Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to be looking at a couple different new cars and will be taking my Scatpack in to see how bad they beat me up on trade in value. care to take a guess as to what they will offer?

2016 Scatpack, bright white, A8, sunroof, technology group, leather interior group, driver convenience group. Uconnect 8.4 NAV, hyper black II forged wheels and 3 season tires.

car is in showroom perfect condition with 3200 miles on it. i'm guessing I will be lucky if they offer $35000

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
It depends on what you’re buying and how they can play the numbers game. They created the game and always works in their favor.
Remember the golden rule “whoever has the gold, makes the rules”.

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
going to be looking at a couple different new cars and will be taking my Scatpack in to see how bad they beat me up on trade in value. care to take a guess as to what they will offer?

2016 Scatpack, bright white, A8, sunroof, technology group, leather interior group, driver convenience group. Uconnect 8.4 NAV, hyper black II forged wheels and 3 season tires.

car is in showroom perfect condition with 3200 miles on it. i'm guessing I will be lucky if they offer $35000

33/35 prolly close on a trade now....what you getting next? and good luck.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
950 Posts
Negotiate the price on what you are buying before you say anything about a trade-in.

Better yet, sell it and don?t trade it.

If they ask say NO.

You can always change your mind later.

$28000 in real money.

Reactions: Klink

·
Registered
303 Posts
You shouldn't be surprised. Of course the dealer wants to sell you a car, but the last thing they probably want is to have to add another (almost) 2 year old Challenger to their inventory. They are kindly telling you they are not really interested in your trade in. It is ALWAYS better to sell it yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Get the best price you can on the car you want then spring the trade on them. Then all will be revealed. You may be surprised. If you can go on the 31st or close. YES what are you wanting and why are you wanting out of the Scat?
It is very nicely equipped. Similar to mine. I have 3300 miles. VERY HAPPY! Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im not in the car business but I am in the heavy construction equipment business, When you spring the trade on at the end of the discussion, you are being set up to have your heart broken. The best discussion is when I tell the customer how I will trade, like "You can get this new dozer for your excavator and $22000." I can give you what you want for yours but we will have to get more for ours. You can wait and sell your excavator on your own but its going to take a while and you have to deal with people coming to your house and beating you up. I take that burden off of you and that is worth some money. We also have to run it through the shop to make sure it is in great operating condition and fix anything that might need attention.

·
Registered
602 Posts
From what I have found, KBB is between $32,000-34,700 on trade-in value.

You might want to wait until next spring/summer to sell/trade it in.

What are you looking to trade it in on?

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
950 Posts
When you trade in a car, the dealer obviously wants to make money selling that trade. Either at auction or to another consumer. In order to make money, they have to get the car from you for less than someone is willing to pay for it. Why would a dealer take your trade for retail value? That would be very dumb. They have cost associated with taking your trade and then holding it until it is sold and then they have overhead. They?d be better off buying a different car that they CAN make money off of.

If you sell the car directly, you get that money (profit) instead of the dealer.

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
When you sell your car privately you forfeit the sales tax savings since you now have to pay tax on the entire sales price of the new car. In this situation you’re potentially
walking away from $2000 or more.
You never win in the car game, at best you come out ok.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
When you sell your car privately you forfeit the sales tax savings since you now have to pay tax on the entire sales price of the new car. In this situation you’re potentially
walking away from $2000 or more.
You never win in the car game, at best you come out ok.
Heaterman is in Oregon - no sales tax.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
950 Posts
Not true in Missouri either.

You can file the same forms the dealership does and save on the sales tax.

http://dor.mo.gov/forms/426.pdf

I would bet this is the case for most states, but don?t expect the dealer to volunteer this info.

I took my 02 Dakota to see what trade value would be after negotiating on a Scat. They said $1500.

I sold the Dakota in one day after listing on autotrader, cargurus, and facebook market for $4000 cash. Listed it for $4750 and had tons of interested parties, but as they say, a bird in the hand... the guy that bought it did not even test drive it.

I am filing the form linked above and should get back a little over $300.

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
Not true in Missouri either.

You can file the same forms the dealership does and save on the sales tax.

http://dor.mo.gov/forms/426.pdf

I would bet this is the case for most states, but don?t expect the dealer to volunteer this info.

I took my 02 Dakota to see what trade value would be after negotiating on a Scat. They said $1500.

I sold the Dakota in one day after listing on autotrader, cargurus, and facebook market for $4000 cash. Listed it for $4750 and had tons of interested parties, but as they say, a bird in the hand... the guy that bought it did not even test drive it.

I am filing the form linked above and should get back a little over $300.
I learned something else in this, in NJ I’ve never heard of the form but would make sense so one loses money but doubt the state wants to lose out on getting any money left out there but I will now call and inquire.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,782 Posts
In California, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana or Washington, D.C., you'll pay sales tax on the full price of the new vehicle, regardless of your trade-in allowance.

A Guy

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Stop making sense Hal, lol. I was on a roll.
OK, for others with sales tax in their state it applies.
Agree, we get the sales break in La too and I never sell as it is too unpredictable and a major pita, I always trade and with the tax credit it's about the same anyway.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have never had any problem selling a car by myself. I maintain my cars well, wash them frequently, and they are garaged. When someone comes to look at one of them, it is usually sold that day. A buyer can see when a car is well-cared for. My point? Dealers don't care, they are going to low-ball you no matter how "cherry" your car is, the trick for them is to have you walk away "feeling good" about your transaction.

I have a very good friend who trades in his brand new vehicle every two years. No kidding. He has been doing this for at least the last 10 years. He always talks about what a "great" deal he got.....I actually feel sorry for him.

We live in a world of convenience. If you want convenience, by all means, trade in. You will pay handsomely for it. If you want to get as much money as possible out of your well-maintained car, sell it yourself.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Negotiate the price of the car you want. After that, have them appraise your car. Then if there is a Carmax around, take it there to see what they will offer. We pay sales tax in TX so the Carmax price has to be greater than the tax advantage. I know you have no sales tax there but I used this as an example of what I have done in the past. Carmax won two out of 4 trades for me versus what the dealer offered.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Dealers give over allowances on trades all the time. The used car market from what I understand isn't good right now with all the cars coming off leases. I'm guessing it improved somewhat with the need for replacement vehicles in Texas and Florida. I trade in cars due to the sales tax savings and my lack of patience for tire kickers. I probably could squeeze out a little more money selling it myself, but it's not worth the hassle. The car business is competitive just as dealers will compete on price they will compete on trade values as well. They will always need to make a profit though.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts