Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, thought I would start a thread on the 2016 Scat Pack that I am going to rebuild. I have restored several old Mopars and a few motorcycles over the last 35 years. I have fallen in love with the new Mopar muscle and decided to restore a late model one. After 7 months of looking, I finally got the car I was looking for. I bought a salvage 2016 Plum Crazy Purple Scat Pack, 11K miles, leather, sun roof, heated and cooled seats and the best thing of all a 6 speed manual! I thought I would document the rebuilt and share it with you. My goal is to have it finished by December, here are some pics of it so far. Hope you enjoy it. Scott.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T - Billet Silver
46 Posts
Good luck with the build! I'm assuming you have experience fixing damage like this? I assume better the rear end was hit vs the front.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it looks bad but it is all cosmetic. Cut the damaged parts off and put the good ones back on. I will detail everything I am going to do so you can see the process.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yes, it looks bad but it is all cosmetic. Cut the damaged parts off and put the good ones back on. I will detail everything I am going to do so you can see the process.
Cosmetic? That's mostly structural damage, that's why it's a salvage car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no structural damage, it is a salvage because it would have cost the Insurance company to much to fix it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I can say is follow the post and wait to comment on what I am doing until after you see how we do it. When I am done with it you would never be able to tell it was wrecked.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
774 Posts
I'm a professional collision tech. That is nearly all structural damage.
Don't mean to hijack the thread. You seem to know a lot about body work on these cars. Does $1500 per side sound right for rust repair on rear quarters? It's the typical rust at the rockers these cars are plagued with. Quote is from a Mopar certified shop

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread. You seem to know a lot about body work on these cars. Does $1500 per side sound right for rust repair on rear quarters? It's the typical rust at the rockers these cars are plagued with. Quote is from a Mopar certified shop
The only FCA approved repair is component replacement at authorized sectioning points and/or full component replacement if no sectioning point is authorized by the repair manual.

An FCA certified shop would replace the 1/4 and rocker.

But that's beside the point...

Let's say we are doing old school, cutting out the rust, welding in patches and repainting. $1,500 is very reasonable and suspiciously low.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
699 Posts
Only skimmed the document but clearly highlighted repair methods necessary to retain safety aspects of the design which could be compromised using old school repair methods. Also explains why vehicles that don't appear to be heavily damaged are totaled by insurance companies. Thought I smelled a little CYA and marketing in the document as well. Thanks for sharing, will read completely when time allows.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
699 Posts
All I can say is follow the post and wait to comment on what I am doing until after you see how we do it. When I am done with it you would never be able to tell it was wrecked.
Looking forward to following the thread.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,376 Posts
That trunk hit looks severe, but it is kind of high, and maybe the inner structure did survive, but if it was me (and it never would be, I could never commit to that) I would be getting a donor car!
Either way, right car in the right color, good luck!

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
123 Posts
Good luck, will be looking forward to the updates and progress.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
699 Posts
I already have a donor car that has a good rear. I can't believe all the pessimism here, it wouldn't be fun if it wasn't a challenge.
After viewing DIY gang rebuild the burned Hellcat your project looks like a piece of cake;). Looking at picture taken from behind the car it appears battery & electricals are intact. How badly damaged is the trunk floor? Strange hit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi Rob, all the electronics are intact. I am going to replace the trunk floor, it could be saved but I want it to be perfect when I am done with it. I have the last owners number,I am going to try to call him and see if I can find out what happened. It is a high hit. I have a donor car so anything that is damaged at all is getting replaced. It will be time consuming, but car now days are like jigsaw puzzle. I am hoping to able to get it on the frame rack in about 3 weeks, then the fun begins.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts