Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got these seats and just want to know if I'll screw anything up if the existing plug doesn't match the plug on the leather seats. Never done this before so want to be careful and not mess up a perfectly good wiring harness.
I did the door panels no problem.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
436 Posts
I highly doubt they changed the plug. Probably just the same plug with extra wires. Worst case scenario you can buy new plugs and re-terminate the wires... however, how do you plan on turning these seats on and off? Unless I am mistaken, the on/off is strictly through the radio. Would probably have to enable some feature. Maybe that mystical Tazer I hear so much about could do it, but outside of that it would probably a trip to the dealer and they will probably want to sell you a new computer rather than enable it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I highly doubt they changed the plug. Probably just the same plug with extra wires. Worst case scenario you can buy new plugs and re-terminate the wires... however, how do you plan on turning these seats on and off? Unless I am mistaken, the on/off is strictly through the radio. Would probably have to enable some feature. Maybe that mystical Tazer I hear so much about could do it, but outside of that it would probably a trip to the dealer and they will probably want to sell you a new computer rather than enable it.
That's right, thanks for reminding me. My first new Challenger experience was a rental R/T Plus with heated seats. I bought this "plain" R/T after swearing off new cars, since I hated every one I ever drove...Did not plan on getting a new car any time soon - I hate you, Dodge! :) Now I am in love with this car. These seats are beautiful even if I can't get the heat to work. I would think, and am a computer illiterate, it could possibly be added like an AP? That would make sense if someone wanted to add something like GPS after they bought it but am not that familiar with how they do this stuff with new cars.
As you may have noticed, I'm new to this forum and appreciate the response and help.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
436 Posts
Adding heated seats is easy if you just want on/off, recently did it to my truck. Power, ground, pads, fuse, and a switch. You can use the seats you got and just figure out what wires go to the heater pads.

Now that I think of it, the wires are might already on the body side. Odds are they just threw their generic one size fits all body harness in and put unheated seats in.

Without finding the actual prints,this site is a good guide. Keep in mind it is not always 100% accurate. Get a meter and double check before you start cutting and tapping. Looks like "Inline-Body/Seat Driver" and "... Pass" are the main plugs. If they already have your heated seat wiring on the body side, you could chase it to somewhere convenient/pretty for you to put a switch, use the one end going to the seat, and cap off or remove the rest. ?Should? already be fused.

Before you start talk to your local dealer, or find someone more knowledgeable about it than I, and see if activating the controls in the radio is a big deal or not. It might just be an overpriced flip of a switch like the fog lights.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adding heated seats is easy if you just want on/off, recently did it to my truck. Power, ground, pads, fuse, and a switch. You can use the seats you got and just figure out what wires go to the heater pads.

Now that I think of it, the wires are might already on the body side. Odds are they just threw their generic one size fits all body harness in and put unheated seats in.

Without finding the actual prints,this site is a good guide. Keep in mind it is not always 100% accurate. Get a meter and double check before you start cutting and tapping. Looks like "Inline-Body/Seat Driver" and "... Pass" are the main plugs. If they already have your heated seat wiring on the body side, you could chase it to somewhere convenient/pretty for you to put a switch, use the one end going to the seat, and cap off or remove the rest. ?Should? already be fused.

Before you start talk to your local dealer, or find someone more knowledgeable about it than I, and see if activating the controls in the radio is a big deal or not. It might just be an overpriced flip of a switch like the fog lights.

I actually did go to the local dealer service dept, who happens to be the second largest car dealer in the country, and ask about doing this. The only real valuable info they gave me is when they looked up the VIN they concluded that the car body harness is wired for heated seats but they said plugs can change during a production year. I'm wondering if the local body shop might know how to activate the screen controls. They did tell me that if the right prongs aren't in the plug, the heat won't work but the other stuff should. The leather seats I'm using came out of a Scat Pack - I was fortunate enough to test drive one with this interior and it's gorgeous. I bought a leather back seat that I've already put in which is a peice of cake. Didn't think it would make that much difference but it looks so much better than cloth. I know a lot of classic car geeks, not too many new car geeks.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
Enabling features would require the right scan tool. Or it's possible AlfaOBD or similar can do it? ChallyTatum might know

A Guy

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
436 Posts
I actually did go to the local dealer service dept, who happens to be the second largest car dealer in the country, and ask about doing this. The only real valuable info they gave me is when they looked up the VIN they concluded that the car body harness is wired for heated seats but they said plugs can change during a production year. I'm wondering if the local body shop might know how to activate the screen controls. They did tell me that if the right prongs aren't in the plug, the heat won't work but the other stuff should. The leather seats I'm using came out of a Scat Pack - I was fortunate enough to test drive one with this interior and it's gorgeous. I bought a leather back seat that I've already put in which is a piece of cake. Didn't think it would make that much difference but it looks so much better than cloth. I know a lot of classic car geeks, not too many new car geeks.
Pictures of both sides of the plug could help, especially the contacts. Also with it connected, just make sure the colors match on each side. If it plugged in I would ask the dealer if they can {or will} turn that control page on or not. Some things are worth the pain and I love my heated seats and the steering wheel. Awesome.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's not a challenger but maybe this will help. I had a '13 Ram Sport without heated seats as it was the only year after the redesign that heated seats were an option. They were standard after that. Anyway, drove me nuts I didn't have heated seats as it can get cold here in the winter. I found a set of Sport seats that did have the heating elements and added them. Now the Ram also had physical buttons so I changed those out and without doing anything else the seats worked fine. The only thing was they didn't come on when you started the truck from the fob and didn't show in the Connect screen. Found the code, went to a friendly dealer and they flashed it and it worked. And full factory heated seats after that.

I realize this isn't a Challenger but there is a good chance the wiring harness is the same. It probably is so close in wiring to what it would be for not adding the wiring it is cheaper for them to simply have the same harness. As for the plug, to help, make sure you get seats from the same model year. That is a big one. Also, they should have a module under them (grey box with at least 2 plugs) that goes up the the tiring in the seat bottoms and backs. Once you get all of that installed, then I would look into AlfaOBD to enable the seats. I don't have the thread but over on the Ram Forum there is a good one for programming with it. If it tell you anything, a couple of guys over there made me a harness and I added auto climate control to my current '18 ram. It's not dual zone as that would require a whole lot of work behind the dash, but it is auto and for a reg cab truck that works fine. While I did have to get a harness everything else was there to make this work and then I just enabled it with AlfaOBD. In the case of heated seats, because of the airbags requiring power, there is a good chance what you need is physically there and you just have to add the seats and enable them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not a challenger but maybe this will help. I had a '13 Ram Sport without heated seats as it was the only year after the redesign that heated seats were an option. They were standard after that. Anyway, drove me nuts I didn't have heated seats as it can get cold here in the winter. I found a set of Sport seats that did have the heating elements and added them. Now the Ram also had physical buttons so I changed those out and without doing anything else the seats worked fine. The only thing was they didn't come on when you started the truck from the fob and didn't show in the Connect screen. Found the code, went to a friendly dealer and they flashed it and it worked. And full factory heated seats after that.

I realize this isn't a Challenger but there is a good chance the wiring harness is the same. It probably is so close in wiring to what it would be for not adding the wiring it is cheaper for them to simply have the same harness. As for the plug, to help, make sure you get seats from the same model year. That is a big one. Also, they should have a module under them (grey box with at least 2 plugs) that goes up the the tiring in the seat bottoms and backs. Once you get all of that installed, then I would look into AlfaOBD to enable the seats. I don't have the thread but over on the Ram Forum there is a good one for programming with it. If it tell you anything, a couple of guys over there made me a harness and I added auto climate control to my current '18 ram. It's not dual zone as that would require a whole lot of work behind the dash, but it is auto and for a reg cab truck that works fine. While I did have to get a harness everything else was there to make this work and then I just enabled it with AlfaOBD. In the case of heated seats, because of the airbags requiring power, there is a good chance what you need is physically there and you just have to add the seats and enable them.

Thanks for the reply! The seats are out of a '17 and I'm putting them in my '18. There is a possibility the prongs are different and I'll have to find out when I go to plug it in. I know what you mean about the harnesses and suspect it will be the same for the screen controls. It's cheaper to have the stuff in there and just enable whatever options come with that particular car. The dealer told me the VIN shows it has the option for heated seats. It also occurred to me that somehow the screen controls will enable when it's plugged in but as you say, maybe it has to be done with whatever the AlfaOBD thing is. I've been told the worse case scenario is that the heat won't work. I just don't want to ruin my harness.

I'm also wondering with all this computer stuff if I need to disconnect the battery before installing them? From what I'm seeing on youtube disconnecting the battery on one of these cars is not cut and dry like it used to be.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll just post a general question about installing front bucket seats in my Challenger. The videos I've seen do not say it is necessary to disconnect the battery. Just unplug and remove. That would seem likely since most of the situations for removing seats was for drag racing and I would think it would be a pain in the ass to disconnect the battery in the trunk just to take seats out.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
436 Posts
I'll just post a general question about installing front bucket seats in my Challenger. The videos I've seen do not say it is necessary to disconnect the battery. Just unplug and remove. That would seem likely since most of the situations for removing seats was for drag racing and I would think it would be a pain in the ass to disconnect the battery in the trunk just to take seats out.
Pretty much everything you do on the car, the first step is to disconnect the battery. It is in there because this one time in band camp, someone disconnected a plug and an airbag deployed. It is in the book to save dealer's money. Whether or not you do it is up to you. There is probably also a fuse for the airbags that I am too lazy to look up right now.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Thanks. I know people who had problems replacing airbags and disconnecting the battery and melted the wiring. They claim it was disconnected and reconnected after installation and then disconnected again and that's what caused the failure.
No, that’s not how any of that works. They did something else.

disconnecting the battery is just a safety precaution to prevent an accidental airbag deployment (someone was actually killed last year because of an accidental deployment), it also protects the electrical system.

it’s unlikely you will have problems by leaving the battery connected but it’s 2 minutes work and worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I know people who had problems replacing airbags and disconnecting the battery and melted the wiring. They claim it was disconnected and reconnected after installation and then disconnected again and that's what caused the failure.
No, that’s not how any of that works. They did something else.
Probably. The seats that are going in to the car will not have airbags. I've been told it will just throw a code. Is that all?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with everyone else to disconnect he battery. Doing so, in and of itself, cannot mess up wiring, something else was done. If the car had airbags, and you remove them, they will throw a code. Not sure if you can clear that to not show either. IMHO, if the car had airbags, add them back with seats that also have them. Removing a safety items could cause you to not be covered by your, or someone else's insurance, for medical bills because you compromised the safety system of the vehicle.

As for the screen controls, they will not just show up. They will have to be programmed. If your dealer is cool, they will be able to find out the code and attempt to program it for you. Most of the time it should work. If not Alfa OBD is an application you can get on the Google Play store, and use a Bluetooth module to change computer programming. The Android device communicates via BT to the module and it plugs into the OBD port on the vehicle. Nice thing, you can save the current settings before you start so if you mess up, you can restore back to the factory settings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It may or may not set a code. It really depends on the manufacturer.

17 and 18 seats both have airbags. If the airbags have been removed you will have both a code and the airbag light on.

That's ok, the guy at the local body shop told me people drive around for thousands of miles with an airbag code - I drove a car for over 200K with a check engine light on. This '18 Challenger has had the gas cap light and check engine light on for at least 20K. I had a mechanic use a scan tool to check it and he told me it was nothing to be concerned about because the car runs too well. He also told me the gas cap code often gets activated for really mundane reasons. I have a gas cap code in my 07 RAM truck that I've been ignoring for over 10K.
Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That's ok, the guy at the local body shop told me people drive around for thousands of miles with an airbag code - I drove a car for over 200K with a check engine light on. This '18 Challenger has had the gas cap light and check engine light on for at least 20K. I had a mechanic use a scan tool to check it and he told me it was nothing to be concerned about because the car runs too well. He also told me the gas cap code often gets activated for really mundane reasons. I have a gas cap code in my 07 RAM truck that I've been ignoring for over 10K.
Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate the help!
The code itself is not the problem, you mentioned that the new seats will not have airbags in them. Where did the airbags go?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with everyone else to disconnect he battery. Doing so, in and of itself, cannot mess up wiring, something else was done. If the car had airbags, and you remove them, they will throw a code. Not sure if you can clear that to not show either. IMHO, if the car had airbags, add them back with seats that also have them. Removing a safety items could cause you to not be covered by your, or someone else's insurance, for medical bills because you compromised the safety system of the vehicle.

As for the screen controls, they will not just show up. They will have to be programmed. If your dealer is cool, they will be able to find out the code and attempt to program it for you. Most of the time it should work. If not Alfa OBD is an application you can get on the Google Play store, and use a Bluetooth module to change computer programming. The Android device communicates via BT to the module and it plugs into the OBD port on the vehicle. Nice thing, you can save the current settings before you start so if you mess up, you can restore back to the factory settings.
Good point about insurance and I could do several things to solve the problem: take the airbags out of my existing cloth seats and use those or take the leather/suede seat covers off of the "new" seats and put them on the originals. I'm hoping to get the heated seat feature to work so really don't want to change covers. I also am hesitant about taking the current airbags out and putting them in the leather seats and causing damage. In any case, I stay positive and consider this car a Blessing, and drive it like it was a $250K car. Don't get me wrong, this car makes me do "bad" things but know my limits. In my humble opinion, this car has nothing to prove. It's a magnificent machine and Dodge deserves great praise, again, in my opinion.

I could tell a story about the guy in the Porsche Cayman who pulled in to the parking lot while I was facing out in his direction loading stuff in my car. His hot girlfriend got out and could not take her eyes off of my car... that happens often as I'm sure many of you have experienced, right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts