Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I picked up a GT about 10 days ago, white............checked it good for defects before I left the dealership..........very sunny out that day and really couldn't see anything.

So a few days later I get a better look in my garage light, found a few what looked like pimples in the paint, also some dirt like stains, I was able to buff a few of these out with my Porter-Cable DA.

I figured the paint wasn't the best from the factory, but it is my DD. Then I discover more defects on the trunk lid, tried to buff that one out, seemed I made it worse, so I took it to a professional detailer, and under his way better lights than mine, just for the front hood, we found at least 15-20 pimple like defects..........he couldn't get the trunk any better, he was worried about going thru to the clear, which by now must be really close.

Don't want to make this into a long thread, although I'm doing a pretty good job at that. LOL

Now I bought the car from a Milwaukee dealer 90 miles away, I want to try to go to the Dodge dealer here in my home town (Bergstrom"s)

Not gonna flip out or nothing like that, but I need some guidance on what to do or say. ex, do I talk to the body shop first, or try the manager..........cant see going to a saleman for any help.

Then what happens when they say this is acceptable..........then what do I do.

This is my second challenger , the other was a 2010 SE...............now I'm thinking I wish I would never traded it in.......kinda of bummbed out, if they don't fix it right, I hate to go get it fixed at a body shop on my dime.........car is only 2 weeks old, 500 on it.

God knows how much I'm gonna lose if I trade it in with less that 1,000 on it.

Thanks for any help

Rich

·
Registered
197 Posts
Surprised no responses.. you have an interesting problem. What is acceptable paint work. Im not sure how id pursue this. I guess id start with the selling dealership, you could call dodge care or message them here. Please post as you work your way through ...good luck

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Hey guys, I picked up a GT about 10 days ago, white............checked it good for defects before I left the dealership..........very sunny out that day and really couldn't see anything.

So a few days later I get a better look in my garage light, found a few what looked like pimples in the paint, also some dirt like stains, I was able to buff a few of these out with my Porter-Cable DA.

I figured the paint wasn't the best from the factory, but it is my DD. Then I discover more defects on the trunk lid, tried to buff that one out, seemed I made it worse, so I took it to a professional detailer, and under his way better lights than mine, just for the front hood, we found at least 15-20 pimple like defects..........he couldn't get the trunk any better, he was worried about going thru to the clear, which by now must be really close.

Don't want to make this into a long thread, although I'm doing a pretty good job at that. LOL

Now I bought the car from a Milwaukee dealer 90 miles away, I want to try to go to the Dodge dealer here in my home town (Bergstrom"s)

Not gonna flip out or nothing like that, but I need some guidance on what to do or say. ex, do I talk to the body shop first, or try the manager..........cant see going to a saleman for any help.

Then what happens when they say this is acceptable..........then what do I do.

This is my second challenger , the other was a 2010 SE...............now I'm thinking I wish I would never traded it in.......kinda of bummbed out, if they don't fix it right, I hate to go get it fixed at a body shop on my dime.........car is only 2 weeks old, 500 on it.

God knows how much I'm gonna lose if I trade it in with less that 1,000 on it.

Thanks for any help

Rich
Rich, snap out of it. You are NOT going to do that. You got a perfect car you love, do NOT let this get the best of you.
One step at a time. First the dealership, if no satisfaction go to another dealer. You got a GREAT car after much deliberation. Don't let this fixable stuff ruin that......please! Fugetaboutit. Just go to the dealer and then react. Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Just see the service writer and tell him. He's not there to argue with you. There is protocol for that. Like you said 500 miles. Fugetaboutit!

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
There is a member on here who had Chrysler replace his car for a bad paint job. Ideally the car shouldn't be touched befor you showed them your concerns. There shouldn't be and blemishes in the paint on a new car and never acceptable or normal. I had a brand new Maxima years ago with spots in the paint and tuned out to be acid rain and the dealer tried to have an outside shop fix it and burned through the paint so the respayed a few panels, doing a poor job and I traded the car in at a loss. The kicker is they resold the first car for more than I bought it for so I really was angry.
Stand your ground, it's your hard earned money.
I called Nissan after they touched it and they said if they were called first it would have been handled much differently.
Best of luck to you, someone here may remember who here had the same issue as you.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I am the guy that had a car replaced by Dodge over what sound like very similar issues with the paint. In addition to the dirt in the paint on every panel, I also two spots above the center of both doors where the clear seemed to be missing. This is what I went through and obviously it can vary depending on who you talk to.

Like you, only saw the problems under my garage lighting 5 days after I picked the car up. Contacted the dealer the following Monday, they brought me in the next day (this was day 8 of ownership). Service Advisor noted the problems, took pictures, sent them to the District Rep.

District Rep met me at the dealership 2 weeks later, told me that the pictures were non-conclusive so he wanted to see the car in person. After a 2 minute walk-around, he told me that there was no way they could repaint the entire car. He agreed that there were obvious problems. My choices were to order a new model (any FCA product) or find one at a dealer. Fortunately the car I have now had just arrived at the dealer, so it was locked away while the paperwork was done. It took 3 weeks to finalize everything, and I was able to continue driving the buy-back Redline Red car while my gorgeous Go Mango SPS was still locked away waiting for me. There was a third party mediator involved but the whole process was completely painless aside from just taking a few weeks. When the day arrived, I met the third party rep at the dealership, he did a full inspection of the buy-back car while I finished the paperwork on the new one. There was a $300 difference in the sticker between the two so a check was mailed to me.

Just be calm, honest, and it will work out. Call the local dealership, explain the problem to them or better yet, take it in and see someone in Service and hopefully they will get the process started for you. Take a good LED flashlight with you in case it is a sunny day and they dont have an opening to pull you inside, this will help to show those flaws. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks guys for the tips.............the dealer I went to took pics and said he was gonna send them in, checked this last Friday, seems he hasn't sent them in yet, I guess he was waiting for a quote from the body shop. So hopefully they go out Monday.

Not sure on how this goes, but they said normal procedure is to wet sand the defects and re-buff, which should be real interesting seeing I'm thru the clear in the trunk panel.

The problem i see on this deal is wet sanding and re-buffing, is what is that gonna do to the thin clear coat, which I seemed to go thru with a DA machine, and I didn't even go that long...............I buffed my 2010 waaaaaaaaaaay more than I touched this car.

I'm old and don't have time on my side. LOL, Well see how this turns out.

One thing I was shocked on was went to 3 different shops on fixing this , all estimates were between $ 550-600. Must be taking off that camera spoiler is just too much for these guys. LOL

Just to be clear, I never expected a show car paint for my DD, and to be honest these "paint nibs" are very hard to see, you have to bend in every direction and hope to see them...........im getting pretty good at it though..........was in Milwaukee today and looked at a Hell Cat that was in a showroom........Black and found at least 5 of these "nibs ", and that was only on one side that I looked at.

I"ll keep you guys updated, thanks for taking the time.

Hey Silver Scat, guess where that tail strip might end up on my car. LOL.......only issue with that I'm thinking it might not cover up the whole thing.

Rich

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I had some of these on my hood. (2015, owned since new). I used Iron X, and clay bar to no avail, I just went and had it scuffed and painted matte black at a local body shop. They paint work, (I had a little more than just the hood done) was 1200.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Hey thanks guys for the tips.............the dealer I went to took pics and said he was gonna send them in, checked this last Friday, seems he hasn't sent them in yet, I guess he was waiting for a quote from the body shop. So hopefully they go out Monday.

Not sure on how this goes, but they said normal procedure is to wet sand the defects and re-buff, which should be real interesting seeing I'm thru the clear in the trunk panel.

The problem i see on this deal is wet sanding and re-buffing, is what is that gonna do to the thin clear coat, which I seemed to go thru with a DA machine, and I didn't even go that long...............I buffed my 2010 waaaaaaaaaaay more than I touched this car.

One thing I was shocked on was went to 3 different shops on fixing this , all estimates were between $ 550-600. Must be taking off that camera spoiler is just too much for these guys. LOL

Just to be clear, I never expected a show car paint for my DD, and to be honest these "paint nibs" are very hard to see, you have to bend in every direction and hope to see them...........im getting pretty good at it though..........was in Milwaukee today and looked at a Hell Cat that was in a showroom........Black and found at least 5 of these "nibs ", and that was only on one side that I looked at.

Hey Silver Scat, guess where that tail strip might end up on my car. LOL.......only issue with that I'm thinking it might not cover up the whole thing.

Rich

NOBODY knows what you are talking about Rich.........GET IT? That is the way the car came, let them fix the "whole" car.
Wink wink, NOBODY KNOWS!

·
Registered
116 Posts
You have a right to be PO!!! I'm 62 and have owned a 2016 Torred and now a 2017 Gomango and both have the worst paint of any car I have ever owned. Orange peel, trash under clearcoat, imperfections in clearcoat, scratches easily, and after less than 24 hrs. a permanent bug etching in the header clearcoat. I tried a lite polish on the etching but decided to just live with it. I know its a Dodge and only a $45k car, but please give us better clear so we can polish without fear of damage! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
You have a right to be PO!!! I'm 62 and have owned a 2016 Torred and now a 2017 Gomango and both have the worst paint of any car I have ever owned. Orange peel, trash under clearcoat, imperfections in clearcoat, scratches easily, and after less than 24 hrs. a permanent bug etching in the header clearcoat. I tried a lite polish on the etching but decided to just live with it. I know its a Dodge and only a $45k car, but please give us better clear so we can polish without fear of damage! Good luck.

Wow, Ignorance IS bliss! (glad I don't know what I am looking at)

·
Registered
1 Posts

Rich
How did Dodge resolve the paint issue on your Challenger? I had a similar problem. Took it to a Dodge service center. They were nice and took pictures. This was just a couple of days ago, so I haven't heard back yet. Mine was a bubble in the paint by the wheel well, toward the rocker. I asked the person taking the pictures, and he said it looked like rust to him. Yikes! I bought it in late March and found the bubble just a few months later. From what I've seen online, a number of owners are having paint problems.
Best wishes,
Frank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts