Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2017 challenger and I upgraded my uconnect from the standard 8.4inch to an 8.4inch with navigation. I currently have two issues that I am hoping to find a solution to.

My first issue is that the navigation says that I am in Texas but I am in NY and I tried resetting the uconnect, I even took out the fuse so it would do a hard reset on its own and still nothing. I even put my home address and drove for over an hour and it still never adjusted to my current location. I am worried that it needs an update, but when I check the site using my own VIN it is saying it is up to date and thats because my old Uconnect does have the most recent update. What can I do if I dont have my new uconnects Vins?

My second issue is that a week ago while starting my car and driving, I switched to the sirius XM radio and its telling em to visit the dealer for service because of my antenna? I have no idea why this has happened, my fm and am works just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,503 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have you tried going to a site like carguru to find a same year challenger/trim with 8.4 nav and grab the vin to use in the uconnect download site to get the latest firmware?

I believe you have a UAQ radio so you can do a master reset as follows:

Master Reset
1. Power on the radio.
2. Click on the Phone icon.
3. Hold the top right corner of the screen for about 13 seconds *It may take longer.
4. The radio will shut off and restart.
5. Master reset is complete.

Otherwise if you have a tazer you might be able to do a reset through the tazer?

As for the antenna, maybe you don't have a good connection as apparently the XM satellite antenna is the same for all radios according to this link but not 100% sure.

"*Designed for all 2011-2021 navigation or compass radio applications (RHB, RHR, RA2, RA4, UAG, UAS, UAQ, UAV)"

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
298 Posts
I currently have a 2017 challenger and I upgraded my uconnect from the standard 8.4inch to an 8.4inch with navigation. I currently have two issues that I am hoping to find a solution to.

My first issue is that the navigation says that I am in Texas but I am in NY and I tried resetting the uconnect, I even took out the fuse so it would do a hard reset on its own and still nothing. I even put my home address and drove for over an hour and it still never adjusted to my current location. I am worried that it needs an update, but when I check the site using my own VIN it is saying it is up to date and thats because my old Uconnect does have the most recent update. What can I do if I dont have my new uconnects Vins?

My second issue is that a week ago while starting my car and driving, I switched to the sirius XM radio and its telling em to visit the dealer for service because of my antenna? I have no idea why this has happened, my fm and am works just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
I think you might have a bad nav radio head unit. I have a 2018 with nav with the same issue. Finally took it to the dealer and they had to order a replacement. Mine is original to the car and also showing no updates available on uConnect. I really didn’t want a new radio head unit because I believe it’s a software issue, but that’s the warranty fix.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
672 Posts
Might pull your radio and make sure you didn’t miss a connection when you put it in. Just an idea.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
34 Posts
Do you have the most up to date software in there? When I bought my 2016 a month ago, the nav was horrible. I updated the uConnect software to the most recent one and it fixed the nav system issues. However, the uConnect service cannot see my updated software so I am working with issues with that for the past week now.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,503 Posts
Since the OP upgraded his radio it might be difficult for him to get the latest and greatest software thru Uconnect. One trick (only tried on my 2015 radio though) is to go to carguru and find a vehicle with the same radio, copy its VIN and then use it to grab the latest firmware.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
34 Posts
Since the OP upgraded his radio it might be difficult for him to get the latest and greatest software thru Uconnect. One trick (only tried on my 2015 radio though) is to go to carguru and find a vehicle with the same radio, copy its VIN and then use it to grab the latest firmware.
I downloaded it on my computer and put it on a usb thumbstick and updated it that way.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,503 Posts
I downloaded it on my computer and put it on a usb thumbstick and updated it that way.
Yes but if you upgrade your radio and try to use your vin in the Uconnect software update site, it will still think you have the radio originally equipped that came with the car. So if you have a 2015-2016 (and some 2017s? with an RA4 radio) and upgrade the radio to a UAQ you will not be able to get the updated software using your vin. Hence you need to find a vin from a vehicle originally equipped with a UAQ. Same is true if you go from a 5" to an 8.4" radio.

·
Banned
173 Posts
I was going to upgrade my 5" screen to an 8.4" head unit. After reading mass complaints regarding NAV, lockouts, black screen, peeling, random program changing, overheating, etc... I've decided to just stick with my perfectly functional 5" head unit.

I also sh!t-canned the idea of installing paddle shifters. 1. They look like something that belongs in a BMW. 2. They don't seem to operate properly for very long. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a mod that converts the left side rocker-switch to a +/- shifter.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I was going to upgrade my 5" screen to an 8.4" head unit. After reading mass complaints regarding NAV, lockouts, black screen, peeling, random program changing, overheating, etc... I've decided to just stick with my perfectly functional 5" head unit.
To be fair, most of these issues were on 2017+ 8.4 radios. They had a different manufacturer. The only issue with 2015-16 8.4's with NAV, is it would be lost if it didn't have the update to the Uconnect that was issued a year ago.

·
Banned
173 Posts
To be fair, most of these issues were on 2017+ 8.4 radios. They had a different manufacturer. The only issue with 2015-16 8.4's with NAV, is it would be lost if it didn't have the update to the Uconnect that was issued a year ago.
I'd like to get a new head unit, but I don't know where to source one? The Infomation.com units are reconditioned, which is okay, but, I've heard that a new head unit costs less than the reconditioned unit. I may just have to get a Information model with an extended warranty. Infomation.com has excellent customer service.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,503 Posts
I'd like to get a new head unit, but I don't know where to source one? The Infomation.com units are reconditioned, which is okay, but, I've heard that a new head unit costs less than the reconditioned unit. I may just have to get a Information model with an extended warranty. Infomation.com has excellent customer service.
Don't think you can get 2015-2016 RA4 headunits new anymore as most are discontinued. Radios are ~$1900 new...see the example in the 2016 link below (not sure if that is an RA4 headunit though...would have to dig more to find out).

Reconditioned from infotainment RA4 is $1200.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Don't think you can get 2015-2016 RA4 headunits new anymore as most are discontinued. Radios are ~$1900 new...see the example in the 2016 link below (not sure if that is an RA4 headunit though...would have to dig more to find out).

Reconditioned from infotainment RA4 is $1200.
Infotainment is running a sale which ends at midnight tonight. I need to decide what I'm goning to do? I guess I'll get the newest UAQ w/NAV. I just don't feel like removing the center console, just to install the new media hub.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts