Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded my original speakers to a new infinity set, next step an amplifier, can you guys please send me some suggestions, I NEED SOMETHING SIMPLE BUT GOOD, Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm in the same boat, but I like the stock amp on the aftermarket speakers. I have all Infinity Reference speakers too. I've only replaced the front dash and door speakers so far and I find the volume and bass a big improvement. I have speakers for the rear, but I'm waiting to find an amp for my 8" kicker. This is my second Challenger and I hate taking apart the rear panels so I hope to do it only once.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just upgraded my original speakers to a new infinity set, next step an amplifier, can you guys please send me some suggestions, I NEED SOMETHING SIMPLE BUT GOOD, Thanks
Can you link to where you got your speakers? I have the base 6 speaker "Alpine" system and would like to upgrade them as well but I have no idea what to look for.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Can you link to where you got your speakers? I have the base 6 speaker "Alpine" system and would like to upgrade them as well but I have no idea what to look for.
I think everything I have is discontinued, but they have new 2016-17 versions available. I have the following:

Infinity Reference 9633cf 6x9
Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5
Infinity Reference 3022cfx 3 1/2

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
A guy, how about an amplifier for that set up ??
What type of setup are you trying to run? Like how many speakers do you want to amplify? That'll determine the amount of channels your amp will need. And are you planning on running a 8" sub?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What type of setup are you trying to run? Like how many speakers do you want to amplify? That'll determine the amount of channels your amp will need. And are you planning on running a 8" sub?

My car has the basic sound system, 6 speakers, im replacing the speakers with the infinity series and adding a 8" sub on the near future, wich amplifier do you recommend ??
thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have the basic 6 speaker system as well. Just replacing the basic speakers with the Infinity speakers should be more than enough. I believe the factory speakers are amplified by 268w Alpine amp. I have NOT added an amp to any of the speakers in either of my Challengers.

The only speaker that needs an amp is the subwoofer (if you decide to add one). My sub has 200 Watts rms. I'm​ still looking for an amp because I want a small compact version that I can hide under my seats or under the carpeting in the rear deck. I'll let you know when I find one.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I'm also looking for some upgrades,but what has me confused is that we have a 2ohm system and most all the speakers that I see are 4ohm.
I know that it will not hurt the system to run higher ohms, but my understanding is you lose power to the speakers compared to 2ohm.

I have very limited knowledge of electronics so any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very useful info in this thread, thanks Guy. Say I want to add those 6 speakers and throw a JLT stealthbox in the trunk, what kind of amp should I look for? I know next to nothing about car audio systems other than the base system in challengers is bad lol.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts
I'm no expert, lol. My only wish list is for the speaker upgrade. These other guys have experience, hopefully they'll help you (and maybe me in the future ;) )

A Guy

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is not a simple job!

This is something I have done, but on a 2011 Charger R/T. I'm assuming the Sound System on a Challenger is similar. First off, Dodge has a Digital Link between the radio head unit and amp so you can't just put in a new amp, unless you use a factory one and add a huge amount of new wiring because the wiring is way different between the low end 6 speaker system and the high end one with a factory Sub. At one time Dodge sold an upgrade sub with it's own amp and in those years there was wiring in place for the upgrade. This is no longer the case from the info I looked up. You need a box that takes the 2 ohm speaker outputs and converts them to line level. Then you need a signal processor to split up the signals and outputs them to the various amp inputs. In my case I replaced all the speakers with 4 ohm ones and added a 5 channel amp and sub box to the trunk. On my Charger radio, I lost the ability to adjust the L/R and F/R balance from my dash. It had to be done in the signal processor. It was expensive, and I had the Audio shop do the work to the tune of about $2400.00. In the end, I wound up with a nicer sounding system but not as good as the $1900.00 upgrade system Dodge sells in a new car. If you just replace the Factory speakers with high end 4 ohm ones you'll have about 1/2 the volume you had with the 2 ohm factory speakers. In the end, I removed everything and went back to stock when I was getting ready to sell the car. I would highly recommend anyone wanting to do something like this, go to a good Audio Shop and check out how they would do it. If you still want to proceed, I have all my old parts and would be glad to sell them to you at a very good price. I didn't answer this to sell my stuff, I just wanted you to know what a major job it is to upgrade a Dodge sound system. At the price I paid, I would not get involved in a job like this again.

Warren

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts
The Infinity reference speakers are 3ohm. I have read where the original speakers ohmed out to about 2.5 ohms. If so, then the improved quality of the speakers would likely negate the difference at worst. There have been several people on this forum who reported increased volume and clarity with the change. With no change to Head Unit or amp. Again, I am no expert, and no personal experience. A Guy

·
Registered
499 Posts
Speaking from experience, the Infinity speakers are all you'll need for volume and clarity. No need for an amp unless you're adding a dedicated subwoofer for extra bass.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Will new speakers really help the Alpine system? I can see the base system but to me the Alpine sounds pretty good. Of course if they will really help I can see some more points on my credit card in the near future.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I have the stock head unit that came in my 2010 R/T with the factory amp which I believe is 275 watts or thereabouts. What I'm reading and thinking maybe change out the six Boston factory speakers to the Infinity's, add a subwoofer with built in amp from Crutchfield and keep my factory head unit (I like it anyway but doesn't have hands free/blue tooth but there is a kit from Mopar to add that if I want it). I'm not looking for a ground shaking sound machine, just more bass, volume and clarity. Any help appreciated. I've heard that the Mopar subwoofer that fits in the trunk, left side is not all that great.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts
I have the stock head unit that came in my 2010 R/T with the factory amp which I believe is 275 watts or thereabouts. What I'm reading and thinking maybe change out the six Boston factory speakers to the Infinity's, add a subwoofer with built in amp from Crutchfield and keep my factory head unit (I like it anyway but doesn't have hands free/blue tooth but there is a kit from Mopar to add that if I want it). I'm not looking for a ground shaking sound machine, just more bass, volume and clarity. Any help appreciated. I've heard that the Mopar subwoofer that fits in the trunk, left side is not all that great.
You can integrate with the head unit and get RCA outputs for the Amp if needed

Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
With what I have in mind, is this going to make a big enough difference in sound, bass, clarity to justifly the money and time invested? Going to always have the car so whatever I do to it stays with it. Thanks1

1 - 20 of 45 Posts