Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just bought a new 2017 challenger r/t from dealer, i got a little anxious to test her out on my way home from work, with 120 miles i placed her in sport mode and set dash to 0-60 timer and mashed pedal to metal. I did this 3 times with the best 0-60 time of 5.8 seconds. I'm a little concerned that the car isn't living up to it's performance potential because i read it reaches 60 in 5.1 to 5.2 seconds. I'm in FL with 100 degree roads.

Could this just be a break in period and it will definitely meet the performance potential or do I have a lemon?

Edit**
Dont do this to your car until it is broken in. Its best to break in the car first to a couple thousand miles before you push car that hard, im new to owning new cars so i was not privvy to this info.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My best is only 5.7 with the 6 speed manual. But that's with just normal tires on a normal road. They do their testing, along with other drivers who time it, on a track with nice hot sticky track pavement and hot tires, and lots of practice. I'm sure it's able to get those times on a normal road but when you see the advertised time, that's always done on a track, not some random highway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You don't have a lemon. Your car isn't even broken in yet, and 5.8 seconds is still in the ballpark. It takes practice, getting to know your car, etc. Take it easy while you're still in the break-in period. Don't overdo the 0-60 attempts yet. Faster times are ahead.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,003 Posts
Where does the extra 70HP and 140ft lbs of torque show up if not down low? My V6 has done a 5.9, and that was around 80° out. I don't think that's unusual either. I'd have though the 5.7L would be at lease a 1/2 a second faster, if not more?

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,581 Posts
My best was 5.3s (stock '15 6 speed w/ clutch delay) which has room for improvement as it is hard to launch without spinning the tires in 1st. After the SC install, clutch delay delete, one piece driveshaft...I quit trying because either I hit the rev limiter or smoke the tires in 2nd. Things get worst when ambient temps hit below 70F (cold tires and cold IATs make it a smoke show). My next upgrade is wider wheels but it is so much fun melting tires on command.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,581 Posts
If you have an auto and STP you should apply launch control but I think it wont become available until you exceed the preset break-in mileage...or something like that. Also I noticed when temps are 80F and above the power output is noticeable lower even with 93 octane fuel.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I hear traction control can be turndd off at 500 miles, 1000 and 3750 now. Does stock rt without stp package have that ability to unlock as well?
Not sure about traction control, but allegedly (its been a matter of high debate) the VVT/VCT does not activate until 3750 miles for break in purposes.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/vvt-vct-break-mode-63731/

Either way, as BlackHemi41 said I would wait longer before pushing it that hard, its still a newborn.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The small hemi is a nice engine. It's not going to feel all that spectacular after you get use to it's power level. It's still a good performer and a nice car, enjoy your ride.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
The 5.7 suffers greatly from heat soak. My times here in Tucson in Summer were much worse then yours. However, since you just picked it up, I can just about guarantee you that the dealership put regular gas in. My last 5.7 was an absolute dog off the lot because of that. After I ran it almost empty and put in premium gas it made a BIG difference. So I would say heat is part of the problem and low octane is a bigger factor.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I can do a 5.0 on 2017 5.7 A8. If you get any wheel spin at all you will run a high 5. You have roll in to the throttle to control the wheel spin to get a low 5. I get a low 5 consistently in normal drive with full traction control. Sport mode is really hard to launch without wheel spin, at least for me it is. These cars need bigger or stickier tires. Also check your tire pressures. I dropped my rears to 28 psi and they seem to hook better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My tires came filled 50 psi front back, lowering that should help grip.. good one!

I can do a 5.0 on 2017 5.7 A8. If you get any wheel spin at all you will run a high 5. You have roll in to the throttle to control the wheel spin to get a low 5. I get a low 5 consistently in normal drive with full traction control. Sport mode is really hard to launch without wheel spin, at least for me it is. These cars need bigger or stickier tires. Also check your tire pressures. I dropped my rears to 28 psi and they seem to hook better.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll second the cooler time of day (night?) and lower the rear tire pressure. My '15 5.7 A8 is faster with the TC ON and the trans in sport. burnout is done TC OFF first. Best time 5.3.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Remember, you are talking a fraction of a second. Like others have said.... practice.
My 15 r/t finally clocked 5.2. The temp was 34 degrees. And I had 4,000 miles on her before I finally got
Consistent times.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Best I got in my 14 R/T auto was 4.97, like someone else said slowly roll on the throttle. Best in my 15 Scat Pack manual has only been a 4.8, wish the newer cars had timers that registered in the tenths like the 14 did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Man, 100 degrees down in Florida..yeah heat soak big time. Hemi's are bad with this, mine feels like a different car in the wintertime, completely different car. Try that 0-60 run again in December or January.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts