Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! New member looking for some help!

I am a long time Dodge driver, have driven my 08 Avenger for 9 years. 160,000 miles on it.

I am finally in a place where I can afford a new car. I am 29 and figure my NEXT car could be a family car. :surprise:

So this car I want to be a ME car. I am looking at the Challenger SCAT. I have some upgraded options. It is going to be a very large financial commitment for me. I am excited about it! But also want to make sure I won't regret it. If the Ford Dealership (please don't hate me) can beat the SCAT by a good amount, I am thinking of going that way. But really love the SCATs and want to stay in the Dodge family. Any advice? Pros and Cons? Anything would help. Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
You said "could be a family car." That says a lot. Does this mean a family is planned, or already started and growing? But it also involves some questions. How often will the little ones be riding in the Challenger? Will this be a second car or the only car? Then you have to evaluate what life will be like dealing with little ones in the back seat of your muscle car. Will there be car seats involved? Both you and mom have to get back there too. Back there to strap in kids and to remove safety seats. Back there to find the pacifier and clean up the vomit. Back there to "deal" with junior or to scrub the chocolate chips off the seat. Not to mention weekly cleaning of all the places they put their muddy feet.

Unless of course the appearance and smell of the back seat doesn't matter to you. Buying a beautiful car is easy. Keeping it that way is another story, especially when when you have kids. Now if the kids are older and can be responsible, you might have a completely different story.

So here's the big question. How much room is in that back seat? How hard is it to get back there?

But there's more. A family car needs a trunk. This really matters. You'll find yourself leaving the mustang home all too often because there's no room in the trunk.

Best choice between Ford and Dodge is obvious when it comes to room. However, you might also want to consider the Charger. 4 doors speaks for itself.

All that said, consider this. When you've owned this car for a few years and you decide to sell, how much are you going to lose on depreciation? Check the prices for '15 Mustangs and Scat Packs. Notice the difference? Scat Packs REALLY hold their value. How much you pay when you buy pales in comparison to depreciation. This matters. This is indeed a deal breaker for the Mustang.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you are looking at Challenger vs Mustang?
I am looking at just a Challenger SCAT, but as I said it is going to be a big financial commitment for me. I'm not following the 1/10th rule.... more the 1/6th rule on this. So the Mustang would be more in my price range, but I love the 6.4 V8 chargers so much! My current vehicle is a 2.4 4-cylinder Avenger.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You said "could be a family car." That says a lot. Does this mean a family is planned, or already started and growing? But it also involves some questions. How often will the little ones be riding in the Challenger? Will this be a second car or the only car? Then you have to evaluate what life will be like dealing with little ones in the back seat of your muscle car. Will there be car seats involved? Both you and mom have to get back there too. Back there to strap in kids and to remove safety seats. Back there to find the pacifier and clean up the vomit. Back there to "deal" with junior or to scrub the chocolate chips off the seat. Not to mention weekly cleaning of all the places they put their muddy feet.

Unless of course the appearance and smell of the back seat doesn't matter to you. Buying a beautiful car is easy. Keeping it that way is another story, especially when when you have kids. Now if the kids are older and can be responsible, you might have a completely different story.

So here's the big question. How much room is in that back seat? How hard is it to get back there?

But there's more. A family car needs a trunk. This really matters. You'll find yourself leaving the mustang home all too often because there's no room in the trunk.

Best choice between Ford and Dodge is obvious. However, you might also want to consider the Charger. 4 doors speaks for itself.
Excellent points! Thanks for the response. "Could be" as in I have a serious girlfriend now who could turn into a wife and then kids... so THEN my next vehicle will have to be a family car. But as of right now, this is a car for me! :)

I'm more or less finding out if the financial commitment is worth it. I love this car so much and want to stay in the Dodge family! But wanted other people's opinions and experiences on the SCAT before I made this financial decision.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm 32 and starting a family within the next year. I've come from a Mazda 6, Challenger V6 and now a Scat Pack. I guess I'm blessed since my Fiancee was the one that pushed me to get the Scat Pack. She told me that she didn't want me to resent her and our future kids! That solidified buying the car.

You could also buy a beater later on once kids come around. Do yourself a favor and buy the Scat Pack right now. You can always trade it in later if times get tough, but you'll regret it if you don't take this shot right now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
I am looking at just a Challenger SCAT, but as I said it is going to be a big financial commitment for me. I'm not following the 1/10th rule.... more the 1/6th rule on this. So the Mustang would be more in my price range, but I love the 6.4 V8 chargers so much! My current vehicle is a 2.4 4-cylinder Avenger.
The 5.7 Challenger not enough power? Have you driven either before?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 5.7 Challenger not enough power? Have you driven either before?
I've drive the SCAT but not the 5.7. I'm sure it has plenty of power but since this is going to be a big purchase I kind of want to do it right! Get the big engine. But if the price makes that much sense then I may go with the 5.7.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've drive the SCAT but not the 5.7. I'm sure it has plenty of power but since this is going to be a big purchase I kind of want to do it right! Get the big engine. But if the price makes that much sense then I may go with the 5.7.
I recently chose 5.7 over 6.4 for several reasons none of them are price. 5.7 has plenty of power unless you are going to the track, 6.4 has more along with some other upgrades. About 3-4k difference in price but good value for the cost increase.

You don't want to put yourself in terrible debt but settling for something when you wanted something else much more is a bad idea too.

If you really want the scat pack, and waiting a bit longer will put you in a better place, then that is a good idea.

Its a fairly decent time to buy now, the 18s will be hitting lots in about a month.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently lucked into a leftover '16 scat pack that I'm absolutely in love with. I looked at the Mustang first, and the two cars are entirely different. I consider the Mustang more of a sports car, and the Challenger more of a muscle car. The Challenger is /huge/ compared to the Mustang. You can forget about putting any kids (or anything else) in the backseat of the Mustang. If there's a chance of kids, just write that one off. Additionally, by the time you get into a GT Premium (the base GT is really base), you're around the same price as a scat pack.

The challenger can handle a family. We're out of the infant car seat, so I imagine that would be a pain to put in the backseat, but my 6 year old hops on back there like it's nothing and loves riding in the car.

Go drive one, and then come back here and let us know what color you got. ;)

·
Registered
2016 Scatpack Shaker Edition
9 Posts
I recently lucked into a leftover '16 scat pack that I'm absolutely in love with. I looked at the Mustang first, and the two cars are entirely different. I consider the Mustang more of a sports car, and the Challenger more of a muscle car. The Challenger is /huge/ compared to the Mustang. You can forget about putting any kids (or anything else) in the backseat of the Mustang. If there's a chance of kids, just write that one off. Additionally, by the time you get into a GT Premium (the base GT is really base), you're around the same price as a scat pack.

The challenger can handle a family. We're out of the infant car seat, so I imagine that would be a pain to put in the backseat, but my 6 year old hops on back there like it's nothing and loves riding in the car.

Go drive one, and then come back here and let us know what color you got. ;)

I will absolutely back this statement up. I drive my 9 and 10 year olds to school in my Scatpack every day. I also sat in a mustang.. I repeat... sat in a mustang.. turned around and looked in the back seat.. told the sales person.. nope this is just not going to work and left. To each his own though.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I'm 32 and starting a family within the next year. I've come from a Mazda 6, Challenger V6 and now a Scat Pack. I guess I'm blessed since my Fiancee was the one that pushed me to get the Scat Pack. She told me that she didn't want me to resent her and our future kids! That solidified buying the car.

You could also buy a beater later on once kids come around. Do yourself a favor and buy the Scat Pack right now. You can always trade it in later if times get tough, but you'll regret it if you don't take this shot right now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Yeah, Right NOW! You will smile, guaranteed. Will enjoy driving everywhere you go. May not have these any longer after your family is grown. HORROR! Nobody knows. But right NOW you can do something about. Son, I think you know what must be done. You are a man and this is your life. And if you must sell someday it will be worth more than you would think.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
What do ya bet that the day the 18's hit the lot, the 17's drop like a stone?

Scat Pack: I'm loving the ventilated seats on my SRT392. Cools the seat in a hurry here in Fla. Can't believe I lived (and sweated) without this for so long. Anyway, this is an option on the Scat: [edit:Thanks Hal H]
Ventilated seats come as part of the package when ya order leather seats in a Scat. Something to think about...

Getting in and out of your car... amazing how much easier it is to slide into the Challenger as compared to the Mustang. That is one tiny car. Felt like a go-kart the day I tried one out.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
What do ya bet that the day the 18's hit the lot, the 17's drop like a stone?

Scat Pack: I'm loving the ventilated seats on my SRT392. Cools the seat in a hurry here in Fla. Can't believe I lived (and sweated) without this for so long. Anyway, this is an option on the Scat: driver's convenience group, if I'm not mistaken. Comes as part of the package when ya get leather seats. Something to think about...

Getting in and out of your car... amazing how much easier it is to slide into the Challenger as compared to the Mustang. That is one tiny car. Felt like a go-kart the day I tried one out.

Good luck with your decision.
Leather Interior Group is option that also adds vented seats / heated seats. The cloth houndstooth seats do not have that feature [base seat in SXT (base), R/T (base), T/A 5.7 (base), T/A 392, Scat Pack].

On T/A 392 & Scat Pack, Leather Int Grp is an extra cost option.

On SP Shake, Leather Int. Grp is std feature that deviates from the typical base SP features.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,264 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you are a retro muscle car guy get the Scat Pack, you will love the look and power of the 392 Hemi. If you want a little extra room and a more practical car while having lot's of power then get the Scat Pack over the Mustang. Basically IMO I'd say just get the Challenger. :thumbsup::guiness:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you are a retro muscle car guy get the Scat Pack, you will love the look and power of the 392 Hemi. If you want a little extra room and a more practical car while having lot's of power then get the Scat Pack over the Mustang. Basically IMO I'd say just get the Challenger. :thumbsup::guiness:
Me too!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,045 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts