Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting a louder and more aggressive sound from my challenger. I’m not trying to make it sound like a V8 but I want something that sounds better on start up, idle, and driving by. I have three ideas in mind:
1. Doing straight pipes from the cats to exhaust tips
2. Straight piping the resonators and swapping the mid mufflers with glass packs (specifically cherrybombs)
3. Doing a complete cat-back exhaust system (not my preferred method simply because of the cost to do it)

Along with doing a straight pipes I have heard some people complaining about drone sound in the cabin, but not from everyone, so I figured that might be a slight error in the work done.
Does anyone know a way to help without being told to trade my car in for an RT or HEMI.
Any info greatly helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did straight pipes from the cats to the tips, drove it like that for a few months and the drone was getting annoying on long trips. As of last Saturday I have had Flow Master Flow FX installed and now I love it even more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,392 Posts
My opinions, also based on reading every post here :)

1. Doing straight pipes from the cats to exhaust tips

You'll get sound, and will drone like crazy

2. Straight piping the resonators and swapping the mid mufflers with glass packs (specifically cherrybombs)

Removing resonators will result in drone. Drone is not a product of an installation mistake. The resonators are there to remove the drone, removing them without a fix (other resonators, J Pipes), will result in drone. The question is how much it bothers you.

3. Doing a complete cat-back exhaust system (not my preferred method simply because of the cost to do it)

This is the easiest way to get a "shaped sound". Not just a sound increase, but one that doesn't sound terrible

A Guy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the droning sound audible from the exterior? Because I really don’t want my car to sound like a ricer. If the droning is on the inside and not terrible, I can handle the sound not many people ride with me in my car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,392 Posts
It's on the inside, and usually at certain RPM ranges. Manual cars can keep it out of that range better by changing gears. It will drone outside as well, but it's a V6, and the sound is drone-y to begin with. With straight pipes you generally get more crackle and pops. There is always a hint of ricer, but if exhaust is done well, it has a deeper tone, and it doesn't pop like a ricer. Hard to explain, but some like the straight pipe sound.

BTW, welcome to Challengertalk ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
18 Posts
What I wanna do is install a Super Turbo Dynomax muffler 20" case (2 1/2 inch in and out) with no resonator. With the proper exhaust hangers it should have a low, mellow tone, but noticeable and should be quiet inside at cruz. Just for kicks I put one on my wifes 03 Neon and it sounds good, not like a ricer, but throaty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased Solo Performance Mach system for mine yesterday because the wife can't stand the drone and I've heard great things. In fact they are 15 percent off right now, got mine for 777. Putting mufflers on around here was near 500 just for mufflers and straight pipe, every place i called. The resonator delete alone was 150. Ill post vids once its done.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Here's mine at startup, no resonators and custom mufflers in the middle with J pipe bypass which helps with the exhaust tone, no drone at all when valves are closed and when open there's very little drone!
So basically its straight piped from after the cats to the tips, mufflers are straight through design inside. Valves controlled with a wireless remote.

Cold Start.

https://youtu.be/bNF94T4o8C4

First launch.

https://youtu.be/2yZj-FapvF4

·
Registered
73 Posts
RIPP Superchargers just released a new exhaust for the Challengers and Chargers. Costs about 1200 but I imagine its the one of the best quality exhaust systems for the V6 Challengers.

I have the Solo Performance kit on mine and it sounds pretty good and incredibly good considering it only costs around $800.

Someday I think I will upgrade to the RIPP after I start seeing more videos released of it and I'll probably do this around the same time I supercharge the car.

·
Registered
442 Posts
RIPP Superchargers just released a new exhaust for the Challengers and Chargers. Costs about 1200 but I imagine its the one of the best quality exhaust systems for the V6 Challengers.

I have the Solo Performance kit on mine and it sounds pretty good and incredibly good considering it only costs around $800.

Someday I think I will upgrade to the RIPP after I start seeing more videos released of it and I'll probably do this around the same time I supercharge the car.
Just do what I've done, you get the best of both worlds then. Honestly it sounds really good with the mid mufflers with j pipe bypass on it. Really throaty and screams nicely with a tone to it at 3k rpm and above.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,392 Posts

It does sound good, but the price...I won't be switching, lol

A Guy

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't like the Ripp sound at all, to me it definitely has a robotic fake sound to the exhaust. I forgot to record footage of my Solo Performance set, ill do it tomorrow. It sounds great im so glad i spent that money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts