Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently got an SXT with 20K miles on it. I drove it from MA to IL with no problem while it gave me 26 mpg! recently it shows me a crazy number of 14 I am a bit worried if anything went wrong in the engine!
I barely use it for long distances (like never on the highway). Just get behind the wheel for having fun (I recently did some burnouts and donuts, not too much though). Living in a small town called Champaign, IL. Weather is crazy cold and freezing and I do not have a roofed parking spot.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
If all you do now is stop and go driving, and having a little fun with it, you would definitely get below the 19 MPG it was rated at for city driving. If it is running well otherwise, I wouldn't be concerned. Another mileage killer is the remote start. If you use that, then this situation is believable.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,208 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey. You're not gonna get great mpg doing burnouts, donuts and a lot of city stop and go driving. Longer distance driving in 8th gear is gonna get you a lot better mileage . If the car is driving well and you're not getting any codes I don't think you have anything wrong with your engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If all you do now is stop and go driving, and having a little fun with it, you would definitely get below the 19 MPG it was rated at for city driving. If it is running well otherwise, I wouldn't be concerned. Another mileage killer is the remote start. If you use that, then this situation is believable.
Thanks for the reply!
I’m not using remote start. You’re definitely correct, but I was wondering does a little fun makes it drop to 14? It seems to be very off from 19!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from New Jersey. You're not gonna get great mpg doing burnouts, donuts and a lot of city stop and go driving. Longer distance driving in 8th gear is gonna get you a lot better mileage . If the car is driving well and you're not getting any codes I don't think you have anything wrong with your engine.
Thanks a lot!
Yeah the car goes well and roars like a brand new one!
I was a bit concerned that “14” might be kind of strange, regardless of how you drive with it. I mean mpg is dropped by 25%!

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
OK, did you reset the MPG calculator? If you don't have many miles since the reset, that would explain the low MPG too.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,208 Posts
I believe manufacturers mpg are best case scenarios and average results. Yours will vary depending on your own driving experiences. And like previous poster said, reset your mpg calculator and see what results you get.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Longer distance driving in 8th gear is gonna get you a lot better mileage . If the car is driving well and you're not getting any codes I don't think you have anything wrong with your engine.
This. Whenever I wonder about my MPG, I reset it. And do a hwy drive in 8th gear. If I can avg 28MPG (or so) according to the car, I'm good. It does not matter the distance driven. The MPG will go up and down and eventually settle on a spot. That's my benchmark test.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,587 Posts
I do most driving surface streets and get 18-19 mpg. Just recently did a weekday trip around 170 miles round trip. 1st time I did a trip with very little stop and go traffic. I got 27.6 mpg. So the potential is there. Have never done a trip where I got on the freeway and just drove the whole way without some form of stop and go...Bay Area, lots of cars, lol

A Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot!
Yeah the car goes well and roars like a brand new one!
I was a bit concerned that “14” might be kind of strange, regardless of how you drive with it. I mean mpg is dropped by 25%
This. Whenever I wonder about my MPG, I reset it. And do a hwy drive in 8th gear. If I can avg 28MPG (or so) according to the car, I'm good. It does not matter the distance driven. The MPG will go up and down and eventually settle on a spot. That's my benchmark test.
Great idea! Thanks

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,738 Posts
My supercharged RT shows 13-14mpg with spirited, all city driving. I would think a stock SXT would fair better even with some horsepower play?

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,371 Posts
I get 14 or less stuck in traffic, 15.5 in the city but moving stop and go. And deep into the 20s when moving.
Remember the gas pedal USES gas, the brake pedal WASTES gas. But 14 stuck in heavy traffic, sure, takes a good bit to get it moving every time you stop.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
201 Posts
My 5.7 will get about 26mpg if I’m strictly on the highway and about 15 ish if I’m strictly on surface streets. Combined I average about 19-20.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,371 Posts
My 5.7 will get about 26mpg if I’m strictly on the highway and about 15 ish if I’m strictly on surface streets. Combined I average about 19-20.
Funny thing is, I never get 19-20. It is aways 17 or less, or 22 or higher. I never seem to have that "normal" mix of driving.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,738 Posts
Man, I get ~12 mpg in my 2002 3.7 liberty and that is 100% city driving on the cheapest gas I can find (going to premium does not help as the CR is 9:1). What fuel grade are you running?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
201 Posts
Funny thing is, I never get 19-20. It is aways 17 or less, or 22 or higher. I never seem to have that "normal" mix of driving.
I have a funky work schedule where I’m off for about 3-4 days and then working for 3-4 days. On the days I don’t work, I only drive surface streets and my mileage starts to drop significantly. On the days I do work, my commute is about 38 miles highway, one way, and my mileage goes up significantly. It’s never stagnant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts