss of power. Does anyone know of a fuel or additives that can be run in these cars that won't hurt the cats. Something that requires less oxygen to reach total combustion. Maybe lessoning the effects of the thinner air. I'll probably lose 100 hp. At 7k. Anything saved will be great

1 - 20 of 21 Posts