Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have paint issues like me clear coat flaking off for the 3rd time your on your own. Who cares car is not 3 years old yet per Dodge/Chrysler they cover paint issues such as that at 36,000 miles only. After that on you it on you . 1st car ever for me to have pair issues less then 3 years purcjaed NEW not USED. Was going to purchase a new one in few years pass this one on to one of kids. My next purchase will be Hyundai work with several people that own more then one and love it. All paint issues are covers till 100,000 and Powertrain is even 100,000. This is my last Dodge Charger, loved the car great color too but if they can’t eve stand behind a defect like this, why wast my money. Taken to a few dealers, talked with multiple reps at Dodge and Chrysler all I get is so sorry about it but not covered.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
What kind of stuff do you do to your paint? Do you have it detailed? Has it been cut and buffed? Paint correction?

What part of the country do you live in?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,558 Posts
Clear coat issues are not common. It sucks, but warranties have limits. If there were a known common issue, I'd hope it would be covered, but a one off issue out of warranty, no one wants to pick up that bill.

A Guy

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a 16 also. I also work as an electrician in one of their plants. I’ve had my fair share of complaints with my other vehicles. I feel your pain. I have 14000 miles on mine with no trips to the dealer yet. My warranty other than the power train will be up at the end of the year. I love the car way too much to pass it up over Jap scrap. They have their issues too. If it were me, I’d be taking to a reputable dealership/body shop and talk with them to see if they can help u out with the cost. This way it’s done with OEM paint. If it’s just a body panel like the hood, I’ve had a quote where I’m form for satin black on my hood for $400-500. I know it’s money u shouldn’t have to spend but at least it be done and with another warranty. Our dealership body shops give lifetime warranty on paint as long as you own the car.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The FCA body manual clearly states that only one finesse sand and buff is allowed on these cars before the car or panel must be repainted. The factory applied clear just isn't thick enough to maintain the needed UV protection if the clear coat is repeatedly corrected with abrasives (cutting and buffing).

Once the clear is below its minimum thickness, the pin has been pulled on the grenade, and the clear will fail. How quickly the clear will fail depends on your environmental conditions. Areas that get intense and prolonged sun will experience failure quicker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is hand washed never been buffed or detained anywhere. This is our 5th new car purchased over many years, have to say 1st one ever had my clear coats just flake off. Lived in same state all my life even my family never had paint issues ever like this. I could understand if this was 1st time. Problem started in my front bumper 2 times too separated places. My 1st time was after I purchased it not long after, was told never seen that happen before. Looked into other car warranty’s on line and talked with people I work with as well. So far it’s clear next car purchase will be Hyundia, Kia, Toyota or even Honda There power train and yes paint warranty pass Dodge by a lot. For me lesson learned got burned on my Nitro, roof rails 4 times, front drivers seat falling apart over and over. Plastic door handles replaced to many to count. Just like this one we will be stuck with it or pass it on to one of my kids to drive till it dies. No one will ever want to purchase it once car facts are pulled.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It is hand washed never been buffed or detained anywhere. This is our 5th new car purchased over many years, have to say 1st one ever had my clear coats just flake off. Lived in same state all my life even my family never had paint issues ever like this. I could understand if this was 1st time. Problem started in my front bumper 2 times too separated places. My 1st time was after I purchased it not long after, was told never seen that happen before. Looked into other car warranty’s on line and talked with people I work with as well. So far it’s clear next car purchase will be Hyundia, Kia, Toyota or even Honda There power train and yes paint warranty pass Dodge by a lot. For me lesson learned got burned on my Nitro, roof rails 4 times, front drivers seat falling apart over and over. Plastic door handles replaced to many to count. Just like this one we will be stuck with it or pass it on to one of my kids to drive till it dies. No one will ever want to purchase it once car facts are pulled.
Did you buy the car new? Sounds like the car had some poor quality paint repair work done. This can even happen if a new car is damaged on the lot and the dealer sends it out to a cut rate shop for repair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts