Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When boring a motor what does the Challenger talk.com community have to say about boring the 3.6L. V6 engine in my 2016 Dodge Challenger SXT. I know they say go bigger go home and just do it a thousand over but I was thinking maybe of only more than 20 to 30 over. What are your suggestions if any and or your thoughts on building the V6 3.6 l. I know in the long run it will be cheaper just to purchase the 345 5.7 l like I want you but I figure I have the V6 so why not. Interested in hearing some feedback and info from this new Challenger top community I've belonged to. Thank you much,
The "red ripper"

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,477 Posts
Modding the 3.6L for more power is an expensive undertaking. Forced induction like nitrous or a supercharger will return the most noticeable gains in power output, but they are also expensive and labor intensive to install and get working.

Disassembly of the 3.6L to bore out the cylinders in search of more power output is not practical. At most it would add 2-3 cubic inches of displacement. More displacement is always better then less, but the difference in displacement has to be large enough to make a difference, and a few extra cubic inches won’t be felt in acceleration or top speed numbers.

The thousands of dollars it would cost to go that route would be wasted on the results returned, in other words.

A less expensive, less complex undertaking to making the car quicker would be to swap the rear-end with a lower geared one. If you have 2.65 rear gears, you can go with a 3.07 or a 3.91 rear-end to make the car accelerate quicker. No power is added, but it will certainly feel that way.

If you already have the 3.07 rear-end, your only option is to go with a 3.91 if looking to upgrade. That will require extra parts to make work since it is an LSD design as opposed to the open design you have now. Even factoring the extra cost of an LSD upgrade in, you will get much more out of that than trying to bore the engine for more cubes.

Reactions: FreddyG and 18PCPGT

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
681 Posts
I agree, trying to hop up a 3.6 is not going to be cost effective. Good engine, but not meant to be a high performance engine in a heavy car like a Challenger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2016 challenger scat 3.6L V6? I know Dodge has a lot of trim levels, but I’m not sure about this one...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
It would be cheaper to supercharge unless you wanted to bore AND supercharge :D Basically Prodigy for pistons and rods and Block Guards. They have Forged Pistons to support an overbore of .020, They have done 18lbs of boost on their built engines. But look at the prices for the individual parts...they sell forged engines for $10,995.00

A Guy

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,370 Posts
You cant just bore the heads the Heads and Exhaust Headers are Cast Together.... 2016 PCM is also locked btw so there is about 1500 to 1700.00 upgrade. By the time you really gain serious HP out of that engine you could get an RT cheaper and easier to get more HP... The 3.6 is a excellent engine with plenty of Pep. You want more throttle Response a Banks Pedal Monster which has more fail safe then the popular Pedal Commander... To get Torque and HP over the 270ish rear wheel can easily run thousands Super Charger2 k Coil Packs, Throttle Body, Mod PCM, Update the Intake, etc., and of course Braking system... For cheap id go the Pedal Monster 2nd would be a Modded PCM and then take to a Tune Shop with a Dyno and have them put a Diablo Tuner on it... Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
He's talking boring the cylinders, not porting the heads (although that could be done too). With no off the shelf cam shafts replacements (4), and the cost of the forged internals, supercharging is the easiest path to more power on the V6

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,607 Posts
I agree with the others that for your dollar to performance ratio, that it's not the best value. I also agree with Wm. Internet Rock DJ on the Pedal Commander or the Banks setup. It'll make your Challenger feel quicker without breaking the bank.

Just my opinion though and Good Luck in whatever you choose. (y)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Modding the 3.6L for more power is an expensive undertaking. Forced induction like nitrous or a supercharger will return the most noticeable gains in power output, but they are also expensive and labor intensive to install and get working.

Disassembly of the 3.6L to bore out the cylinders in search of more power output is not practical. At most it would add 2-3 cubic inches of displacement. More displacement is always better then less, but the difference in displacement has to be large enough to make a difference, and a few extra cubic inches won’t be felt in acceleration or top speed numbers.

The thousands of dollars it would cost to go that route would be wasted on the results returned, in other words.

A less expensive, less complex undertaking to making the car quicker would be to swap the rear-end with a lower geared one. If you have 2.65 rear gears, you can go with a 3.07 or a 3.91 rear-end to make the car accelerate quicker. No power is added, but it will certainly feel that way.

If you already have the 3.07 rear-end, your only option is to go with a 3.91 if looking to upgrade. That will require extra parts to make work since it is an LSD design as opposed to the open design you have now. Even factoring the extra cost of an LSD upgrade in, you will get much more out of that than trying to bore the engine for more cubes.
I want to second the suggestion of adding the 3.07 rear gear setup. I factory ordered it on my 2015 SXT Plus and it makes a real difference in getting off the line as compared to the standard 2.65.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts