Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I recently heard the 18 speaker system in the Hellcat and the 2 10's sound amazing for being what it is. Is it possible to install those 10's to work with the stock system or aftermarket options?

Thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes it is.I have a 2015 Challenger R/T with Sound Group II(the Alpine System).I added the spare tire well mounted Harman Kardon subs (lucked out on E bay bought the subs for 60 dollars,cost me more to ship it.)I tapped into the rear deck sub in my R/T for signal.I mounted a small amp on the subs (a 35 dollar Boss E Bay amp),then I hooked up the sub signal I tapped to a line out converter then to the amp.Works like a charm.I even added portholes behind my rear center armrest to let the bass through better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could you provide info on what wires you tapped into for the amp remote and for rca convertor? Looking to add a sub to my Alpine factory stereo. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
744 Posts
I tapped the wires to the factory 8 inch sub on my rear deck.If you do not have that you will have to tap the wires to one of your door speakers as the rear speakers get mid and upper frequencies and the doors get more bass.The line out converter I bought was a Scosche @ Walmart for 20 dollars.I have used them on several installs and they work great.They have a remote trigger wire for the amp which will turn it on if your amp has remote trigger.Also has a subwoofer volume control and adjustable sensitivity and frequency adjustment.Wire from your door speaker/sub if you have one to the loc and RCA cables from loc to amp.Then just wire the amp to the subs.The amp I used is a 35 dollar Boss CE101 on E Bay and it works like a charm.I painted a small piece of mdf satin black and attached that to the Harman Kardon subs and attached the amp to that with spacers for air circulation.I also cut out the mdf below the amp to allow more air circulation.It works so well I bought a spare in case I blow it so it would be an easy swap out.I have played the amp loudly for extended periods with no issues.The factory Harman Kardon sub if that is what you are using is a dual voice coil 150 watts per coil @ 4 ohms on each sub(2 in the enclosure).It is wired in parallel.Depending upon what amp you use you may have to remove the subs from enclosure and wire in series.It is important to match the ohm load of your sub to your amp or it will overheat and fail.There are many ways to wire subs and subs to adjust the ohm load the amp sees.Google for your application will tell you if you need in series or parallel.Hope I haven't confused you too badly.It is not as bad as it sounds.I used t taps(wire taps) that clamp over the factory wiring that allow you to make connections to them without cutting them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you. I was more looking for location and colours lol. I had no idea that I had to connect to the front speakers and not the ones in the back window area. I dont think mine has a factory sub. All I no is it has the "upgraded"(what the dealer called it lol) Alpine system. I did a small sub and amp install on a Camaro with factory amp. I used a RCA convertor and tapped into the remote wire to the factory amp and the lo lines to the rear speakers. Those rears have highs and los.

·
Registered
3 Posts
wlemer - how did you wire the speakers to the amp? There are 6 wires coming out of the box and I’m not sure how I would wire to a 2 channel or mono amp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts