Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
McKPaul, thanks. I actually have my install done. Ended up using some Alpine SPR-10TW tweeters where the side rear 3" speakers are. Used the same wiring harness you did to add center, tweeter and sub lines (that made it easy, thanks for that). Changed all the speakers to Infinity's, except the subwoofer. Bought an Infinity but it would not fit without some cutting, so I just went with the factory one. The 506w amp is in as well.

The issue is; the front left and right dash speakers don't work. Center works, sub works, new tweeters work. Hooked up the small amp again with and without the added wiring harness to check the lines and speakers - works fine both ways. So either the new amp has the front L/R channels out, or the codes have to be jimmy'd with. I'm not sure the codes can be added by the dealer, since SGII isn't offered on SRT (again, WTF) so I was looking at the AlfaOBD. I just haven't seen clear guidance on what/how/if it can be used with 2019s. I'm open to ideas, since I'm left to running just the center up front or going back to 6 speaker and wasting the 4 speakers I added.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I can't say if AlfsOBD works the same on the 2019 models, but I made an incorrect comment earlier. (I had been on the computer for a while posting all that as well as the night before, was getting the eye from 'the boss' since she thought I was going to be stuck on the computer again for the evening, so was rushing at the end)

So when I first put the amp in, all the speakers worked, even the center. I got a small funnel and a piece of vacuum hose, stuck the hose in my ear and cupped the funnel over each front speaker to make sure I was hearing it correctly. But after the re-flash for remote start and amp software update at the dealer, it wasn't 6 speakers working on the way home as I mentioned. When I got out the next day to figure it out, it was actually doing exactly what yours is doing, in the dash, only the center speaker was playing (verified with the funnel & hose), then both doors were playing as usual, and the rear deck speakers too, and the sub seemed fine. The new rear seat speakers were playing, but not as loud as they were originally. I can't say if it was the configuration re-flash for adding remote start or the amp software update that changed it. I went to a dealer in Wharton, about an hour south of Houston, not a high volume dealer like the ones around here...one service writer, smaller town laid back feel...they had an issue with the remote start at first and let me go back and talk and hang out with the tech while he figured it out and finished up (wouldn't get to do that here at a big dealer) Anyway, even though I was back there watching, I didn't get to check how things changed between processes, so don't know what made the change in the amp behavior.

Anyway, the next day, with speakers still not all playing, I connected with AlfaOBD and looked around. Up to that point I'd never changed anything with Alfa, just looked around. That in itself turned into a small issue. I had downloaded AlfaOBD to my tablet from Google Play and bought the recommenced OBDLink MX bluetooth adapter and I could log on, but when I went to Cabin EQ Curve, instead of getting a pull down menu of speaker configurations to choose from like I had seen pictures of online, it was giving me a field to type a number into. That's when I started asking Jimmy07 questions about it. Long story short, I did a couple of things, loaded an older version of Alfa that still had the drop down, and also emailed the developer at Alfa, and he also fixed the issue on the new version I had downloaded, but in the end, when I went to the ECU Configuration 3 and went to Cabin Equalization Curve, it gave me the pull down menu to select from like it was supposed to. As soon as I selected "Premium 2 for Challenger (Alpine 12ch) (LA)" from that list as the setting (did it while I was listening to music) all the speakers immediately started playing again. Before changing it, the setting was "Premium 1 for Challenger (Alpine 8ch) (LA)". Selecting the Premium 2 (basically sound group 2) setting for the setting in the body control module tells the amp to use all the channels (assuming the amp installed is the 506 amp like ours with all the channels).

I knew all my channels worked on the amp since they all worked at first, and I was afraid that the software update I had them download from the TSB may have permanently reconfigured the amp to match the six speaker system associated with my VIN, so I can't tell you how happy I was when changing that one setting with Alfa brought things back to life.

Even though the sales codes can't be changed, I don't know why they don't have a way for the dealer to change that one EQ curve setting in the BCM and make it permanent. I don't really like making changes with aftermarket software that are prone to be written over with a dealer re-flash, but it was the only way to make it work. But, I did make one more change, the setting for rolling down your windows with the keyfob is still in the software even though they don't activate it anymore, supposedly they had too many complaints of people accidentally running the windows down from keyfob buttons getting pressed in your pocket. I checked that box and turned that on. If it becomes a problem, I can always go turn it back off.

AlfaOBD is really cool and powerful. I mentioned the issues with the speaker selection drop down because if you buy it, that's specifically what you need to go find. After emailing they guy at Alfa, he fixed it and sent me a fixed release of the program, but I don't know if he also fixed the version that you download from Google Play.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
About factory reset on the Uconnect....As I mentioned, I did that yesterday. Of course all the settings I had changed went back to what they were, like how long the accessory power stays on after the engine is turned off, the night time default dash brightness, auto audio level setting for more road noise while driving etc, and the radio presets, but just so you now when you do a factory reset, it doesn't default back to old software. I recently did a software version update that I found on the Uconnect site with a USB thumb drive to the latest version, and after the factory default reset, it's still at the same current software version that I loaded a couple of weeks ago.

However, I looked at the Cabin EQ setting again this morning and it didn't stay at 22, it's now back to 223 like it was originally before I started changing anything on the sound system. The sound is still great in the car, so I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
No luck finding the Engineering Menu, I was hoping something in there would work before hemorrhaging out more cash for the AlfaOBD and adapter. The best I could do was open the Dealer Menu, and see the EQ setting is 3.4.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yeah they change access to that Engineering Menu as things evolve, you're 3 years newer than me. Those Uconnect heads evolve quickly. I get to the dealer menu on mine by pressing 3 buttons, temp up and down and I think rear defrost, but there are only three items there, but EQ isn't there on mine at all. I think that Engineering Menu for the most part is a view only menu, I didn't see anything I could change from that menu, but then I didn't open every line. That's one of the things that was frustrating for me, I could see the Cabin EQ was 223, which I assumed was for Sound Group 1, and figured there was a different number that needed to be there for Sound Group 2, but couldn't find anywhere any kind of cross over or table that indicated what number was associated with what sound group, and even if I could have found it, I couldn't have changed it. I also found some info that said that if the Cabin Equalization Curve number value from the Body Control Module (BCM) is not the same as the Cabin Equalization Curve number stored in the Radio for 10 consecutive cycles, then the Radio will set this DTC when the concern is present for greater than 10 seconds. That gave me a little concern, but it never threw a code that lit the service engine soon light. I've found with AlfaOBD you can use it like a regular code reader much like the little hand held ones, but with more info, and have noticed not all codes light the service engine soon light. Apparently the car generates codes for a lot of things unseen or unnoticed by us and not displayed on a basic OBD2 reader, but the dealer can see them if they connect. For example, while I was doing all this I had the cover pulled from under the speakers in the trunk that happened to have the trunk light in it. I had it disconnected and the cover thrown in the garage, as well as the cover from under the dash that has a couple of small LED lights in it. Reading codes with Alfa there were a couple of codes there but no service engine light, and when I clicked on them to see what they were, they were just codes saying the trunk light and under dash lights were missing. I looked again after I had everything back together, and they were gone.

AlfaOBD was $49 plus tax and the OBDLink MX was $64.90 after tax and shipping from Amazon. It'll do a lot, but really more beneficial to the guys that want to make a lot of changes. A lot of guys change how their daytime running lights work, or change the fog lights to stay on with high beams on, which won't pass inspection here. You can also change things that will screw up your car, but pretty hard to do by accident, it takes a couple of steps to change things and makes you select yes or no to officially make changes. Wouldn't matter for a newer model like yours, but you can also change the bulb settings to LED, like for fogs, so if you change to LED bulbs it won't generate a error message because it sees a higher resistance on the circuit and think the bulb is out. It does a lot of stuff I'll never use and ultimately cost me $115 for one setting. But in the long run, if I have car problems in the future, it may come in handy diagnosing something at home and possibly save a trip to the dealer for a repair.

But I don't know what year models it's compatible with, it may not work on the latest vehicles. It's one of those things that may lag a year or so behind until the developer gets the info on the newest cars updated.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
817 Posts
Additionally....AlfaOBD isn’t VIN locked to a single vehicle, either.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Hey Greg, thinking about your amp location, Scottie's car is a 2019 and he upgraded his amp, used the same cable adapter etc. He didn't mention anything about the amp being in a different location on his vehicle, and I'm guessing if you have Sound Group 2 on your 2018 that the amp is in the same place. Not sure what you may have heard in the back seat. The amps I've been playing with from under the dash don't have fans. If you had the big sub in the trunk where the spare tire is supposed to be, those amps may have fans, don't know though. But I thought I remember you saying you had Sound Group 2.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
My '17 Scat had SGII and the amp was under the dash; same as my '12 and current '19. There are some modules on the back shelf that I noticed when I had the panels off to add the sub. No clue what they are, but they are not audio related. One of them was the reason I used the stock sub, as the larger mounting flange on aftermarket subs would hit something.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
That module in the middle of the shelf is the RF module. All the tire pressure sensors report to it and I think it's used for the keyfobs for locks. It's definitely used for remote start as GSBrockman and I have both changed them out for the remote start add. That's the module that has to be programmed at the dealer. Also, when you add remote start, the new replacement RF module comes with a separate antenna box that mounts a few inches over from the RF module with a cable in between.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
817 Posts
Hey Greg, thinking about your amp location, Scottie's car is a 2019 and he upgraded his amp, used the same cable adapter etc. He didn't mention anything about the amp being in a different location on his vehicle, and I'm guessing if you have Sound Group 2 on your 2018 that the amp is in the same place. Not sure what you may have heard in the back seat. The amps I've been playing with from under the dash don't have fans. If you had the big sub in the trunk where the spare tire is supposed to be, those amps may have fans, don't know though. But I thought I remember you saying you had Sound Group 2.
I might have to remove some of those push pins and go digging around in the trunk in a day or two. My curiosity has peaked......

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I haven't played with the OBDLink device by itself yet, as soon as I got it I used it to connect to Alfa, but I think it has some free download OBDLink apps that go with it. I may do that this weekend to see what all it'll do.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I just found this thread..

There's probably a better way to refer to that thread, I was playing with the quote quotes, just gave up and copied and pasted the address
Anyway look at the last entry #6 from 9 days ago, he says Alfa doesn't officially support cars after 2017, and there are some comments about newer cars needing to bypass a security gateway or something.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
True, bought the bypass from Zautomotive, so ya more cost. I would love to meet the bean counter who thought SGII shouldn't be offered with SRTs and give them a good knock on the head.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I'm guessing MDS would be in the engine control module, haven't logged into that yet. When I can I'll connect and take a look. Tomorrow I have Comcast scheduled to be a the house when I get home, but will try Tuesday.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I just did a search on the AlfaOBD thread on the Ram forum (it's up tp 1042 pages long, over 10400 posts) and there's a lot of posts about disabling MDS, but most say it can't be done.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Well, installed the bypass, connected the OBDLink, bought and downloaded the AlphaOBD software, connected it via Bluetooth to my phone - and it doesn't work like described. Big surprise..... Stuck on trying to set the Cabin EQ number with no known value instead of the drop down box.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts