Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an exhaust rattle when I crank my challenger up. Happens for only about 2 seconds when what I believe is the valves moving on the active exhaust. While my car sits idle I can rev my car and never hear the rattle. As soon as I move my car and get to about 2k rpm I can hear a metallic rattle again almost similar to a heat shield rattle.The rattle stops after about 2500 rpm. I have about 7k mils on it now was thinking maybe it would go away but hasn't. Anyone else have a similar problem before? Only thing I could think would be the active exhaust but I'm mechanic haha.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm getting an exhaust rattle when I crank my challenger up. Happens for only about 2 seconds when what I believe is the valves moving on the active exhaust. While my car sits idle I can rev my car and never hear the rattle. As soon as I move my car and get to about 2k rpm I can hear a metallic rattle again almost similar to a heat shield rattle.The rattle stops after about 2500 rpm. I have about 7k mils on it now was thinking maybe it would go away but hasn't. Anyone else have a similar problem before? Only thing I could think would be the active exhaust but I'm mechanic haha.
Sounds very much like my troubles with my 2014 SRT, mine will do it at light load around 1100 to 1300 RPM. Like when you're nudging it around a parking lot or going up a hill at low speed.

On advice from an indie muffler shop, I took it to the dealer on the chance it would end up being an emissions related part. They are warrantied for longer than other parts of the car. The dealer told me it was the mufflers and would only do a full cat back exhaust to replace it. $ 2100 estimated and out of warranty. I'm still a bit skeptical and did not to the service.

The service tech mentioned that the active valves are a common failure item on Challengers.

Let me know what happens, curious if you actually find out what is wrong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a rattle in 2015 sp Steve White changed the whole exhaust and send it back to Dodge for an evaluation. Something was making noise inside the muffler.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a rattle in 2015 sp Steve White changed the whole exhaust and send it back to Dodge for an evaluation. Something was making noise inside the muffler.
Which muffler ?, the cylindrical one in about the middle of the car or the rectangular one just at the exhaust exit ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts