Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, my local track is Fontana Californias AutoClub Dragway, the DA is AT BEST 1500 in the early morning. Typical conditions such as when I race are between 2000-3500 feet. The last time I raced it was 2400' DA and my car went 12.01 @ 116+ mph. My car has never been dynotuned. WHen it was stock it went 12.49 @ 110. 17x9 Weld wheels with hoosier 28x10 slicks were used every pass, both stock and modified. The modifications are Kooks long Tube 1 7/8 headers, Kooks catted midpipes, Borla ATAK exhaust, hellcat airbox with stock filter, 180 degree T-stat and a canned tune from a very well known tuner here on this forum. The A/F was 12.2-12.3 except when it got into the higher RPMs, it went to 12.8-12.9. I decided to take it to my local chassis dyno only to find that it only made 260 hp. I thought " How could that be?" 116+ in crappy air with a car that weighs 4400+ with me in it!!! What could the dyno operator have done to made the readings this low. The Dyno is a Dynojet and it was set on "uncorrected" hp setting. Any Dyno operators on here that may know what went wrong......or right??

·
Registered
724 Posts
Most test are done in the 1 to 1 ratio which is 6th gear in the A8. Some operators will run it in a lower gear to keep the top speed down on the dyno. Where did you get the dyno test done? If it was at ST motor sports Adam knows is business with his dynojet. Did the dyno guy say anything about the low reading? Fontana is 13 ft uphill so at Bakersfield you should run about .2 better.

1) 4.71:1
2) 3.14:1
3) 2.10:1
4) 1.67:1
5) 1.29:1
6) 1.00:1
7) 0.84:1
8) 0.67:1
Reverse) 3.30:1

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Uncorrected would pump those numbers up if it were less than 65 degrees and at sea level. If you are in a hot shop with 3000 DA and it's uncorrected, your HP is going to suck.

I mentioned it in another thread. Let some tuners see your dyno so they get confident and call you out. Put money on that race.

Seriously, I always dyno low. I have a friend with an M6 that has headers. At the same dyno on the same day, he dyno'd within 10 hp of me. At the same track, on the same day, my car was 1.8 seconds faster.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Did you smell the rear brakes cooking? You must fully disable the ABS /TC systems while on the dyno. I think I remember it being fuses 5 and 6 under the hood.

The low numbers are the result of the car applying the rear brakes on the dyno.

Fully turning off TC via the TC button will not get the job done. The fuses must be pulled.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just had my T/A 392 dyno'd within the last two weeks. 420.8 at the rear wheels corrected. That seemed to be in line with what Dodge claims to the rear wheels. I would suspect the uncorrected numbers is why it appears so low.

During the run they disables ESC / TC by holding the button in. K&J - do you think they may have wiped the rear brakes? I did not smell anything burning but did not know about removing fuses. The computer threw no codes during or after the run.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I just had my T/A 392 dyno'd within the last two weeks. 420.8 at the rear wheels corrected. That seemed to be in line with what Dodge claims to the rear wheels. I would suspect the uncorrected numbers is why it appears so low.

During the run they disables ESC / TC by holding the button in. K&J - do you think they may have wiped the rear brakes? I did not smell anything burning but did not know about removing fuses. The computer threw no codes during or after the run.
On my 2015, the only way to get my car to dyno properly was to pull the fuses. Completely disabling the TC via the button didn't work.

My car would only hit 280 rwhp or so and after a couple of tries, you could REALLY smell the rear brakes getting hot. They actually had smoke rolling off them.

One quick pull with the TC probably wouldn't get the brakes smoking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts