Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a new 2016 SP for $38,000 out the door. It has Leather Group, it's an automatic, Harman Kardon 18 speakers, Tech Group, sunroof. The only reason I am semi hesitating is because it doesn't have Drive Group.

Question is.... (1) with no driver group there is no remote start, can I buy and install a remote starter that is going to be safe for this car? (2) How soon will I get used to the blind spots on this car? The couple test drives I have taken I feel it is going to be a tough transition from my Dodge Avenger.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have no issues with blind spots, I don't live in a place where I need to parallel park though. Asides from that, everything is easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I really like my blind spot detection. I'm not sure what is included in that package, but if you think you'll like it, you might want to look around a bit more. I've compromised on cars in the past, and been disappointed.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392
185 Posts
38K seems like a great price. The blind spots are a ***** though... would be tough without the blind spot detection.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would not buy a Challenger without blind spot detection. In my experience, it's essential equipment for this particular card due to the substantial blind spots. I had a rental Challenger for a week that didn't have it and it was a real hit-the-turn-signal-and-pray scenario.

When I was pricing my Challenger and looking for models on nearby lots, it wasn't hard to find ones with blind spot detection, but none of them ever seemed to have adaptive cruise control.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I really like my blind spot detection. I'm not sure what is included in that package, but if you think you'll like it, you might want to look around a bit more. I've compromised on cars in the past, and been disappointed.
Driver's Conveniece Grp:
*HIDs
*Blind spot / cross path detection
*Remote start (A8 only)
*Homelink system

The OP's Avenger wouldn't have this setup, the important thing is to set side view mirrors wide. I did this on the '09 (which didn't have that technology) and did fine. The DCG package is a nice feature though...

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
This is the first Challenger I've owned with the driver's convenience group. I like it, but mostly ordered it for the remote start in the winter.

In my other Challenger's, I got used to the blind spots. You need to adjust the side mirrors out a little more so you have to lean a little to see out of them. This way, the blind spot is pretty much eliminated. You will have a larger field of vision.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I love the blind spot detection. Once you are used to it, hard to go back to car without it.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I love the blind spot detection. Once you are used to it, hard to go back to car without it.
Yes it is. They should put in dc before tech. imo. Technology is a real luxury where driver conv. is almost necessary.
But never having it.....you will get used to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the blind spot detection but still check my blind spots. I would think remote start is easy enough to add; plus the aftermarket ones have much, much better range.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
The old Compustar ones had incredible range. The ones I've seen the last couple of years don't seem to have much range at all. The one I had installed on my 04 Ram last winter needs to be within about 30 feet, and pointed at the truck.

I'm thinking they have turned down the power on the newer remotes to get people to buy the more expensive phone controlled systems if they want good range.

I still look over my shoulders and use my mirrors, but I do like the blind spot and cross path detection. It works way better than I expected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After test driving a few, i decided i wanted the blind spot, just because the back right blind spot is large. And 38k is what i offered a few places, but those had <10k miles on them. Whats the mileage?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,782 Posts
I would have liked the blind spot, but didn't want it enough to pay for whole package. I haven't had any issues, but I have my mirrors set up well, and look over shoulders. I think where most get in trouble is wanting to change lanes quickly. Most drivers in general seem to think "change lane" before "stop before I hit the guy in front of me". By the time they realize they can't change lanes, it's too late to stop. In the Challenger, I guess they realize they can't change lanes when they hit the car in their blind spot. I think the blind spot should be a safety feature, and standard equipment. A Guy

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I don't have blind spot detection and don't have any problems. As others have said you just have to pay attention and drive/think ahead instead of changing lanes at last minute. Adjust your mirrors to give you best possible field of view. I sometimes think all these "drivers convenience features are making people rely on them too much and become lazy drivers.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Mirrors! I use my car's mirrors! They allow me to see if other cars are behind or beside me. I don't have the electronic blind spot detection and couldn't care less. I learned a long time ago that the side rear view mirrors simply need to be adjusted so you can see what's beside you and not to be able to see the entire side of your own car. It may take a few miles for some folks to get used to it but, once you do, you'll be able to drive without running over the car next to you.

But, that's just me.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Cars do not have blind spots. They wouldn't be on the road if they did, there is a reason Challenger mirrors stick out so far.

Most people have their side view mirrors set up to be additional rear view mirrors. Do you see any part of your car in your side mirrors? If you do, they are off.

An easy way to set them up is to lean to the left until your head rests against the glass and move the mirror so your car is just out of view. Do the same for the passenger side leaning over to the right about the same amount.

You will see cars in your rear and side view mirror at the same time, and in your side view and peripheral vision.

With my DCG I never see the light on when there isn't a clear view of the car. It definitely does not hurt, but i find it useless for me.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I don't have blind spot detection and don't have any problems. As others have said you just have to pay attention and drive/think ahead instead of changing lanes at last minute. Adjust your mirrors to give you best possible field of view. I sometimes think all these "drivers convenience features are making people rely on them too much and become lazy drivers.
I'm with you, though I don't "sometimes think", I am a believer ...
All these driver assists dodads are creating DUMB INCOMPETENT drivers, when they fail or they get into a vehicle without it they are a danger to everyone.

I am one of those that thinks skid pad training should be a required part of the licensing process. Every driver should hit a skid pad, not only is it fun, it's very educational and could very well save lives.
Two of the biggest things it teaches a driver, is not to over brake and KEEP DRIVING until you come to a complete stop or are back in control.

Just a few months ago I was setting at Wal-mart waiting for my ol'lady, when this big blonde in a lifted Mall Crawler Tahoe (why?) backed into a parking spot, NOT ONE TIME did she look back, her eyes were focused on the backup camera on the dash, she hit the car next to her and didn't even know it until it stopped her motion AFTER she gassed it up harder and pushed the car over ... Then when she realized she just caved in the side of a car, she took off!

I called 911, passed the license number on to the officer and signed a report of what I just watched! She deserved it ...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392
185 Posts
Some people are just bad drivers no matter the cars technology. My SRT is the first car I’ve had with the backup cam and blind spot detection.. coming from an 05 Yukon Denali.. and I absolutely love the tech.

Now every time I drive my wife’s 2014 Jeep I have to remind myself that the side view mirror aren’t going to light up for me…

I didn’t get my SRT with the adaptive cruise however… as I did not want, nor would I use that.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The cross path detection is pretty neat, backing out of a spot where you really don't have the vision, it spots cars coming down the street. Scared the S out of me the first time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts