Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a used 2016 Challenger R/T which has an annoying (understatement) defect or feature, not sure which.

Most (all?) of the time[*], when I unlock the car using any of the electronic methods (passive entry, non-passive entry with FOB
button unlock) on either driver or passenger door, the trunk lid unlocks and pops open a bit. This does NOT seem to happen if I use
the physical emergency key.

I've seen many "my trunk lid pops open when..." type posts when using the search engines, but none matching this description exactly.
I don't see anything in the manual that indicates the lid should unlock just because I unlock the car. This is actually a horrible "feature",
and I didn't even notice the first time, unknowingly leaving an ajar trunk lid as I went into my house. So every time I unlock the car and get ready to roll, I first have to go close the trunk.

Is this a defect or known behavior? I'm fairly certain it is a defect, and my friend's older R/T does not do this (but, not the same year,
so can't be sure). Has anyone else seen or heard of this?

Things I've tried or other comments:
- I've replaced the FOB battery with a new one-- no change.
- I can't rule out the FOB as the car only came with one. I will be ordering a second one anyway, to see if that changes anything.
- I've searched the car and trunk for a possible hidden/missing FOB, and found none. I also tried to put the one FOB 80 feet away before closing trunk-- it closes and locks. If a FOB was hidden in the trunk, the manual states it would not lock.
- Since I haven't owned the car long, I cannot be certain that unlocking the car is the only way this happens-- will be watching for trunk lid ajar.
- I've tried every combination of Doors & Locking options in UConnect, with no change (i.e., passive entry off/on, unlock all doors on
first click, and so on).
- The trunk lid buttons in both the cabin and the lid itself seem to function properly (but I've only used them a couple of times total).

Anyone have any other trouble-shooting ideas? (resetting one or more "computers", UConnect tricks, anything).

Thanks for any ideas.

[*] Have not had the car long enough to be sure.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
It sounds like maybe the trunk switch is always active so when you unlock the car the trunk opens. Service manual mentions a diagnostic resistor 3kohm the body control module uses to determine the status of the release switch. Any further diagnosing is done via the dealer scan tool. You should still be under factory warranty so I would have the dealer check it.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
My trunk too!

Unfortunately after 14 months of documenting to get my tail light / turn signal error issue solved, now I am having trunk opening on its own problems. It started Dec 24th and happens whenever the doors are open with the passive entry. I turned off the passive entry and thought that was the problem but it has happened once since then. Every single day I have to check my trunk before driving, after driving, or whenever I walk past the vehicle. I heard there was a bulletin issued on this due to a defective passive entry switch on the truck lock itself. Can anyone verify this?
2016 SXT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts