Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any modifications to the R/T exhaust system? I know it has active exhaust but any muffler or reso deletes? If so clips? Opinions ?pictures from underneath if possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
My 18 R/T sounds so damn good I have no desire to touch it!

I don't think any aftermarket system would sound any better nor would removing any mufflers or reso delete.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
I don't get it, I looked up mufflers for a 2017 RT and it is the same as 2015 and 2016. I know the 2017 have active exhaust but how can a valve make the exhaust sound more aggressive than a system with no valve (fully open)? Or are the part numbers I am seeing for the 2017 bogus? IMO the manuals (have separate glass pack like mid mufflers and an H-pipe instead of X-pipe) had a pretty good exhaust note. Anyone have pics of the undercarriage of a +2017 RT showing the exhaust?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't get it, I looked up mufflers for a 2017 RT and it is the same as 2015 and 2016. I know the 2017 have active exhaust but how can a valve make the exhaust sound more aggressive than a system with no valve (fully open)? Or are the part numbers I am seeing for the 2017 bogus? IMO the manuals (have separate glass pack like mid mufflers and an H-pipe instead of X-pipe) had a pretty good exhaust note. Anyone have pics of the undercarriage of a +2017 RT showing the exhaust?

I actually have a couple of pics from my 17 chally it’s stick shift

·
Registered
64 Posts
there's several on YouTube that done the muffler and/or resonator delete on the 17-18 R/T. I have an 2018 TA with the 5.7L which is practically same exhaust/motor set-up as an 17-18 R/T. I did the muffler delete (kept the resonators) and it is VERY loud. I have an 8sp automatic and you don't hear it much while in 8th gear cruising on the highway or during idle when the engine is warm. However it is loud at idle on a cold start. If I could do it again, I would've picked up some dynomax mini race bullet mufflers to tone it down a bit for those loud cold starts as I work early morning and hate waking up the neighbors. One thing I noticed on my TA is the resonators aren't the suit case style Ive seen on the R/T's. They looked like the resonators on the scat pack (black and oval).

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
I actually have a couple of pics from my 17 chally it’s stick shift

Thanks, it looks very similar to my 2015 manual when it was stock but yours has an x-pipe and offset type mid mufflers. The mid mufflers are responsible for most if not all cabin rumble. If you remove the mid mufflers all the exhaust note and rumble is shifted to the back of the vehicle as there are no chambers under the cabin. I am guessing the resonators are different as well...probably closer to what the SP are running.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there's several on YouTube that done the muffler and/or resonator delete on the 17-18 R/T. I have an 2018 TA with the 5.7L which is practically same exhaust/motor set-up as an 17-18 R/T. I did the muffler delete (kept the resonators) and it is VERY loud. I have an 8sp automatic and you don't hear it much while in 8th gear cruising on the highway or during idle when the engine is warm. However it is loud at idle on a cold start. If I could do it again, I would've picked up some dynomax mini race bullet mufflers to tone it down a bit for those loud cold starts as I work early morning and hate waking up the neighbors. One thing I noticed on my TA is the resonators aren't the suit case style Ive seen on the R/T's. They looked like the resonators on the scat pack (black and oval).

I was thinking of removing the mid muf but the only thing keeping me away is drone. You get drone or anything at all? Some say it’s not even noticeable

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, it looks very similar to my 2015 manual when it was stock but yours has an x-pipe and offset type mid mufflers. The mid mufflers are responsible for most if not all cabin rumble. If you remove the mid mufflers all the exhaust note and rumble is shifted to the back of the vehicle as there are no chambers under the cabin. I am guessing the resonators are different as well...probably closer to what the SP are running.

So mid muffler would be the route to go? I will once in the future get a proper exhaust system from borla, but for right now I might just do a muf delete and add quad tips for style

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Every time I look up videos it’s always 15-16 might be just cause I’m in my phone but I’ll try my laptop some say the 15-17 are the same just 17 have active exhaust

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
So mid muffler would be the route to go? I will once in the future get a proper exhaust system from borla, but for right now I might just do a muf delete and add quad tips for style

I went with corsa extreme and removed the mid mufflers as I wanted more exhaust volume out the back and not in the cabin (you would feel the sound in the footwell). Although, sometimes I miss the rumble. I have done borla on other vehicles and they they tend to drone but I have seen their resonator and it looks like they might run a j pipe which helps keep drone down.

I also forgot the +2017 run a larger diameter cat back pipe 2.75 instead of 2.5 (manuals) and 2.25 (autos) the 2015-2016s run.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was thinking of removing the mid muf but the only thing keeping me away is drone. You get drone or anything at all? Some say it’s not even noticeable

Check out this guys YouTube channel of his 17' RT 6 speed with muffler delete + stock resonators.

I have the 8 speed auto and drone is minimal in 8th gear cruising on the highway. Around the city, drone is non-existent if I drive like a granny. I've read the 6 speed manual gearbox would give out higher chances of drone since you'd be sitting at a higher rpm range.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts

If you remove the mid mufflers and keep the back resonators on you will not get drone but the exhaust note will be louder (your exhaust flaps should tame the sound levels at cruise and idle). Again all the cabin rumble you hear with the mid mufflers will move to the back of the car.

It is funny that everyone wishes they had the active exhaust of the +2017 but the valves actually quiet down the system at idle and cruising speed.

If anything, you would want the 2.75" system and mufflers/reso from a (the entire cat back system minus the valves) scat pack.

Heck the SP guys are trying to find ways to keep the active exhaust open all the time. :browsmiley:

IMO the active flaps are just one more thing that can potentially fail. Although, they can help cars with MDS when it is activated (just like on the GCs) but on manuals they should be removed. >:)

https://www.torquenews.com/106/all-2017-dodge-challenger-charger-hemi-cars-get-dual-mode-exhaust

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
Mid muffler delete it is ;)

What I did on the corsa was I bought band clamps from Pype and a section of 4' long stainless tubing from summit racing which I cut to fit the section where the mid mufflers sit. I sometimes find the tone can get too raspy/trumpety but never to the point that I want to put the mid mufflers back on. There is more exhaust note (not drone) at highway speeds but I think your active exhaust flaps will tame it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a 17 T/A and did a mid muffler delete. The sound didn't change that much. I ended up going with a 3" catback Flowmaster Outlaw set up, and honestly, its not that much louder either. The cats on the challenger are by far the most restrictive part of the exhaust set up. I have some headers and high flow cats in the garage waiting to be put on, so hopefully I'll see a bigger difference in sound.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a 17 T/A and did a mid muffler delete. The sound didn't change that much. I ended up going with a 3" catback Flowmaster Outlaw set up, and honestly, its not that much louder either. The cats on the challenger are by far the most restrictive part of the exhaust set up. I have some headers and high flow cats in the garage waiting to be put on, so hopefully I'll see a bigger difference in sound.

Are you in Cali or out of Cali ? I want hi flow cats but I need to find some cats to meet Cali’s stupid standards

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
I am itching to install mine. >:) BTW I had the additional bung welded to both headers, $30 at a shop in the next town. Have the car sitting on wheel cribs just waiting to be worked on...too bad it is like 10F in the garage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts