Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2016 SXT, and I'm already finding several upgrades I want after finding this forum. The first is to upgrade my 5.0 to the 8.4an. I've seen them on Infotainment, and they appear to be plug n play but a little more than I would like to spend. Is it possible to get one from a junkyard, and/or possibly from a different car type ( Ram, Jeep, ect...)?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Scatpack Torred
140 Posts
Just bought a 2016 SXT, and I'm already finding several upgrades I want after finding this forum. The first is to upgrade my 5.0 to the 8.4an. I've seen them on Infotainment, and they appear to be plug n play but a little more than I would like to spend. Is it possible to get one from a junkyard, and/or possibly from a different car type ( Ram, Jeep, ect...)?

Yes. In fact I'm selling one with NAV off my 2016 scat. $999 US and it's yours ;-). Condition is 10/10

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, still a little higher than I was looking to go right now. I was seeing them on wrecked vehicles around $500-600. Just concerned it wouldn't be plug n play.

·
Registered
580 Posts

Keep in mind that swapping out the radio in a brand new car with something from a wrecked car opens up the possibility of the dealer restricting your warranty for any future electronic problems down the road. Not saying they will do it, but it would not be something I want to mess with for the first year or two of ownership. But hey, it's your car. Let us know how the upgrade goes.

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
If you buy a radio from a wrecked car, isn't it married to the VIN of the wrecked car too, or no??

I'm speaking the radios in 2015's on up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MEKrunner- not sure I'm new to the Challenger world. I figured it would have to be programmed to the VIN on my car.

GodKingz - pm sent

·
Registered
140 Posts
Does not need programming. Car PCM picks it up. Warranty won't be covered unless you pay the ridiculous price Dodge will charge you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about an anti-theft code? I was watching one of the install videos and they show inputting a code when the radio is started for the first time in the new vehicle.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What about an anti-theft code? I was watching one of the install videos and they show inputting a code when the radio is started for the first time in the new vehicle.
Only for new units with unactivated radios.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2016 RT without the puck or sharkfin antenna, and I noticed that behind the radio there is a wire, like the radio connection wires, that is zip tied back there with a blue fakra connector on it but is not being used but is just hanging there, does anyone have an idea what this wire is for?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Blue Wire

I have a 2016 RT without the puck or sharkfin antenna, and I noticed that behind the radio there is a wire, like the radio connection wires, that is zip tied back there with a blue fakra connector on it but is not being used but is just hanging there, does anyone have an idea what this wire is for?
That would be the connector for sxm/gps. However if you car came with the 5.0 radio you may not have the wire connected to anything, besides if you upgrade the radio to the 8.4 the connector is actually keyed differently.
This is explained in a thread on how to upgrade your 5.0 radio the 8.4 nav radio. That thread is complete with a pdf that has all the other part numbers you need from Dodge to get everything working.

Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts