Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 was a short model year, only about 9 months, but these numbers are down, way down!

2,987 Challenger Hellcats*

Compare that to 11,995* sold in 2016, wow what a drop off, so looks like Demon and Widebody coming along just in time to get sales picked back up.

*Thanks to Resume Speed for the numbers.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
2017 was a short model year, only about 9 months, but these numbers are down, way down!

2,987 Challenger Hellcats*

Compare that to 11,995* sold in 2016, wow what a drop off, so looks like Demon and Widebody coming along just in time to get sales picked back up.

*Thanks to Resume Speed for the numbers.

At a $7K option for flares and wider tires/wheels, I don't see lots of guys waiting in line to buy the widebody. A ton of New Hellcats on ebay for under Invoice, some considerably. Dodge should not have limited Demon production to 3k cars, they are not too bright IMO, explains why they are number 3 of the 3 US car makers.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They probably did build too many in 2016 but the dealers ordered and paid for them so FCA not gonna say no. And while Hellcat production was down overall Challenger production did just fine outselling Camaro for several months in 2017 and in June, outselling Mustang for the first time ever.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
At a $7K option for flares and wider tires/wheels, I don't see lots of guys waiting in line to buy the widebody. A ton of New Hellcats on ebay for under Invoice, some considerably. Dodge should not have limited Demon production to 3k cars, they are not too bright IMO, explains why they are number 3 of the 3 US car makers.

So they haven't sold all they have made so far but are dumb for limiting the Demon production...thus duplicating the massive push for the Demon like the first year hell cat..

And you're saying they are not too bright. :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
So they haven't sold all they have made so far but are dumb for limiting the Demon production...thus duplicating the massive push for the Demon like the first year hell cat..

And you're saying they are not too bright. :lol:
Try reading slowly, so you can understand...

Making models that people are not buying while also limiting production on a model that has shown interest well above the production limit is a poor business model, Eisenstein.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts

Making models that people are not buying while also limiting production on a model that has shown interest well above the production limit is a poor business model, Eisenstein.
Whoa, black betty.

Sometimes making money isn't the only thing to life. Otherwise Dodge wouldn't bother with this and they would just make bland commuter cars like Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
I'll venture the dealers putting the markups on 'Cats helped push down sales.

Either two things are taking place - people hold off until dealers discount their inventory below MSRP or holding off to buy used '15 / '16s turning up.

After all, there's 18K built during the first two years, if 30% turn up as used, people buy those.

If a dealer has slow moving inventory, they order less and FCA builds fewer of that model. Dealers helped the demise in sales on this model, plus there's probably a more limited market for $65K+ models.

I can see the logic in limiting Demon production - no sense in having leftover inventory to sell at discounts - it undermines the value of the model.

Viper's got a $15k reduction in MSRP, and the sales still were low on that model, contributing to the decision to end production.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

I understood it perfectly....

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
I think that Hellcat sales are down because it is a fairly expensive niche car. Everyone who was hot to get one has done so. Others are waiting to buy a Demon. The sweet spot for buyers wanting an affordable and practical muscle car is the 485 hp Scat Pack.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think that Hellcat sales are down because it is a fairly expensive niche car. Everyone who was hot to get one has done so. Others are waiting to buy a Demon. The sweet spot for buyers wanting an affordable and practical muscle car is the 485 hp Scat Pack.
You are correct, the Hellcat is an expensive niche car, but so is the ZL1 and GT350. I believe Sales are down due to the pricing coupled with the perception it's a one trick straight line pony versus the handling superiority of it's competition. Additionally, from a styling aspect, other than the hood, there is not much that distinguishes the Hellcat from a base Challenger. It was a great idea to add width to the HC via the widebody option, but as I stated before, adding a $7k price tag isn't going to help sales.

Aholes are paying a $20k ADM to dealerships for the Demon which provides 0 benefit to Dodge's bottom line. They would have been much better off taking as many orders for Demons as they could fill. I wanted one badly, but was not about to drop an extra $20k over the $90k sales price. I currently have a GT350 and Focus RS in my garage and went through that BS with Ford already. These numbered/low production specialty vehicles really bring out the scum factor in car dealers.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Really when you look at a dealer's floor plan.One Hellcat is about equal to 3 jeep's or a few trucks better to have things sitting around that will sell.Throw the insurance premium on and here is a car that is going to be limited to sell.Dodge new what they were doing that is why they pumped out 20 plus thousand the first couple years.Now we have the Trackhawk and hope a truck with that sweet engine in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts