Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I recently retired and are looking for a weekend cruiser/parked for our michigan winters.Drove the camaro ss and ford GT mustang both had limited vision(must be a old fart thing)Loved the challenger scat pack we drove(great vision)and hauls a$$.Question that I have buy a 2017($4,000 local rebates) or order a 2018 just the way I want it.I currently have a 2016 Ram 2500 crew cab 4X4 with the 6.4 hemi and love it.Thanks,coobie:laugh2:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'd look and see if you can find one at a discount that has what you want. What is the worst that happens, you have no luck and you order one.
W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
Very little difference between the years, the 2018s have auto up windows and you can get different color brake calipers. If you can find a 17 that has what you want, no doubt you will get a better price.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
I often wonder why it is we feel like we need to buy from a local dealer. That really limits the choices. There are hundreds of these things for sale, and some dealers are much more willing to actually grant a DEAL.
Let me guess, it's easier. Fine. But thousands of dollars easier? That's not making a lot of sense to me.
MMM... I'll get better service if I actually buy it locally??? I don't think so. A service department is a service department: I really have my doubts that they even know or care where I bought it. I've never been granted a "good deal" because a service manager knew me.

Years ago I found an amazing deal 1000 miles from home. The dealership paid for my flight, picked me up at the airport, and sold me a used vehicle AFTER HOURS. What a deal. Long drive home, but hey, I got through it just fine.

Check out the deals on Car Gurus my friend. Very likely you can get EXACTLY what you want.

Gary

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you want a loaded car look for 15 percent off msrp on 2017 or order 2018. I ordered 2 because I couldn't find the color and options I wanted. Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I often wonder why it is we feel like we need to buy from a local dealer. That really limits the choices. There are hundreds of these things for sale, and some dealers are much more willing to actually grant a DEAL.
Let me guess, it's easier. Fine. But thousands of dollars easier? That's not making a lot of sense to me.
MMM... I'll get better service if I actually buy it locally??? I don't think so. A service department is a service department: I really have my doubts that they even know or care where I bought it. I've never been granted a "good deal" because a service manager knew me.

Years ago I found an amazing deal 1000 miles from home. The dealership paid for my flight, picked me up at the airport, and sold me a used vehicle AFTER HOURS. What a deal. Long drive home, but hey, I got through it just fine.

Check out the deals on Car Gurus my friend. Very likely you can get EXACTLY what you want.

Gary
I get employee pricing so a NO brainer for me to buy local same price near or far.Thanks,Frank

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I get employee pricing so a NO brainer for me to buy local same price near or far.Thanks,Frank
Employee pricing: good for you. You are one rare and fortunate fella. However, Car Gurus can indeed show you where the exact one you're looking for is located. My vote is for the 2017. Assuming that even with employee pricing (for either), you'll do much better on the price of a '17 ???

Gary

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:smile::grin2:
Employee pricing: good for you. You are one rare and fortunate fella. However, Car Gurus can indeed show you where the exact one you're looking for is located. My vote is for the 2017. Assuming that even with employee pricing (for either), you'll do much better on the price of a '17 ???

Gary
:grin2: Yup feel very fortunate.Thanks..

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts

Gary
Its a holdover from the days of dealers pulling tactic (for warranty work): "well, you didn't buy it from our store...why should we do the work..." This was typical of US brand dealerships.

Now with the internet and having access to customer service, manufacturer management, zone managers, we have more resources vs. the "old days" where the dealer wasn't volunteering any information about any of this.

And you're on point Gary - I know of many Hellcat owners in my area that got cars from out of area dealers because the "local" ones were playing all the price games. Many of these local dealers now discount their 9 - 12 month old 'Cat inventory below MSRP since they've been paying interest on those loans to acquire the inventory...and the dealers had everything to do with that.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Its a holdover from the days of dealers pulling tactic (for warranty work): "well, you didn't buy it from our store...why should we do the work..." This was typical of US brand dealerships.

Now with the internet and having access to customer service, manufacturer management, zone managers, we have more resources vs. the "old days" where the dealer wasn't volunteering any information about any of this.

And you're on point Gary - I know of many Hellcat owners in my area that got cars from out of area dealers because the "local" ones were playing all the price games. Many of these local dealers now discount their 9 - 12 month old 'Cat inventory below MSRP since they've been paying interest on those loans to acquire the inventory...and the dealers had everything to do with that.
HalH
Thank you sir. "Times are a changing," Bob Dylan said. And when it comes to buying cars, they are. The internet and smart phones have brought us huge volumes of vital information literally at our fingertips. Dealers have been forced to become more transparent and dare I say it, a little more honest with their pricing. They have to: the internet and the savvy buyer mandates this. Websites like Car Gurus do all the work for us, even providing accurate info based on miles, age, and options; comparing it to average price paid for the same exact car nationwide. Wouldn't all this have been nice 30 years ago? We don't have to shop blind any more.
Sad to say, it's not so easy with brand new cars, or cars that ya might want to order, but that's starting to change as well.

Exciting times.

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are the major differences (option wise) between the Scat pack & SRT 392.Looking at both at this point.Thanks for any input ..

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
What are the major differences (option wise) between the Scat pack & SRT 392.Looking at both at this point.Thanks for any input ..
Items standard on SRT 392:
*3 mode Bilstein shocks (n/a on Scat Pack)
*6 piston Brembo front brakes (extra $2.2k on SP model)
*9.5" x 20" wheel w/ 275/40 -20 tires (extra cost pkg on SP model)
*Performance Audio (HK 900w) - (extra cost option on SP model)
*Laguna Leather interior (n/a on Scat Pack)
*Driver Conv Grp is std (extra cost option on SP)
*Nav is std (extra cost option on SP)

There's a number of items that can be added to a Scat Pack, but a couple of things (shocks, premium leather) are unique to the SRT line.

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Items standard on SRT 392:
*3 mode Bilsten shocks (n/a on Scat Pack)
*6 piston Brembo front brakes (extra $2.2k on SP models)
*9.5" x 20" wheel w/ 275/40 -20 tires (extra cost pkg on SP models)
*Performance Audio (HK 900w) - extra cost option on SP model
*Laguna Leather interior (n/a on Scat Pack)
*Driver Conv Grp is std (extra cost option on Scat Pack)
*Nav is std (extra cost option on Scat Pack)

There's a number of items that can be added to a Scat Pack, but a couple of things (shocks, premium leather) are unique to the SRT line.
Great info thanks,leaning towards the SRT 392 at this point.:laugh2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts