Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove them both finally. They had both at a Chrysler dealer by me.

The Challenger..

It was in the green color. It was a pretty car, but would be low on my color choices. It was a 6 spd and had a pistol grip shifter that I actually kind of liked.
It didn't feel as heavy as I thought it would. I'm sure due to the 485hp and 3:91 gears. It felt pretty good. It was noticeably bigger tho.
That thing really moved! I was thoroughly impressed by the way it drove. I had a blast driving it. Absolutely loved the big touch screen with all the performance stuff on it.
I had it on performance the whole time and everything felt good. Definitely a muscle car! Honestly, I'd have no problem owning one. I wasn't expecting that. The exhaust sounded great also.

What I didn't like about it... Honestly, I don't know.. No heads up display.. Tires are too small. Its a real shame that don't make a convertible.

The Mustang

Honestly, I have no idea what some guys fascination is with these cars. The one I drove was a GT Premium with 3k miles on it.. All I have to say is.. What a POS! Literally! It was a 6 spd and it was smooth.
When you shifted it, the car would rock.. My friends 14 Mustang GT did the same thing. Honestly, I couldn't wait to get back into the Challenger or even my GTO. I honestly hated the car. There was nothing special about it.

I would probably go Camaro ZL1, 1LE, then the Challenger. Wish I could own both.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Heard plenty of gt owners complain about how they have trouble keeping up with a scat. If its got the 6 pistons up front ide take the challenger all day

·
Registered
834 Posts
The mustang just blends in with everything else on the road. That's fine, I like blending in, but I just don't think they're particularly good looking cars. I will say the mustang is MUCH more comfortable than the Camaro. I'm just not interested unless it's a Mopar. But like most people I have friends that like brand x cars.

Heads up display? Is that thing from those 90's Caprice Classics still around?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Before I purchased the Challenger I looked/drove a Mustang. I liked it. The reason I ended up with the Challenger was the price I got, a more usable back seat and the Tremec which is a better unit than the Getrag in the Mustang.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Ive never been a stang hater or lover, wouldn't mind having one per say. problem is the latest rendition is terrible, to me the only ones that look alright are the high priced 550s, Roush' etc. But like said things change and people will love it and some will hate it. Sometimes advancement costs customers. Luckily the mustang slappy crowd is pretty big and bigger than challenger so they can probably survive change better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I honestly don't get the love for the Mustang. I didn't like it at all. And to me.. It was NOT more comfortable than the Camaro. The Challenger,Camaro and Mustang all were pretty comfortable. To me, there was zero WOW factor with the Mustang than with the Challenger and Camaro.

·
Registered
178 Posts
OP, i had an 06 GTO between 2006 and 2008, sold it to get into a 2009 G8GT, never had any issues with those vehicles, and have nothing but good stories to share. The challenger has been the same so far, nocking on wood, zero issues, can't say the same about Ford, they haven't changed, they still making POS, they look better now, thats about it :)

My 2013 Stang GT was cheap inside and out, i had the one with the stick shift, and the biggest complaint was the clutch (stiff since i had to mod it, clutch spring mod), and the trans was a chinesse POS MT82, engine will rev nicely, but the Coyotes love to eat oil, more than anything else i've had before, 1 quart every 600 miles. Don;t know if Ford has changed all this for the current model Stang, but that 13 GT was my 2nd Mustang, (1st one was a 2003 Mach1 that i had to trade with only 26k miles because the valve seals were leaking and the stupid thing will smoke upon engine startups, and i swore not to have another one until the Coyote 5.0 came around), and after the 13' i said no more Mustangs for me.

I'm a GM guy at heart, and have nothing but love for the Chevy performance line, however, being 44 with a family of 5 made me more interested in the Dodge line, specifically the Challenger with 6.4L, manual trans and a full rear seat. The SS was too bland looking, and it's hard to argue about performance when you compare 435 vs 485hp, for less money. (i was buying used).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP, i had an 06 GTO back in in 2006 and 2008, sold it to get into a 2009 G8GT, never had any issues with those vehicles, and had nothing but good stories to share. The challenger have been the same so far, nocking on wood, zero issues, can't say the same about Ford, they haven't changed, they still making POS, they look better now, thats about it :)

My 2013 Stang GT was cheap inside and out, i had the one with the stick shift, and the biggest complaint was the clutch (stiff since i had to mod it, clutch spring mod), and the trans was a chinesse POS MT82, engine will rev nicely, but the Coyotes love to eat oil, more than anything else i've had before, 1 quart every 600 miles. Don;t know if Ford has changed all this for the current model Stang, but that 13 GT was my 2nd Mustang, (1st one was a 2003 Mach1 that i had to trade with only 26k miles because the valve seals were leaking and the stupid thing will smoke upon engine startups, and i swore not to have another one until the Coyote 5.0 came around), and after the 13' i said no more Mustangs for me.

I'm a GM guy at heart, and have nothing but love for the Chevy performance line, however, being 44 with a family of 5 made me more interested in the Dodge line, specifically the Challenger with 6.4L, manual trans and a full rear seat. The SS was too bland looking, and it's hard to argue about performance when you compare 435 vs 485hp, for less money. (i was buying used).
Excellent info .. I love my GTO, but I want something more modern. I've never had an issue with my GTO either. If I'm going to spend 30-33k, it would be difficult for me not to go with a ZL1. I loved the Challenger tho. Just wish it had a heads up display.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Excellent info .. I love my GTO, but I want something more modern. I've never had an issue with my GTO either. If I'm going to spend 30-33k, it would be difficult for me not to go with a ZL1. I loved the Challenger tho. Just wish it had a heads up display.
I agree about the GTO. I still have one and still enjoy driving it even if my Challenger is better in almost every way. I'd like to drive the ZL1 sometime to see how it drives. I'm sure they're fun in the twisities, but seem a bit cramped.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
6 Posts
Where are you seeing ZL1 Camaro's for 30-33k?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree about the GTO. I still have one and still enjoy driving it even if my Challenger is better in almost every way. I'd like to drive the ZL1 sometime to see how it drives. I'm sure they're fun in the twisities, but seem a bit cramped.
That's the thing, bigger guys are judging the Camaro because they don't fit in them well. I'm not a big guy, so I don't feel cramped in a Camaro at all. When I drove one, it felt second nature actually..

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's the thing, bigger guys are judging the Camaro because they don't fit in them well. I'm not a big guy, so I don't feel cramped in a Camaro at all. When I drove one, it felt second nature actually..
Hmmm....at 240lbs It's a pretty good bet that I fit in the "bigger" crowd. I never had any issues feeling cramped in my GTO, but a quick seat in the Camaro seemed a bit tight, but I've never driven one. I'm sure I'd love driving one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm....at 240lbs It's a pretty good bet that I fit in the "bigger" crowd. I never had any issues feeling cramped in my GTO, but a quick seat in the Camaro seemed a bit tight, but I've never driven one. I'm sure I'd love driving one.
I'm 5'8 165.. It fit me like a glove. Try getting in the 86 Corvette Convertible I had.. Now that's cramped, and I loved it! Felt like being in the ****pit of a fighter jet. NO, I've never been in one, just speculating :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm 5'8 165.. It fit me like a glove. Try getting in the 86 Corvette Convertible I had.. Now that's cramped, and I loved it! Felt like being in the ****pit of a fighter jet. NO, I've never been in one, just speculating :)
ha, I've actually been in the ****pit of an F-16. Yep, the C4's were a bit tight. I've driven on a few times, but I was also in a little better shape at the time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was a lot younger when I had the Corvette. The GTO is easy to get in and out of. Even my Dad and Brothers C6 Vette's are easier than the older F-bodies and the C4 Corvette.

·
Registered
216 Posts
lol thinking the same thing must be about a 5-6 year old one.
I bought a 2013 ZL1 last year for quite a bit more, but it was a very low mileage car.

On the subject of the GTO, I had a red 05 manual trans GTO. Fun car to drive, practical enough except for the slow seat motors and tiny trunk. Just incredible boring to look at, but sometimes that's handy too.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
I bought a 2013 ZL1 last year for quite a bit more, but it was a very low mileage car.

On the subject of the GTO, I had a red 05 manual trans GTO. Fun car to drive, practical enough except for the slow seat motors and tiny trunk. Just incredible boring to look at, but sometimes that's handy too.
Wouldn't doubt that it cost more, probably hard to find a Zl1 of any year less than 35. yeah I rode in a buddies GTO a few times, the interior was cool, fun to ride in, but yeah looking at was like watching paint dry. Certain angles it looked like it want to be cool, but move another direction a foot and it was totally ruined. G8 they did a great job on, GTO not so much.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
At 6'0" 195 ( I was 2 years ago) I have a very difficult time prying myself out of a Corvette or Camaro. But I did have bad knees and hip. Still, I'm getting up from the ground basically.... Who over the age of 50 is going to feel like doing that?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts