Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
All AWD will have a 3.07.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,426 Posts
This one is an AWD with 52K miles. Any reason to shy away from one of these? Is the AWD system risky at all?
If the local environment/weather is such that an AWD car is advantageous to have, the AWD system in the Challenger is perfectly capable, and it is mature enough by now that there are no inherent problems to have to deal with as the miles are accumulated.

The AWD system in general (not specific to any make/model) does have some drawbacks when compared to a RWD or FWD setup that, if taken too lightly, will be done at one’s own peril.

For example, rotating the tires on schedule is an absolute must, and if any suspension components wear out and cause uneven tire wear, the situation has to be identified and resolved immediately. The AWD system does not tolerate uneven tire treads on its axles for long without it causing issues to the AWD hardware itself.

This also effects how tires are replaced. It’s best to do all 4 at once, but 2 at a time is acceptable as long as they are on the same axle. Replacing tires 1 at a time is unacceptable, as is 2 if done on different axles.

The AWD hardware also has its own service maintenance requirements, and they have to be factored into any preventative maintenance budgets, and ignoring them is certainly done at one’s own peril.

In other words, buying an AWD Challenger is fine, assuming the AWD functionality is needed.

But getting one ‘just because’ when it isn’t actually beneficial to have AWD is a bad idea IMHO.

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Reading Nuke above reminds of a story about a dealer who got an AWD Charger's entire powertrain warranty voided because the owner had no documentation that the tires had ever been rotated. He bought the car new and probably had about 35K on it when the transfer case died and he was left on his own.

So definitely let the dealer do your rotations or in some way with your own maintenance log or in the back of your Owner's Manual, document it fully with the date and mileage that you do it.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
293 Posts
Reading Nuke above reminds of a story about a dealer who got an AWD Charger's entire powertrain warranty voided because the owner had no documentation that the tires had ever been rotated. He bought the car new and probably had about 35K on it when the transfer case died and he was left on his own.

So definitely let the dealer do your rotations or in some way with your own maintenance log or in the back of your Owner's Manual, document it fully with the date and mileage that you do it.

Reminds me of when I worked at the Chev dealer in the 90's. We had a GMC Safari AWD towed in from the freeway just out of town. It was a GM executive on his way from Detroit to Oshawa and he had a flat about an hour from our dealership. The tire shop replaced the tire with one size smaller than the other three (don't recall the exact size but for example a '75' to a '70'). In about 60 miles he had destroyed the AWD transfer case and the front differential. That was an expensive bill that the tire shop had to pay.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have 76,000 miles on my GT and the only issue I have ever had is the alternator died. I was shocked that the factory tires lasted 66,000 miles since it’s a heavy vehicle and also because I only rotated them one time.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,426 Posts
I have 76,000 miles on my GT and the only issue I have ever had is the alternator died. I was shocked that the factory tires lasted 66,000 miles since it’s a heavy vehicle and also because I only rotated them one time.
Your experience is probably an exception and shouldn’t be considered the norm for that setup.

If 10 other GT drivers tried that same approach, I would be shocked if at least 8 of them didn’t have problems arise from it.

Also, IIRC the GTs run a 19” wheel and tire don’t they? How is the cost of those 19” tires when compared to the standard 18” or 20” tires that come on the non-AWDs?

I’m just thinking that if the 19” tire these cars require is more expensive due to its less common sizing, that would be yet another bullet point to address when considering the pros/cons of owning an AWD Challenger.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have 2017 GT with 55k miles. Not a single issue. Recently changed out factory tires but still running with original brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts