Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this photo of a 2017 Challenger, in Fort Lauderdale, FL, that was converted to a drop-top for $18,000. Super cool. How many of you would buy this if it was offered by Dodge?

·
Registered
194 Posts
This beauty is at Fair Oaks Dodge $79k. If I had money to burn...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
If I lived in a more weather friendly state...............YES!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I came across this photo of a 2017 Challenger, in Fort Lauderdale, FL, that was converted to a drop-top for $18,000. Super cool. How many of you would buy this if it was offered by Dodge?

For $18K extra?

I'd rather buy more horsepower.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I remember when this sort of abomination used to be done to Camaros and Trans Ams back in the 1980s. They looked horrid with the top up. I believe the same outfit is still doing this because the modern Challengers have that same horribly unnatural squared off look when the top is up.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I remember when this sort of abomination used to be done to Camaros and Trans Ams back in the 1980s. They looked horrid with the top up. I believe the same outfit is still doing this because the modern Challengers have that same horribly unnatural squared off look when the top is up.
You know, I never EVER saw one with the top up. So, cancel my order. Jury is out. I am going off how they looked in the day, with the top up. Not the best. But it would be a top down type car.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Right you are. That rear angle is too much to hack. Perhaps IF Dodge did it........ OR leave the top DOWN. I think that is the answer. Well I'm not quite blind. I think that top up reminds me of a Cutlass back in the 70s or something.
Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
HEY! We glossed all over those chrome bumpers!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
Right you are. That rear angle is too much to hack. Perhaps IF Dodge did it........ OR leave the top DOWN. I think that is the answer. Well I'm not quite blind. I think that top up reminds me of a Cutlass back in the 70s or something.
Thanks!!!
Lol, it totally reminded me of the buick regal.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
49 Posts
Nice

I think the Challenger clearly makes a beautiful convertible. I think the company that does the conversion for $17K does a better job on the roof when up as I've seen their work and it wasn't too bad with the top up. I just wish they would do it on an entry level six-cylinder so as to bring the total cost of car and conversion down.

I wonder if they'd convert my car in about 10 years when I have $17K saved up to do it?

Such a shame Chrysler didn't elect to TRY to make them into convertibles. Mercedes did it with the E320 of the 1990s and it worked out beautifully.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Actually saw a lime green 2015+ Challenger with drop top at a vendor booth at Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale a few weeks ago. Oddly I only got a pic of the interior, as I was more interested in seeing Katzkin in person (cause I was getting it in a few weeks) than I was the drop top, ha ha. Interior had lime green leather bits on it, but I just wanted to see the quality myself first hand, ha ha.

Isn't the ongoing rumor that when the Challenger is redesigned next that they are also going to introduce a "Cuda" model? A smaller coupe to compete more directly with the Camaro and Mustang, but also to be offered in a convertible as well? Thought I read that some where.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Actually saw a lime green 2015+ Challenger with drop top at a vendor booth at Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale a few weeks ago. Oddly I only got a pic of the interior, as I was more interested in seeing Katzkin in person (cause I was getting it in a few weeks) than I was the drop top, ha ha. Interior had lime green leather bits on it, but I just wanted to see the quality myself first hand, ha ha.

Isn't the ongoing rumor that when the Challenger is redesigned next that they are also going to introduce a "Cuda" model? A smaller coupe to compete more directly with the Camaro and Mustang, but also to be offered in a convertible as well? Thought I read that some where.

That sounds good. I hope it is true. Expand. Pretty picture.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Here's mine from Drop-Top Customs. Most people don't know this, but it is my understanding that they were commissioned to design a top for Dodge but in the end Dodge did not think there was a strong enough market to do a convertible so Drop Top just started doing them. Anyway, here is mine... I think it looks fine with the top up. You have to see it in person with the top up to understand... pictures are only two dimensional so you loose what it really looks like in person from a picture. Here you go in case you haven't seen it on another thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Anybody know if it's legal in any states to do this and NOT put a soft top on it. Just chop the roof, finish it off, like a roadster, and then you only run it on days it's not raining?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
I did not realize having no top is illegal...heck I had a jeep in the early 90s and it had no top or doors...and sometimes no windshield. As long as I had side mirrors and glasses (when the windshield was down) all was good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts