Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got my 2016 the day before Thanksgiving and it's been parked since then for the winter. I finally got it out today and I loved driving it again, but I was reminded of the whirring noise which seems to be coming from the rear of the car. I read something about it briefly months ago but don't remember what it was. Any info would be great. Thanks.- Mike

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
This has been an ongoing issue with Challengers for years. The whining that you hear, especially from 35 to 65 mph, is the rear differential. It is most common in the http://i.viglink.com/?key=4b6f1f2fd...e | SRT Hellcat Forum&txt=<span>manual</span> 6-speed manual.

If it bothers you too much, you can try switching out the rear-end gear oil with RP 75W-140 Synthetic Gear Oil or Wolf's Head 85W-140 Gear Oil.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Its under warranty. Take it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Dealer will tell you it's normal.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,862 Posts
Dealer will tell you it's normal.
I took mine in a couple of months after buying it and the dealership did nada about it. Since then I installed a SC so my warranty is long gone. Some have had it replaced, only to return if they experienced wheel hop. Mine has been whining the same since I bought it, even after some severe wheel hop. Higher viscosity rear diff oil helped...so did louder exhaust. :grin2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts