Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - new member here. Purchased a leftover '16 with the 9 speaker Alpine Sound Group II package a couple weeks ago. The stereo is not nearly as loud as I expected it to be. I have the 9 speaker Alpine system in my Ram 1500, and previously had it in a Grand Cherokee, and in both cases, they were much louder, and cleaner. In order to get any (what I would consider) significant volume, I have to have the radio at volume 30. Doing so then results in low frequency distortion from the driver's door speaker.

Tonight, I adjusted the fader all the way forward and to each side individually and listened to each door speaker up close and found them to be extremely quiet, and very muddy... they were really just background filler (at best). Is this what I should be expecting out of these speakers, or is there likely something wrong here? Like I said, I do not have the same experience in any of the other 9 speaker Alpine equipped Chrysler cars that I have or have had, so I'm at a bit of a loss here.

I have also noticed that bluetooth telephone conversations are very quiet. Even at max volume, I struggle to hear the person on the other end of the phone. I assume that the front speakers (door and dash) are used for telephone conversations, though I'm not certain. Is this another symptom, or also typical of this system in these cars (again, didn't happen in the JGC, or Ram).

Before I go investing in new speakers, I'd like to make sure that the amp and wiring are in good working order. But, I also don't want to look like an idiot at the dealership when I tell them that my heavy metal isn't loud enough.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
the uConnect voice prompts and phone run through the drivers' side dash speaker.

The front and center speakers and mainly highs and some mids, bass is filtered out (these are 3.5" speakers)

The doors are 6"x 9" and mainly for bass, the highs are filtered out.

I had the Boston Acoustics SGII (368w) system in my '09 and it seemed louder, but the '16 Alpine SGII has more imaging over my '09s setup was.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is good info. Thank you. I just did a side by side comparison with the ram, and learned that the 6x9 in the door of the ram is also muddy, but not nearly as much as in the challenger.

Using talk radio as an example, voices came across clear enough, and significantly louder in the ram. In the challenger, the voices were nearly unintelligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
There were some comments on other threads about the system needed an updated chip flash due to sound issues. Is this one of those units?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There were some comments on other threads about the system needed an updated chip flash due to sound issues. Is this one of those units?

Good question. The radio is RA4 8.4AN running version 15.30.2. I'll try to do some more searching here.

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
that's for the Performance Audio (HK audio / 900w, 18 speaker) system - there were numerous flashes and the most up to date came along in 2016.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did a factory default reset in the engineering menu and it definitely improved. Dave Matthews sounds good, heavy metal is still a bit harsh and the 6x9s definitely don't like a good bass hit.

It's still strange to me that the same system in the Ram sounds so much better.

I guess it's time to go speaker shopping. Anybody running Hybrid Audio Unity or Imagines with the factory amp?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Back when I had the Alpine style system in my 2013, some JBL 328 GTO's in the dash made it much better with the added tweeter on the speakers. The stock speakers were just single cone speakers making it sound, well, like single cone speakers.

I guess the current version of those are these:

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO329-Premium-3-5-Inch-Co-Axial/dp/B00881CRS6

These are 3 ohm, and I believe the 328's were 2 ohm, but maybe they will be close enough.

Note that if you get the Crutchfield Mazda wiring adapters to have a plug-play install, you need to swap the pins in the adapters to keep the speakers in the proper phase

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the SGII is junk. One of my 6x9s sounded blown in the first month or so of owning the car. I've replaced every speaker with JBLs and the subwoofer with a Pioneer. Better but still not that loud and the sub being mounted in the rear deck just makes for some awful rattling noises.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The "Alpine" system in our cars is a joke. I ripped them out and put Infinity's after only a month of driving my 16 SP. I just have the 6 speaker system but I'm sure you 9 speakers of the same junk. Open a panel up and take a look. They are paper. They don't even say Alpine on them. They have the pentastar logo. They are soooooo bad. Anyway, I think you can replace them with any aftermarket speaker and they will much better. I went with Infinity because of the price. 6 speakers for 250 is hard to beat. Sounds much better now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealership ordered a door speaker for it. It's not right. We'll see how it is with the replacement.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've e had both. The HK in my 2010 SRT nod then the Alpine in my 2016 Scat and back to the HK in my new Hellcat. All 3 were and are just ok. Maybe I need to spen more time playing with it. The bass really breaks up with any volume. And I'm a rocker. I like my Metal. Honestly my Deleon/Bose system in my STS 10 years ago sounded better at a loud volume then my HK. Like I said.. Maybe I just have to play with it some more.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have also noticed that bluetooth telephone conversations are very quiet. Even at max volume, I struggle to hear the person on the other end of the phone.
this is what i'm basing my assumption on here, so try not to assume i'm calling you dumb... i just wanted to state the obvious since it took me a little while to figure out the same problem on my car which is the same year and sound system...

so...

is the volume on your phone turned up?

because with my phone turned up all the way, i get good enough sound for my comfort at around "9" on the dial, and around 12 or 13 or so i have a harder time using the clutch because i can barely hear the engine, and around 18-20 is what i would call "cranked up" and that's when i get the driver's door rattle.

the idea of going all the way to thirty... just seems gratuitous noise than loud music.

now i will say the bass is weak and i'm adding a 10 inch bazooka in the trunk to compensate. but the stock soundsystem for my SG2 16 scat pack was not lacking volume to my ears at all. it's nothing compared to the H/K premium system, but it's still one of the better non-premium sound systems i've heard from a factory car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this is what i'm basing my assumption on here, so try not to assume i'm calling you dumb... i just wanted to state the obvious since it took me a little while to figure out the same problem on my car which is the same year and sound system...

so...

is the volume on your phone turned up?

because with my phone turned up all the way, i get good enough sound for my comfort at around "9" on the dial, and around 12 or 13 or so i have a harder time using the clutch because i can barely hear the engine, and around 18-20 is what i would call "cranked up" and that's when i get the driver's door rattle.

the idea of going all the way to thirty... just seems gratuitous noise than loud music.

now i will say the bass is weak and i'm adding a 10 inch bazooka in the trunk to compensate. but the stock soundsystem for my SG2 16 scat pack was not lacking volume to my ears at all. it's nothing compared to the H/K premium system, but it's still one of the better non-premium sound systems i've heard from a factory car.
:D No offense taken. Phone is all the way up. In my JGC or Ram I listen to it comfortably between 12-16, depending on the song. At 20, it's loud... and 26 is basically my cap when I really want to jam out..

In the Challenger (all three vehicles have 9 speaker Alpine), 20 becomes the bottom, 30 is moderate at best (still hear motor over the radio), and fully maxed at 36 sounds like crap, and isn't really much louder.

The dealership replaced the driver's door speaker yesterday, and while the low frequency distortion is reduced, the volume hasn't changed at all.

I don't mind investing in speakers, but I don't want to hook them up to a bum amp. Of course, I don't know the best way to test the amp without new speakers...

·
Registered
489 Posts
fully maxed at 36 sounds like crap, and isn't really much louder.
agreed. the only times i've gone that high is when i'm playing something that embarrasses my kids and i want to roll down the windows and make it as loud and as terrible as possible.

otherwise anything past around 25... jsut starts to sound worse, not really louder. just worse.

anyway, best of luck with your issue. i just wanted to make sure the obvious stuff wasn't forgotten.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just did a factory default reset in the engineering menu and it definitely improved. Dave Matthews sounds good, heavy metal is still a bit harsh and the 6x9s definitely don't like a good bass hit.

It's still strange to me that the same system in the Ram sounds so much better.

I guess it's time to go speaker shopping. Anybody running Hybrid Audio Unity or Imagines with the factory amp?

I wonder how much it has to do with the 'box' these speakers are in...I.e. the cabin of the vehicle. My durango has the base stereo with 8.4 and sounds great. Bass is just plain nuts but overall it sounds wayyyy better than my SGII in my Challenger, which I think is better on paper, not sure though. I kind of checked it off as the durango is made a lot better in terms of NVH and the seals. I've added a powered sub in my challenger and it still doesn't hit like the 'no sub' in my durango

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
My 2015 SRT has the 9 speaker system, and it can get plenty loud. After replacing the speakers, and adding a sub/amp, it sounds much better. Something must be wrong with your system/amp.

·
Registered
489 Posts
another question of the obvious...
does the amp have it's own power and fuse separate from the HU? has that been checked?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts