Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finally being able to download and install the latest uconnect update, I went ahead and purchased the 2017 Uconnect Navigation Map Update. Here are some things I ran into:

Ordering: I went to www.driveuconnect.com . Choose the "support" menu, then "map updates". This links you to Chrylser Group products, for maps. Notice in the upper right corner of the page is a little Flag? For some reason, it seems to default to the Canadian Flag, Unless you're Canadian, you need to click on the flag, where you will come to a page which you can choose, Canadian(en) Canadian(fr) Mexico(en) or United States(en). When I tried to fill out the address info, it wouldn't work, and their phone support had no idea what the problem was. The United States page allows you to order and get free shipping.

Shipping: They use fedex, but use the "smartpost" option, which means they give it over to the USPS for final delivery, which cost me another 2 days of waiting.

Pictured below is the kit they send, much like the way computer software is packaged. It has instructions, the usb, and the all important "Product Serial Number".

Installation pointers:

They start out by giving directions to update The uconnect software first, which is NOT included with the kit. Once you're up to date with the uconnect software, you must get online, using info from your cars system information, you obtain the "activation code". They show you, and email you the code. Print it out, you'll need it. Only then, can you go back out to the car with the kit, and info to install the update. You'll be dealing with your VIN, Request Code, Software version, and Product Serial Number. Lots of digits to double check. In the instructions, they say once you start installing it will take 45 minutes, They are full of cow excrement, I timed it at, get this, 1 hour 40 minutes!!!! I followed the instructions EXACTLY! Which means you start and run the car through the whole install. At the end, they warn you that even though the radio is playing and it looks like it done, ITS NOT, you must wait until the proper screen displays. I suggest bring a book, tablet, whatever. At the end of the instructions, they have a paragraph titled: "Getting Help". Which should tell you something.

After all that, Everything seems to work great, but wow! what a PITA!! Good luck!
Scott

IMG_0877.jpg
IMG_0879.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
I did this update a couple of weeks ago.

After sitting in the car for 45 minutes, I could see it wasn't even close to being finished with the upload from the thumb drive. I then drove around while it finished up. I swear, it was more like an hour and a half. :surprise: I thought I must have a really slooow head unit. :grin2:

Here is my thread about it...

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f314/nav-updates-available-2015-a-609489/

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
PS: you can run the update w/o starting the engine.

you put ignition "ON" w/o pressing brake pedal (A8) or clutch pedal (M6)

to conserve battery drain:
>turn off HVAC (press "OFF")
>turn off auto headlights
>keep door closed (no interior lights)
>unplug any radar detectors or tuner devices

After ~ 30 minutes, the ignition can cycle to "OFF", but courtesy power remains on - if you don't open doors.
>press the ignition back to "ON" [not pressing any pedals - see above]

There's really no reason to idle the engine for that length of time for a software install / update.

The head unit will go through a number of re-boots, power cycles and you'll see lights and chimes along with various messages as the system is going throught the install process.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did this update a couple of weeks ago.

After sitting in the car for 45 minutes, I could see it wasn't even close to being finished with the upload from the thumb drive. I then drove around while it finished up. I swear, it was more like an hour and a half. :surprise: I thought I must have a really slooow head unit. :grin2:

Here is my thread about it...

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f314/nav-updates-available-2015-a-609489/

Like I said, I timed it, and the update took one-hour and 40 minutes, before cycling the ignition 2 times at the end. I guess we both have slow head units.

PS: you can run the update w/o starting the engine.

There's really no reason to idle the engine for that length of time for a software install / update..

I don't know about that, I really didn't want to take a chance of "bricking" the head unit. Yeah, I hated running the car that long, but the consequences of screwing it up, seemed to be a lot worse. I'm glad it worked for you though...

Scott

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,554 Posts
Doing the install on my 2015 RT+ and I am on 82% with 1 hour 45 minutes elapsed. I did not start the car but per the instructions I set the car to Run (hooked up a battery charger). Instructions say it could take up to 45 minutes and if you read further they say about an hour. Talk about being way off! If I had the dealership install that would be a $160 labor charger (2 hours).

Update: 2 hours and 20 minutes passed by. I get in the car and everything is off. Tap the uconnect screen and it says "wait 2-5 minutes". About a minute in, the screen pops up and it now says total progress 67%....WTF, it was 82% 15 minutes ago. Gawd Damn you Uconnect...doesn't anything you do work correctly!!!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,554 Posts
Doing the install on my 2015 RT+ and I am on 82% with 1 hour 45 minutes elapsed. I did not start the car but per the instructions I set the car to Run (hooked up a battery charger). Instructions say it could take up to 45 minutes and if you read further they say about an hour. Talk about being way off! If I had the dealership install that would be a $160 labor charger (2 hours).

Update: 2 hours and 20 minutes passed by. I get in the car and everything is off. Tap the uconnect screen and it says "wait 2-5 minutes". About a minute in, the screen pops up and it now says total progress 67%....WTF, it was 82% 15 minutes ago. Gawd Damn you Uconnect...doesn't anything you do work correctly!!!
Update again: After the second time of seeing 82% complete, and seeing it restart at 67% I decided to sit in the car. Sure enough, at 82% total and 54% unit 3 complete the screen goes black. I sit there for 5 minutes and nothing, I touch the screen and nothing, I finally cycle the key to run and 67% total complete pops up for the 3rd time. I am going to let it run again an revisit in the morning. Wonder if starting the car is required? Seems stupid to have a car run for almost 2 hours for an update.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
Update again: After the second time of seeing 82% complete, and seeing it restart at 67% I decided to sit in the car. Sure enough, at 82% total and 54% unit 3 complete the screen goes black. I sit there for 5 minutes and nothing, I touch the screen and nothing, I finally cycle the key to run and 67% total complete pops up for the 3rd time. I am going to let it run again an revisit in the morning. Wonder if starting the car is required? Seems stupid to have a car run for almost 2 hours for an update.
Its seems that after 20 mins of Key On, Engine Off - the system will power down. You can switch to ON again (engine still off) and continue.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,554 Posts
Its seems that after 20 mins of Key On, Engine Off - the system will power down. You can switch to ON again (engine still off) and continue.
Funny thing is the ignition is off (ignition switch does not show off, everything in the car is dead but the screen and USB blinking) and the update continues until it hits the 82% mark. Then the screen goes dead and I switch the ignition to RUN and the update starts from 67%. I am pretty much stuck at 82% point. When I get home I will just start the engine and see if it will resume. The instructions don't say the engine must be running. This fine moment of frustration brought to you again by Uconnect. :soapbox:

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
Funny thing is the ignition is off (ignition switch does not show off, everything in the car is dead but the screen and USB blinking) and the update continues until it hits the 82% mark. Then the screen goes dead and I switch the ignition to RUN and the update starts from 67%. I am pretty much stuck at 82% point. When I get home I will just start the engine and see if it will resume. The instructions don't say the engine must be running. This fine moment of frustration brought to you again by Uconnect. :soapbox:
probably take a slow drive and see what happens vs. just sitting idling...might as well makes some use out of burning that fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
probably take a slow drive and see what happens vs. just sitting idling...might as well makes some use out of burning that fuel.

Do this ^^^

Something is cutting off power to your head unit while you are trying to upload the maps. So once it gets power again, it reverts back to the last "chunk" that uploaded successfully and starts from there.

I applaud your patience though. I would have pulled my hair out by now.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,554 Posts
So I go home and fired up the beast. Screen popped up at the same spot last night 67%. Thought about driving around but I did not know how long. Well 1 hour and 10 minutes later the install was complete. Nucking Futs guys!

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
So I go home and fired up the beast. Screen popped up at the same spot last night 67%. Thought about driving around but I did not know how long. Well 1 hour and 10 minutes later the install was complete. Nucking Futs guys!
I'm going to pass on doing Nav update - not only do they make you pay for it...and then take 70 minutes to install...nah.

I just want my Sport Mode function back...are you uConnect programmers reading this?!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,554 Posts
I'm going to pass on doing Nav update - not only do they make you pay for it...and then take 70 minutes to install...nah.

I just want my Sport Mode function back...are you uConnect programmers reading this?!
Here, let me put it in a language they can understand:

Wǒ zhǐ xiǎng yào wǒ de yùndòng móshì gōngnéng huílái

Oh and the nav update is more like 2 hours. It took about 45 minutes to get to 67%

·
Registered
95 Posts
To be honest I think the update is to expensive for a sub par navigation system. I will just stay with Google maps on the iPhone for now. For the record I haven't been impressed with uConnect in general.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts